DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Buy.com Secret Movie Sale is back (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/432094-buy-com-secret-movie-sale-back.html)

heffalump 07-27-05 03:03 PM

Buy.com 150 DVD's under $10 Secret Movie Sale

Over 150 DVD's under $10. Also, there's a reusable 10% Coupon good 'till 7/31 and a buy 3 get 1 free DVD rebate. --> Link

it's not very well kept secret since it's been posted on FW.

toejamsk 07-27-05 04:01 PM

just wondering...how are buy.com's rebates?...pretty safe to say u'll get ur rebate money back?

heffalump 07-27-05 04:05 PM

dunno. the rebate goes to Niagara Falls. the buy 3 get 1 rebate is good until 8/04/05.
Here's the PDF --> Rebate

lwhy? 07-27-05 04:43 PM

It's too bad they charge tax now or I would be buying some stuff from them. They had get $5 off books when you spend $25 on books, but tax is nearly 10% in Tennessee and you don't really save any money.

heffalump 07-27-05 04:57 PM

Gee, i've ordered three times from buydotcom this month w/o paying tax on each order. Maybe it depends on the state you're in?

guessed 07-27-05 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
It's too bad they charge tax now or I would be buying some stuff from them. They had get $5 off books when you spend $25 on books, but tax is nearly 10% in Tennessee and you don't really save any money.

Yeah, we live in 1 of the 4 states in which they charge tax. A lot of online retailers fulfill orders from TN, so we get the shaft a lot. Oh well.

There is a "$5 off $35 in Entertainment" coupon (can not be combined with the 10% off coupon, the links are adjacent on the buy.com site), which would seem to be potentially better than the 10% coupon (on orders between $35 and $50) but it adjusts the price of one dvd down by $5, and there is speculation on FW that this could affect one's rebate amount.

lwhy? 07-27-05 05:18 PM

It seems to me that they have just recently started charging sales tax, because I bought some dvds early this year and they didn't charge me sales tax. I was about to buy some books the other day when they charged me tax.

Originally Posted by guessed
Yeah, we live in 1 of the 4 states in which they charge tax. A lot of online retailers fulfill orders from TN, so we get the shaft a lot. Oh well.

There is a "$5 off $35 in Entertainment" coupon (can not be combined with the 10% off coupon, the links are adjacent on the buy.com site), which would seem to be potentially better than the 10% coupon (on orders between $35 and $50) but it adjusts the price of one dvd down by $5, and there is speculation on FW that this could affect one's rebate amount.

guessed 07-27-05 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
It seems to me that they have just recently started charging sales tax, because I bought some dvds early this year and they didn't charge me sales tax. I was about to buy some books the other day when they charged me tax.

You are correct. They charged sales tax in TN when they started up, but (I assume) switched to a different distribution center for a while. I guess they switched back.

dvdirv 07-27-05 11:30 PM

For awhile, Buy.com charged tax in Indiana since they had an "entity" here in the state. For now they no longer charge sales tax. (Must have moved.)

But what really ticked me off is that they included the shipping charge in the tax charges which I thought was illegal.

Jah-Wren Ryel 07-28-05 12:07 AM

Nah. its not illegal to over-charge for tax, as long as they give the entire over-charge to the state.

guessed 07-28-05 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by dvdirv
But what really ticked me off is that they included the shipping charge in the tax charges which I thought was illegal.

I have noticed a lot of sites (Wal-Mart, EBGames, Buy.com) doing that.

darkhawk 07-28-05 08:04 AM

Only about 2 I would take. It looks like The Three Amigos has new cover art and could it be in a keepcase?

Half-Joey 07-28-05 09:29 AM

what is the 10% off coupon code?

Geofferson 07-28-05 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Half-Joey
what is the 10% off coupon code?

http://enews.Buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/eA0CISjq0A0Bn2B0Gv

Half-Joey 07-28-05 10:34 AM

thanks

Bobbin 07-28-05 02:58 PM

Conversely, does anyone have the 5 off 35 code?

guessed 07-28-05 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbin
Conversely, does anyone have the 5 off 35 code?

This should work:
http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp...54&dcaid=17654

It isn't the link in the email I received, but rather the page to which it links. I don't know if the above link is unique (I am doubting it), but I believe the one from my email is unique for tracking purposes (my 10% link is not the same as Geofferson's). No I'm not paranoid, who told you that I was?

As has been mentioned, there is speculation that the $5 coupon may take $5 off the lowest priced item, which could, theoretically, lead them to give $5 less of a rebate. So, use at your own risk.

Artman 08-01-05 06:55 PM

:down:

Glory DVD is not the SE as shown. Plus my other remaining disc cases had broken hubs (which I realize may not be entirely their fault but it's still points off.) I will never order DVD's from Buy.com again.

mr899 08-01-05 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
:down:

Glory DVD is not the SE as shown. Plus my other remaining disc cases had broken hubs (which I realize may not be entirely their fault but it's still points off.) I will never order DVD's from Buy.com again.

I love it. There is a problem with order. Rather than giving them a chance to correct it, you publish it on internet and say ou will never do business with them again.

I am a believer that all vendors make mistakes, it's how they react when you ask them to fix it that matters.

I have ordered from Buy.Com a lot and have always been happy. They ship extra fast.

Artman 08-01-05 10:10 PM

Shipping was the only good thing I'll grant you that.

I said I will not buy DVD's from them again, I have and will continue to use them for other products. My post was not just to complain but also serves as a warning to others regarding the Glory SE. I would ask them to replace, but it appears they don't even carry it. I guess they just like to use the picture...

edit: I have since sent a request for them to replace the current art, hopefully they will.

uhftv 08-10-05 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by heffalump
Over 150 DVD's under $10. Also, there's a reusable 10% Coupon good 'till 7/31 and a buy 3 get 1 free DVD rebate. --> Link

it's not very well kept secret since it's been posted on FW.

With the 10% deal you get a good price for Million Dollar Baby 3 disc set, Alexander director's cut and Ep. III pre-order. Link expires 8/15 so I'm still looking for any more good deals till then before I place the order.