DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Ridiculously Cheap DVD sets @ Target YMMV

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 06:37 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yeldarb367
My store still has seasons 2-8. I've passed on them multiple times but I'll check tonight for you (if you'd like).
Thanks! It would be great if you could help. eau911 at yahoo dot com
Old 08-12-05, 06:38 PM

got some

at my local target here in OKC. Murder She Wrote S1, Moonlighting S1, and Johnny Carson: The Ultimate edition. I took them up to the front and they rang up 39.99, 29.99, and 39.99. I said whoah, those were on a shelf that said 5.99. And she said im sorry, i cant do that. so of course, i ask for a manager, who it turns out also couldnt do that. and then i got the big manager who said over the radio "damn it, i told them not to put that new stock out at that price like it said." He came up to the front and told them to give them to me, as they were removing the others from the shelves.
Old 08-12-05, 06:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
My store still has seasons 2-8. I've passed on them multiple times but I'll check tonight for you (if you'd like).
I would think that any of us would buy sets we don't want for ourselves, to share with fellow DVDTalkers. The purpose of this forum is for us to help each other, right?

If no one here wants your extras, you can just return them to get your money back.

There is a thread in the exchange forum for this purpose.
Old 08-12-05, 07:06 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by illennium
And people are wondering why they're being watched by security guards...
The cart was in the open, it's not like it was behind the register or in the back.
Old 08-12-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Originally Posted by ultimomark
I however saw 3 Friends sets in a shopping cart behind the electronics center station and took them out because nobody was present.
And people are wondering why they're being watched by security guards...
Sounds like Target would be better off if the security guards watched the shopping carts instead!
Old 08-12-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RonMexico
The deal was probably killed by the usual: people grabbing up 20 copies just so they can sell them on Ebay.

A guy like me who absolutely wants ONE or two boxsets get screwed in the end.
I totally understand what you mean. Unfortunately, if I didn't grab a bunch of sets (which are for gifts/DVDtalk trades and not selling on ebay) someone else would. I by no means took the entire electronics sections like some people did, but I do understand where they are coming from. If you wanted in on this sale, you should have been there as soon as possible and not hesitated. I picked up 2 copies of BoB leaving one there, and told my friend. He had the nerve to yell at me when it was sold out 2 days later about taking too many. You snooze you lose, you know.

Last edited by paulringodaman; 08-12-05 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-12-05, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by RonMexico
The deal was probably killed by the usual: people grabbing up 20 copies just so they can sell them on Ebay.

A guy like me who absolutely wants ONE or two boxsets get screwed in the end.
Yeah, Target would NEVER notice a nationwide pattern of 90% underpricing if thousands of people just bought only one or two each!! Damn spoilers!
Old 08-12-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this still going on? If so I gotta call my targets and check!
Old 08-12-05, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ckw4b
New York update

1. Atlantic Avenue - there were only two copies of Friends (S4) on the shelf. Everything else was cleaned out. I couldn't find a scanner so I asked an employee to scan Friends S4. It came up $5.99, but he told me that shouldn't be on the shelf and took it away from me. I ran and grabbed the remaining copy and checked out easily.
What are the odds that the employee kept Friends for himself?
Old 08-12-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TNAJason
Is this still going on? If so I gotta call my targets and check!
others have stated this countless times and I shall do my part here as well.

First and most important rule of Bargains:
NEVER, EVER call to verify a misprice of any sort. That only notifies them of the mistake and will very likely reduce your chances of getting the deal at all.
Old 08-12-05, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I would think that any of us would buy sets we don't want for ourselves, to share with fellow DVDTalkers. The purpose of this forum is for us to help each other, right?

If no one here wants your extras, you can just return them to get your money back.

You know, I said this in another forum and got Flamed! I am glad to see others think this way too! I mean, around me their is 1 Target and thats it... Another is over 2 hours away... My 1 Target had none, so I was trying to get some that I had been wanted forever from others! Finally after emailing millions I got one good reply! Still looking for many though!

I am thinking of going back to scan more sets though... I only scanned the ones I wanted and BOB... Now, I think if I found any, I would buy and trade to others!
Old 08-12-05, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor

I bought multiples of 7 other sets so I did my part. I had three reasons for passing on these:

1. I didn't really want to add 7 seasons of LHOTP to the already excessive load of TV sets in my basket.

2. Even though they're $5.99, some of us can't front $50 (or more) for sets we're just going to send to someone else.

3. I'm in the process of moving and have minimal time to work out transactions and make trips to the post officce.

I really do want to help and have done the best with the extras I have.
Old 08-12-05, 08:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I bought multiples of 7 other sets so I did my part. I had three reasons for passing on these:

1. I didn't really want to add 7 seasons of LHOTP to the already excessive load of TV sets in my basket.

2. Even though they're $5.99, some of us can't front $50 (or more) for sets we're just going to send to someone else.

3. I'm in the process of moving and have minimal time to work out transactions and make trips to the post officce.

I really do want to help and have done the best with the extras I have.
Totally understood. I don't expect anyone to buy dozens and dozens of sets, or anything they can't afford. But I bought a few extra that I didn't want for myself to trade here and that seems reasonable.
Old 08-12-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

at my local target here in OKC. Murder She Wrote S1, Moonlighting S1, and Johnny Carson: The Ultimate edition. I took them up to the front and they rang up 39.99, 29.99, and 39.99. I said whoah, those were on a shelf that said 5.99. And she said im sorry, i cant do that. so of course, i ask for a manager, who it turns out also couldnt do that. and then i got the big manager who said over the radio "damn it, i told them not to put that new stock out at that price like it said." He came up to the front and told them to give them to me, as they were removing the others from the shelves.
Glad to hear that you got the deal even though they knew about it.

