Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Ridiculously Cheap DVD sets @ Target YMMV

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdude
ok now i'm really sick. That's the closest Target to where i live (Madisonville), and i've been unable to make it up there because my Mom has been very sick and needs me here. Just thinking that i might have been able to score a few of these makes it soooo much worse. Life goes on, though!

sorry, I'd put my mom way over dvds any day....she's worth a lot more.
Old 08-16-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was out of town for 2 weeks and just saw the thread yesterday. Went to a couple of Targets in the Chicago area, but no luck. Everything was normal priced. Sounds like a lot of people got in on the deal though.
Old 08-16-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, what a deal. I missed out on it, and I've been waiting on Band of Brothers forever. Too bad this didn't happen during the school year when I live 2-3 minutes away from a Target, but I would've had to drive for almost 2 hours to get to the nearest Target right now. Congrats to those that got in on the deal, and if anybody wants to help me out with Band of Brothers feel free to PM me
Old 08-16-05, 06:45 PM

Folks, I went back to Target (Victor NY) and TODAY they had tags saying $5.99 on the last 3 years of Friends. One year was out so I got the other 2 (after a 3 minute "discussion"....).

It was along the bottom row of the Friends sets - off to the left were a few other kiddie DVD's also on sale for $5.99 (I think they actually are $5.99). The tags were printed on one long strip that identified these 6 or so dvd's, with a price tag every 8 inches or whatever. The guy pulled the strip out and ripped off the right half (where the Friends prices were) and slipped it back into the plastic cover thingee after the mgr said to give me one each for $5.99. I had been shut out of this deal, but now I feel like I made the team!!!
Old 08-16-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by geoffy22
sorry, I'd put my mom way over dvds any day....she's worth a lot more.
Precisely, which is why i won't leave her side for any deal
Old 08-16-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Jaws 30th now has a $5.99 tag in Fayetteville, N.C. Nothin' else for cheap though.
Old 08-16-05, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Willh51
Jaws 30th now has a $5.99 tag in Fayetteville, N.C. Nothin' else for cheap though.
I was in there today and got Looney Toons Vol 1 & 2 for $5.99 because of wrong price tags. They pulled the tags so that killed it. I did get a Jaws the other day.....
Old 08-16-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I keep reading this thread mainly for laughs. I never bothered to check my Target because I was several days late to the party, and where I live there are so many people there's no chance anything would be left.

What amazes me is I keep reading recent stories (yesterday and today) about people still finding $5.99 tags on the shelf. How does this happen? Weren't there loads of stories last week about teams of red-shirt employees scanning the DVD sections to rid the store of every possible sign of a $5.99 DVD?

Is it one of those situations where one employee pulls all the tags, and then the next day another employee puts the tags back out, then they pull them again, and the situation repeats because "the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing"? If so, judging by the way the managers seem to get so upset when they have to give someone a $5.99 deal, you'd think there would've been a whole lot of Target employees fired recently.

Reading this whole thread made it seem like Target was playing a hide and go seek game... almost like hiding an easter egg in certain stores. They might as well make it an official daily promotion. I can see the ad now: "Come to Target and see if you can find today's $5.99 box set DVD hidden somewhere in the store. If you find it, you must then make it through our obstacle course, reach the register, successfully ring the item up, and make it out the door without being tackled by our undercover security who lurk around every corner." (Just joking of course)
Old 08-17-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
I keep reading this thread mainly for laughs. I never bothered to check my Target because I was several days late to the party, and where I live there are so many people there's no chance anything would be left.
Laughs? you sure? or you are drooling in ENVY and push down towards the despare of FRUSTRATION because you are LATE.

What amazes me is I keep reading recent stories (yesterday and today) about people still finding $5.99 tags on the shelf. How does this happen? Weren't there loads of stories last week about teams of red-shirt employees scanning the DVD sections to rid the store of every possible sign of a $5.99 DVD?

Is it one of those situations where one employee pulls all the tags, and then the next day another employee puts the tags back out, then they pull them again, and the situation repeats because "the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing"? If so, judging by the way the managers seem to get so upset when they have to give someone a $5.99 deal, you'd think there would've been a whole lot of Target employees fired recently.
Its not amazement, its that inner anger in you! No need to emphasize further Target Employees, the bottomline you are late!

Reading this whole thread made it seem like Target was playing a hide and go seek game... almost like hiding an easter egg in certain stores. They might as well make it an official daily promotion. I can see the ad now: "Come to Target and see if you can find today's $5.99 box set DVD hidden somewhere in the store. If you find it, you must then make it through our obstacle course, reach the register, successfully ring the item up, and make it out the door without being tackled by our undercover security who lurk around every corner." (Just joking of course)
Its not Target who play Hide and Seek, its the consumers here who may? or may not be? telling the Truths about information where they got their aquisition. Mainly, to discourage others not to be that extra resourceful or be scared on their nearby Target Stores

So Stop Whining, Don't make use of TARGET as your escapegoat to your late action..

Last edited by xage; 08-17-05 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by jpdude
ok now i'm really sick. That's the closest Target to where i live (Madisonville), and i've been unable to make it up there because my Mom has been very sick and needs me here. Just thinking that i might have been able to score a few of these makes it soooo much worse. Life goes on, though!

The subject is TARGET not your sickness??

