Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Ridiculously Cheap DVD sets @ Target YMMV

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to Bailey's Crossroads Target in VA tonight...all out of OC, SatC, and Friends. Must've gotten 'em good there, too. Oh, well. Thanks for the info, OP.
Old 08-10-05, 08:38 PM

Went back to the Joliet, IL store on a hunch that some of these $5.99 box sets were not corrected and scored a few more...

Picked up:
Spongebob Sq Pants Season 1 & 2
Dawson Creek Season 5
Joan of Arcadia Season 1
Fantastic Four The Complete 1994-1995 Animated Television Series (2)
Johnny Carson: The Ultimate Collection Volume 1-3
Miami Vice Season 1 (2)
Magnum PI Season 2
Newsradio Season 1-2

A great day for me and a big THANKS to the OP on this fantastic deal.
Old 08-10-05, 08:43 PM

well i got to my local target at about 6pm and was able to get two copies of looney toons s2 and three copies of johnny carson v1-3 all of which i've already sold to a brother and sister, i did go back for sponge bob s1&2 which still rang up 5.99 but they refused to sell them to me so i raised a tiff and ask for corporates #, should i even waste my time calling?
Old 08-10-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok I may run up to the Tulsa store on 21st S bright and early to see if it is a restock. Has avnyone tried this location? The other two were a bust for me.
Old 08-10-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
I wen't to Viera FL but no luck, they must have fixed it late because they were out of ALOT! I was thrilled when I got there to see the shelves mostly empty but alas they fixed it before I could take advantage.

Shadow
I checked there tonight also (around 8:30) and none of the sets I found were down . Jaws was empty .

We decided to pass by the Merritt Island Target (my wife had been to from my earlier post) , where my wife was told they yanked everything .

We checked everything , including Band of Brothers and nutting was going on .
We back and rechecked for the last load and Jaws was empty but we saw on Newlyweds Season 2+3 so we took it . On the way to the scanner , there was a rack with 3 Jaws movies in it . I grabbed 1 and took it along .

Jaws scanned 5.99 and the Newlyweds S2+3 was 5.99 WOOHOO .

I went by and picked up a 2nd copy of Jaws for a family member and did some other shopping , checked out and split .

Thank OP !

Didnt make out great but something is better than nothing . Oh , and the Target woman was wrong that my wife spoke with ...... they missed 2 of them when they store-roomed the rest .
Old 08-10-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After no dice at the La Verne and Rowland Hgts., CA, stores, I managed to score Batman: The Animated Adv. Season 3 for $5.99 at the Chino Hills location. I scanned what little else they had left on their shelves (not much), and everything else came up full price, including Poppins and Jaws.

Picked up three sets and told random passerby about the set I left behind. The first guy looked at me like I was asking him for spare change, but the second snatched it up.

Was worried about whether I'd even make it past the checkout or not, so I went staright for the girl that had the "In Training" badge on her shirt. She didn't bat an eye.

I didn't make it TOO well, but another BIG thank you to the OP.

Last edited by TimeandTide; 08-10-05 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 09:07 PM

So I took a tour of New Jersey Targets today:

Ocean (Asbury Park): Several copies of Pocahantas, Mary Poppins, and Jaws left

Edison: Got the last Angel Season 5 (there were no other Buffys or Angels left); also picked up The Pretender Season 1, and Moonlighting Seasons 1-2 (Plenty left of the last two)

Bridgewater: Thought I had struck out, but got the last The L-Word Season 1; also picked up Newsradio Seasons 1-2 and an extra copy of Jaws (several left of these two as well)

Really wanted Band of Brothers for a friend, but struck out at all 7 Targets I checked
Old 08-10-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is what I was able to buy in the East Bay (S.F. Bay Area):

San Leandro - None
Union City - found Band of Brothers, Batman Vol. 3 and Fantastic 4
Fremont - Murder She Wrote, Hogan's Heroes
Richmond - None
Pinole - None
Walnut Creek - None
Pittsburg - Sex and the City (Seasons 1-5), The O.C., Laguna Beach, Spongebob Squarepants Vol. 1 and Vol. 2

It helps to be in outside sales since I can visit multiple stores in any given day. Also of note was that the Fremont store had Johnny Carson, Newsradio, MASH (Season 1 & 8) scanning at $5.99, but when I went to checkout, they rang up at regular price. The Pittsburg store also had Friends (Seasons 1-8), Gilmore Girls (1-3) and others as of yesterday (Tuesday), but when I went back today, it was wiped out. Great find OP!
Old 08-10-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Emma311
There aren't any Targets close to me, but maybe if my sister thinks there is something in it for her (like Buffy) she'd check for me. Has anyone checked any of the following MD Targets?

Middle River Target
1330 Martin Blvd , Middle River, MD 21220

White Marsh Target
5230 Campbell Blvd , Baltimore, MD 21236

Towson Target
1238 Putty Hill Ave , Towson, MD 21286

BTW-I've enjoyed reading all of the security guard stories.
Already checked the Putty Hill location with no luck. Haven't tried the other two.
Old 08-10-05, 09:39 PM

Tonight at Target of Hadley, MA I was able to get quite a few DVD sets for 5.99. None of the major ones, but I was able to get a lot of classics. For anyone in the area, the key is to find a cashier who doesn't have a clue about what the dvds should cost lol.

Here is a list of the DVD's I got ( all for trade):
The Ultimate Collection: Johnny Carson
Magnum P.I. (season 2)
Hogan's Heros (season 1)
M*A*S*H (season 1)
M*A*S*H (season 8)
Macgyver (season 1)
Macgyver (season 2)
Old 08-10-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Just in case anyone in south Louisiana is watching this thread,i have come up empty like a mofo in Metairie, Houma and Lafayette.

