DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Movie Gallery - Buy 2, Get 2 Free is Still On - YMMV? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/431926-movie-gallery-buy-2-get-2-free-still-ymmv.html)

wildman1037 07-26-05 02:06 PM

Movie Gallery - Buy 2, Get 2 Free is Still On - YMMV?

I had thought this sale had been over for a couple of weeks now. I decided to pop in and see what movies had been pulled for sale. Even though there was no sign on the outside of the store, the Buy 2, Get 2 signs were all throughout the store.

I picked up The Machinist, The Jacket, Boogeyman, and Seed of Chucky: UR all for $31.XX.

Brent L 07-26-05 05:43 PM

Thanks a lot OP!

I just went to one and bought the following for the same price:

-Coach Carter
-Hitch
-The Machinist
-National Treasure

I was very pissed off though. I have loved going to Movie Gallery for quite a while now because of their used DVDs. They have always been in pretty much like new condition, with all inserts...and best of all, with the original cases/slipcovers. However, at the one I went to today, I noticed that some of the DVDs were in those very crappy cases with the blue strip down the side, those security cases. Three of the ones I wanted were in that type of case, so I asked if they would let me switch cases. They did it for me this time, but they said that they would not in the future, because they are going to start using that crappy type of case for ALL of their used DVDs from here on out. This just really pisses me off, it's the same reason I almost never buy any used DVDs from Hollywood Video or Blockbuster.

I guess I'm going to have to start buying lots of empty cases at a really good price if I want to continue buying from MG. :(

cupon 07-26-05 07:04 PM

I just called my local MG and they're having the B2G2 free sale going on too. They said it'll last for about two more weeks.

Jah-Wren Ryel 07-26-05 08:27 PM

I actually dreamed about the MG sale last night. I think I must developed a natural affinity for dvd deals. I should start dowsing for dvds or something.

> it's the same reason I almost never buy any used DVDs from Hollywood Video or Blockbuster.

Hollywood Video is now shipping all of their stock in lockable amaray cases that are almost indistinguishable from regular amaray-brand cases. So, any recent PVD additions should be in the nice new cases. Add in the visa coupon from their website for B1G1 per visit, making the most expensive PVD at HV only $7.50 with plenty much less than that and they are almost as good as the best MG used to be. (That per visit thing sucks, but you may be able to convince the clerk to let you use a couple at a time, I've have not been turned down yet).

Brent L 07-26-05 09:12 PM

Where is a B1G1 coupon on their website?

thechozenone 07-26-05 10:22 PM

The current sale runs from July 22 - August 7th. And there have been a lot of dvd's that have gone down in price, particularly drops to 7.99 and 5.99

As for the instance with the store using the blue locks with the rental boxes, that is a store specific, however like Hollywood video we will be switching over to the normal armary cases soon that require just a small clip in the side (if you have a dvd at home with a small square indention on the side- i think some Fox DVDs use these as well as other studios, Fat Albert I know has it - this is the style of case you'll see popping up in the next year. They are a normal dvd case like a new dvd comes in, but can be locked).

As always the Buy 2, Get 2 applies to all preplayed items with the exception of Adult items (if you have those:) )

daddydaryl 07-26-05 10:30 PM

B1G1 Coupon

cupon 07-27-05 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by daddydaryl

Anyone know if Visa Debit/Check cards are eligible?

Jah-Wren Ryel 07-27-05 01:15 AM

Their computer system does not enforce the visa requirement, so unless you get a clerk with an attitude problem, any visa card ought to work.

kingtopher 07-27-05 07:50 AM

So does anyone know what's been pulled recently at Movie Gallery? Has Million Dollar Baby made it yet, or no?

Byron_T 07-27-05 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Hollywood Video is now shipping all of their stock in lockable amaray cases that are almost indistinguishable from regular amaray-brand cases. So, any recent PVD additions should be in the nice new cases. Add in the visa coupon from their website for B1G1 per visit, making the most expensive PVD at HV only $7.50 with plenty much less than that and they are almost as good as the best MG used to be. (That per visit thing sucks, but you may be able to convince the clerk to let you use a couple at a time, I've have not been turned down yet).

Movie Gallery has started getting these lockable amaray cases also.

wildman1037 07-27-05 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
So does anyone know what's been pulled recently at Movie Gallery? Has Million Dollar Baby made it yet, or no?