Life for you is that you were not able to get the deal? why bother sharing what happen to you? you are sick why take time posting/typing your sentiments and sickness.. Admit it? the bottomline ->"That you did not get the deal"

Last edited by xage; 08-17-05 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 02:54 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Went to the Albany, OR store and everything I was looking for had the correct price tag and scanned at the correct price
Old 08-17-05, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by RonMexico
The deal was probably killed by the usual: people grabbing up 20 copies just so they can sell them on Ebay.

A guy like me who absolutely wants ONE or two boxsets get screwed in the end.
Blame your late actions not the rest. They saw a window of opportunity, they grab it and they succeed.

Well, atleast you are honest on what you feel. Nevertheless, dont blame those who were ahead of you, they are destined to get those, as for you its not
Old 08-17-05, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by xage
Its not Target who play Hide and Seek, its the consumers here who may? or may not be? telling the Truths about information where they got their aquisition. Mainly, to discourage others not to be that extra resourceful or be scared on their nearby Target Stores

So Stop Whining, Don't make use of TARGET as your escapegoat to your late action..
This guy is awesome.
Old 08-17-05, 03:28 AM

Blame your late actions not the rest. They saw a window of opportunity, they grab it and they succeed.

Well, atleast you are honest on what you feel. Nevertheless, dont blame those who were ahead of you, they are destined to get those, as for you its not
Xage, I think you and Tucker Carlson were made for each other......checked another Target and got 1 copy of Jaws and Pocahontas. Good luck to others.
Old 08-17-05, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL!! This guy is owning dvdtalkers left and right. This guy rules!!!!!11111

Not! Keyboard warrior to the max!
Old 08-17-05, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I wonder how much money Target really lost in the log run on this. I bet the majority of the people that went in there looking for this came out empty handed in dvd's but bought other stuff while they were there. Some people may have went in there for the first time ever and may now become regular customers. It's an expensive "promotion" but it may have some positive benefits for them. Afterall they consistantly give out $20 gift cards for bringing in prescription there.
Old 08-17-05, 10:07 AM

ATL update: I hit the Medlock/Pleasant Hill store last night, and there were 5.99 tags all over the place, but everything scanned at full price. I picked up a copy of NewsRadio, and confirmed with an electronics employee that I could get it for 5.99. I knew I'd have to get some kind of authorization like this to get the deal. Then, I went and grabbed Moonlighting, BTAS3, and a Fantastic Four and a Looney Tunes for friends, and skedaddled. The guys noticed me heading toward checkout with more than one DVD, and asked to see what I had. They had me point out the other 5.99 titles I'd picked up, and seemed as if they were about to start fixing the tags right away.

Once I got to the checkout, I had to get yet another comfirmation by phone, which was understandable. She said they can do changes on
Old 08-17-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wasn't even trying to complain when Xage said that I was. Maybe he is another incarnation of other people who like to tell me to stop complaining, but it's funny that this time I seriously was not trying to, so I guess I complain even when I don't complain so I might as well always complain? Sure, I missed this sale but even if it had been on there was nothing I really wanted (a bunch of box sets for TV series I had never seen). Maybe I would've gotten some (like Hogan's Heroes) but I'm not an eBay profiteer, so I would've left most of it. Band of Brothers? Never heard of it. I've only watched 4 TV series made after 1990: The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Friends, and X-Files. The only titles I was bummed about were the Disneys, Jaws, and the 2 Looney Tunes sets which I had bought previously. The point of my post was I was trying to be funny by saying how this sounds like a game and to ask why these tags keep showing up.

Just read El Gray's latest post and see how he found more $5.99 tags all over the place. When we know the great lengths Target employees were going to last week to rid all the stores of these $5.99 DVDs and tags, how in the world do the tags show up again a little while later? It does feel like they are running some sort of a stealth promotion trying to get people into the store by hiding some $5.99 DVD deals hoping people will come in just to search for them (hopefully not find them) and buy something else, but they still hide enough tags that people hear stories and think there is a chance. Instead of a "loss leader" item, it's the "you might find another misprice" item.

Now if these $5.99 tags would stop showing up then I might not be suspicious they're doing this on purpose because surely all the stores and managers have to know by now so when new $5.99 tags show up can it really be by accident? I don't suppose anyone can explain why this happens?

Just my opinions.
Old 08-17-05, 10:29 AM

Hilarious~~that about sums up this "deal"
Old 08-17-05, 10:48 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Band of Brothers? Never heard of it.
I'm really surprised you've never heard of it. It's a 10 hour mini-series about Easy Company from the 101st Airborne in WWII. Arguably the best WWII movie/series ever. It was produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg and originally shown on HBO. At Amazon it has an average rating of 5 stars out of 5 from 797 reviews. If you're a Costco member it will only be about $45 with an in-store coupon next week. Easily worth every penny of that.
Old 08-17-05, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I know there may still be some incorrect tags on the shelf in some places, but has anyone actually seen or heard of any titles still scanning at $5.99 since this Monday (8/15) or did they finally get it corrected?
Old 08-17-05, 01:07 PM
CTH

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried to return any of these sets to Target without their receipt to see if they get full price back as opposed to $5.99?
Old 08-17-05, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
If you're a Costco member it will only be about $45 with an in-store coupon next week.
Thanks for the info Jim!
Old 08-17-05, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CTH
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried to return any of these sets to Target without their receipt to see if they get full price back as opposed to $5.99?
trash
Old 08-17-05, 01:39 PM

unreal that this 8/17 is still going on in some aspect... im so annoyed i never got in on this...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.