I checked the Target by 68th and Kalamazoo here in Grand Rapids, Michigan and no go.

I'll check the Wyoming one tomorrow morning since I have to go to Kmart right down the street. I don't feel like traversing 28th St. to get to that one or driving a half hour to the Jenison one.

Congraulations to those who scored on this awesome deal. I wish I would have known about it earlier so I could finish out my Friends, start Gilmore Girls, get Sex and the City for my friend, etc.

Note to self: Check DVD Bargains thread every day!
Old 08-12-05, 09:21 PM

Zekeburger1979, I checked the Alpine ave. Target in G.R. on Tuesday, no luck. I didn't think my chances were good and I didn't want to waste my time or gas checking the others so I gave up
Old 08-12-05, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Alpinemaps
I've searching for news of anyone having success in San Diego, and I haven't see it yet. Nearest San Diego store I've seen is Mission Viejo.

Oh, well. Glad everyone is getting in on the deal!
I think i was blind. I missed a post by DoggXXL where he says he found 3 stores but not which stores.

I also found someone on ebay in the San Marcos area selling Friends and LHotP season sets (searched for this since someone else here recommended trying that).
Old 08-12-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Funny story- My friend and I both had a Laguna Beach and a Fantastic 4 and checked out in separate check-outs. The computer started beeping during mine and it said something to the effect of not-in-stock, so I was not able to get those. At the same time, I saw my friend walking out with the biggest smile on his face.
Old 08-12-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Zekeburger1979, I checked the Alpine ave. Target in G.R. on Tuesday, no luck. I didn't think my chances were good and I didn't want to waste my time or gas checking the others so I gave up
I forgot about that store. I used to go out there all the time when the Best Buy out there was the closest one to where I was living at the time. Thanks for looking!
Old 08-12-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by scottp120
I stopped at the Target in Bowie, MD today to see if they had any Muppets Season 1 and they didn't have any. Well, why I was there I saw they had MacGyver Seasons 1+2 and finally found a scanner. What do you know, it's broken and says "See a sales representative for assistance". I walked out with nothing but some propel that was sale 3 6-packs for $10.
I was in the Target in Bowie at about 12:30 pm today. I scanned a bunch of sets all of which came up regular price. I was about to give up when I walked past the kids dvd section and i saw the Fantastic Four set and Joan of Arcadia with shelf tags of $5.99!! I took them to the register and they scanned at regular price. I acted surprised and said there was a shelf tag for them that said $5.99. The cashier said they could only sell them to me at the scanned price but I could speak to a manager at customer service. When i went over to CS, I took them over to the tags and showed them the price. and we both went back to CS. She said she would have to get authorization to sell them to me at that price and walked away. They had me waiting there for about 30 minutes until they came back and refused to sell them to me at they price.

They offered to give me a 30% discount on any 2 TV DVD set I wanted. Now their counter offer is of course a "bait and switch" tactic. They actually tried to take advantage of their own mistake by trying to get me to purchase a higher price and more profitable DVD set from them. I of course refused their offer.
Old 08-12-05, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Yeah, Target would NEVER notice a nationwide pattern of 90% underpricing if thousands of people just bought only one or two each!! Damn spoilers!
Of course Target headquarters will get a report from their MIS department showing thousands of separate sales of 1 to 5 boxed sets priced at $5.99, maybe the next day. That type of behavior might trigger some computer alerts that someone will look at at some point. But, a customer who buys 5 dvd sets, and some underwear, m&ms, tampons, and a spatula won't set off alarms in the local stores. But some guy who puts dozens of boxed sets in his cart and nothing else, with a $h1t eating grin on his face, will have security looking at him before it even gets to the checkout. Then when he pulls out his paypal credit card and he buys 50 boxed sets for only $300.00, well that will alert the store manager and the security Barney Fife wannabe, who will move to shut this deal and fast. That's their job... Point is to stay below the radar, and it will take longer for the stores to notice.
Old 08-12-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

picked up MASH Season 8 and Batman TAS 3 this morning at Target. Deal still going...
Old 08-12-05, 11:32 PM

exactly right, stay below radar........when i go, i go to the toy section, check out the action figs, do any othr shopping first, then head over there, if anything, go right to the register.....that way if they are watching, they will less time to intercept me and stop my deal grab. I benn pretty good withthe cashiers so far, always pick the one that looks most likely to just scan and bag, usually someone that looks that "they look bored to be there"......and be extra pleasant with a how are you doing today? and be sincere, it gets there attention on you, not your purchase.....
Old 08-12-05, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by two4one
Point is to stay below the radar, and it will take longer for the stores to notice.
Thanks for explaining that to me, I would never have known otherwise. I'm sure it's exactly what RonMexico meant, there weren't any violins playing and no one offered him cheese.
Old 08-12-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks megashopper for the info. I went there earlier & picked up a copy of Laguna Beach S1, Newlyweds S2 & S3, Charmed S1(finally found one) & Pride & Prejudice for my collection. I also picked up one copy each of LHOTP S1,2,4,6 & 8 - for a friend/gift. Didn't see any FF, Remington Steele, or any of the others I wanted.

I did see(& left) a copy of Batman V3, Looney Tunes v1 & v2(didn't check $) and a Miami Vice S1. I was going to get the Miami Vice, but couldn't get it to scan at the scanners - scanner would read the BC, but wouldn't show ANY info for it. Figured that might cause a problem @ the register, so I left it.
Old 08-12-05, 11:39 PM

Yeah, well you might not need splaining, but if you read some of the posts from here and some of the other deal sites, some folk did and do as they described their baskets full of loot, and they couldn't understand why they were being folowed.

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Thanks for explaining that to me, I would never have known otherwise. I'm sure it's exactly what RonMexico meant, there weren't any violins playing and no one offered him cheese.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.