Didn't see Million Dollar Baby

Did See
The Machinist
Seed of Chucky
Boogeyman
The Jacket
Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Dangerous
Hitch
Coach Carter
Be Cool
The Pacifier (I think I saw this)
7 Seconds
Diary of a Mad Black Woman
Cursed UR
Beyond the Sea
The Snow Walker
The Aviator
Are We There Yet?

MrE 07-27-05 10:14 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Wildman.

With the price drops, I picked up for $16 + tax:
Elf
Stage Beauty
Manchurian Candidate
Saw

xfilekr 07-28-05 12:43 AM

Almost everything recent was still 14.99 at the store I visited. They did have some old 7.99 titles and even a few direct to video looking movies for 5.99 to 3.99. Wish they would go back to the mostly 9.99 price.

pcdoctor 07-28-05 04:28 AM

Ditto xfilekr. I wish they would go back to the $9.99 prices for the B2G2 also.

Ispep Aloc 07-28-05 02:26 PM

Went last night, picked up Htich, Coach Carter, In Good Company, and Be Cool. Was hoping to get Pacifier, but couldn't find it. Looked on the shelf and they were all rented out. All of my were $14.99. At 7.50 each, I won't complain, but $5 each would be nicer :)

guessed 07-28-05 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ispep Aloc
Went last night, picked up Htich, Coach Carter, In Good Company, and Be Cool. Was hoping to get Pacifier, but couldn't find it. Looked on the shelf and they were all rented out. All of my were $14.99. At 7.50 each, I won't complain, but $5 each would be nicer :)

I just watched In Good Company last night (rental). It was decent. I enjoyed Hitch in the theater. Be Cool just did not work for me, although The Rock was awesome, and it was kind of cool to see Andre 3000 in it. I had no interest in seeing Coach Carter when it was in the theaters (I don't think they advertised it very well), but I am mildly interested based on the DVD trailers that I've seen. Hope you enjoy them.

Damed 07-29-05 07:21 AM

Thanks to the OP!

MY MG actually still had the signs up in the window. Picked up:

Hellraiser: Deader
Dracula III: Legacy
Cursed: Unrated
The Pacifier

Will be going back (when the funds are there, currently still recovering from the DDD sale) to get:

Be Cool
Million Dollar Baby (Aug 1st)
Hide & Seek
Seed of Chucky (Unrated)

catsmeow 08-01-05 12:22 PM

Today is the last pull day. Has anyone seen what new titles were pulled?

MrE 08-01-05 02:49 PM

Still filling in my back list. Picked up:

Manchurian Candidate (2005)
Harold & Kumar (UR)
Without a Paddle
Monster Man

deleted scene 08-01-05 08:23 PM

The only title I noticed new today was Hide and Seek. My store had a sign saying Million Dollar Baby won't be available until Monday, August 8. Oh well... next sale, I guess....

JohnDoeUSA 08-01-05 10:18 PM

I went by one during my work and the manager pulled the last Troy with a $9.99 price. I ask if I could come back during the week and decide on the other 3 titles. He said sure. MG manager seem to be way customer friendly. One time a female manager gave me a free Signs T shirt just because I went in there a lot. Kudos to MG and their customer friendly training! I wish my hometown had a MG!

Anybody know anymore $9.99 titles? Many thanks in advance!

kingtopher 08-03-05 07:01 PM

Went and checked today and no Million Dollar Baby at my MG either. The only other flick I really wanted was the Aviator, so I'm passing on this one. Hopefully both of those will still be in stock as previewed DVDs during the next sale. If not, the Aviator's price is dropping soon, so I'll just grab it that way and wait for a Million Dollar Baby pricedrop as well.

wildman1037 08-04-05 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
Went and checked today and no Million Dollar Baby at my MG either. The only other flick I really wanted was the Aviator, so I'm passing on this one. Hopefully both of those will still be in stock as previewed DVDs during the next sale. If not, the Aviator's price is dropping soon, so I'll just grab it that way and wait for a Million Dollar Baby pricedrop as well.

Ditto here on Million Dollar Baby. Went to MG 2 days ago...what a terrible last-pull day! I don't think I saw anything new. I got 4 of the $3.99 cheapies for $8.46. They looked somwhat interesting, and for $2.12 per DVD, you can't go wrong! :)

JohnDoeUSA 08-04-05 07:41 PM

Pick up 4 movies today! Friday Night Lights, Passion of the Christ, I Robot, and Troy for $21.56! Not too bad and there is a lifetime warranty for all disc. No more CH for me!