Out of curiosity,has anyone tried Las Vegas:S1 to see if it scans $5.99?I noticed that was sold out at the store i checked tonight and that is one i would love to get.
Old 08-10-05, 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=Phenomena]Tonight at Target of Hadley, MA I was able to get quite a few DVD sets for 5.99. None of the major ones, but I was able to get a lot of classics. For anyone in the area, the key is to find a cashier who doesn't have a clue about what the dvds should cost lol.

Actually what I find works better is that when you are getting your items scanned...make small chit-chat with the cashier...ask how she/hes doing, make comments on the weather, etc etc....this way their eyes are on you and not the register. Worked twice for me...
Old 08-10-05, 10:21 PM
Banned

Take trades to the Exchange Forum
Old 08-10-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 956 Likes on 663 Posts
I was able to get 3rd rock from the Jax southside tonight so there may still be a few left, everything else was corrected. I think the smaller lesser known ones as well as the single titles are more likely to still be 5.99

Just to update the FL stores as of Wed night correct me if I am wrong:

Tallahassee - both stores 5.99
Jax - Orange park 5.99 (aware of deal)
NAS zippo
South side 5.99 only thing left is one copy of 3rd Rock and Pocahontas maybe Marry poppins and Jaws
New one by the new mall - nadda
Orlando - Colonial 5.99
Some of the others were 5.99
Lakeland - North 5.99
South - zippo
Ft. Lauderdale - zippo
Miami - Two stores 5.99
Viera - nadda
Melborne - nadda
Merritt Island - nadda
Tampa - 2 stores goose egg
Old 08-10-05, 10:34 PM

Anybody ask for the Corporate Discount ?

Also any luck in Schaumburg, IL area?
Old 08-10-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first time in months that I don't check the Bargains section and this happens. Oh well, if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all. I'm going to check out my local Target store but I'm definately not holding my breath - Congrats to all that got in on the deal though. I've posted requests in the exchange thread so if anyone is feeling generous you know where to go.
Old 08-10-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Christi P
Has anyone tried the Target in Pasadena Texas (on the Beltway & Fairmont Pkwy) today? I am looking for the Looney Tunes sets and the L Word.

I live in the Clear Lake/Webster area. I checked the Baybrook Mall Target the first day the deal was reported and there was no sale there. Are there any other Targets in the area I should try, or is the deal pretty much over?
The Fairmont Target had copies of everything, but they scanned for regular price. I filled shopping cart with every set mentioned here for nothing. Funny thing is I got the attention of store security. Don't know what they thought I was going to do with a shopping cart full of DVDs. Not like I was going to get away on foot.
Old 08-10-05, 10:47 PM
Cool New Member

MIchigan?

Anyone in Michigan have any luck on this deal?
Old 08-10-05, 11:14 PM
Banned

All the box sets were full price at my Target. Anyone have any idea on the rhyme or reason behind these partial price errors?
Old 08-10-05, 11:19 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Greater Cincinnati:

Ridge Avenue... NO
Beechmont Avenue ...NO
Milford...NO
Erlanger (N Kentucky)...NO

I hope I saved some people some gas money!
Old 08-10-05, 11:28 PM

Does anyone know of any Georgia Targets north of Atlanta still have this sale going???

I went 0/4 (Gainesville, Cumming, Buford, Lawrenceville/law-sw rd)
Old 08-10-05, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by tanman
Just to update the FL stores as of Wed night correct me if I am wrong:

Tallahassee - both stores 5.99
The deal is active at the North side Target on Thomasville Road but not at the one on Apalachee Parkway.
Old 08-11-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This was an amazing thread to read. Usually I check DVD Talk for a few minutes each day, but I was too busy with work to check these last several days, and by the time I looked the Target sale is as good as over.

Apparently the fact many people are still finding Jaws 30th, Mary Poppins and Pocahontas for $5.99 seems to indicate those sale prices were intentional and not mistakes. That's after I just paid about $15 for Jaws a couple months ago and the 2 Disneys when they came out a bit earlier. I thought I did well when I got the Looney Tunes sets for about $30 each when they came out, but now I feel like a fool seeing so many score them for $5.99! I have never scored a single DVD on any big price mistakes like this. Huge sales (whether intentional or not) like this happen so often on DVDs that I've already purchased that it becomes harder and harder to convince myself to buy anything over $10.

With the Simpsons Season 6 coming out next week, even if someone sells it for $29.99 or less at B&M, do I dare buy it figuring a few months later somebody will be practically giving it away like Target and Eckerds did with other DVDs? The answer: if I buy it next week, it will probably be $10-$20 by Christmas. If I don't, then it will probably stay over $30 for the next year. Decisions... decisions.

What amazes me the most is that so many others knew to hold off buying Jaws, Mary Poppins, Pocahontas, Looney Tunes, and Friends until there was an incredible deal like this. Well, congratulations to those who got in on this. So much in life seems to be luck and timing.

Last edited by Manzana; 08-11-05 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-11-05, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by duganrm
There are actually a few forums that are having almost the same discussion as here. The unfortunate thing is that I can't find anyone in the San Diego area that had any success.
I've searching for news of anyone having success in San Diego, and I haven't see it yet. Nearest San Diego store I've seen is Mission Viejo.

Oh, well. Glad everyone is getting in on the deal!
Old 08-11-05, 12:41 AM

I held off buying these simply because I don't have the money to go through them at 30-50 each. But for 5.99, I'll try almost anything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.