DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   California Ralphs Supermarkets B1G1F MGM bargain titles (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/431104-california-ralphs-supermarkets-b1g1f-mgm-bargain-titles.html)

CaseyB 07-19-05 04:52 PM

California Ralphs Supermarkets B1G1F MGM bargain titles

July 20-26 Ralphs will be having a sale on the MGM bargain titles that are $9.99. Buy 1 get 1 free. Pictured in the ad are West Side Story, Sleepover and The Princess Bride. I know our local store has some titles I'd like to pick up (Rain Man, Fargo, etc.) so I'll drop by tomorrow. :) Let us know if you find anything good.

SPiRAL 07-19-05 06:58 PM

Thanks Casey, it's about time we get in on a supermarket deal, even though it's kinda crappy, it's nice to be included. :)

SlingshotBandit 07-20-05 12:29 AM

I feel ya, spiral.

It's nice to know that a familiar grocery store (as opposed to the ones that are usually midwestern with all those fantastic deals) has a deal us Californians can take advantage of.

CaseyB 07-20-05 10:10 AM

Kroger stores had this deal a few months ago and they own Ralphs & Food 4 Less. About a month ago they sent out $10 off $50 or more coupons...so they could be used to make the deal a little better...the coupon expires on July 23rd.

runner001 07-20-05 09:26 PM

lucky for me i'm visiting family in california (originally from NY) so i went ahead and checked this out today.

most of the titles are older ones. I got Bulletproof Monk and Sleepover ($9.99 for both). They had the 2 disc James Bond with Halle Berry (Die Another Day i think?) but it was only fullscreen. There was Raging Bull, the older version of Amityville Horror, Ronin, Spaceballs, War Games, and a few others that I can't recall right now.

CaseyB 07-20-05 11:42 PM

I picked up SE Fargo, SE Rain Man, SE Some Like It Hot, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and The Phantom Of The Opera (with Robert Englund). Nothing to get too excited over, but I'm happy I added these to my collection...at least the ones that aren't blind buys. :)

toogood 07-20-05 11:45 PM

Guess it was time to upgrade. Picked up the special edition of platoon and princess bride.

Golgo15 07-21-05 04:01 AM

Pathmark supermarkets are running the same promotion.

I picked up:
Fargo SE
Magnificent Seven SE
Wargames
Red Dawn

The last two are non-anamorphic but I doubt we'll ever see special edition re-releases on them anytime soon.

DeepSleep 07-21-05 06:53 PM

My local Ralphs had in addition to the titles already mentioned:

Platoon SE
Wicker Park

mekeez 07-21-05 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
I feel ya, spiral.

It's nice to know that a familiar grocery store (as opposed to the ones that are usually midwestern with all those fantastic deals) has a deal us Californians can take advantage of.

Except for the Californians whose Ralph's just closed like the one in my town. There were a number in the state that they closed. So, finally, they have a deal but just closed a couple of weeks ago. Thanks, Ralph's.

SlingshotBandit 07-22-05 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by mekeez
Except for the Californians whose Ralph's just closed like the one in my town. There were a number in the state that they closed. So, finally, they have a deal but just closed a couple of weeks ago. Thanks, Ralph's.

That bites. I wonder why they closed down. Did the strike of a year or two back hurt their business?

DeepSleep 07-22-05 09:13 PM

The Ralphs by the office also had:

The Big Country
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Yours, Mine and Ours
12 Angry Men

mekeez 07-23-05 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
That bites. I wonder why they closed down. Did the strike of a year or two back hurt their business?

Ralphs, which is owned by the Kroger Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio, has closed approximately 30 stores in California since January 2004, O'Neil said.
The company is selling 10 Cala Foods, five Bell Markets and five Ralphs stores in Northern California, Schaffner said.
Many of the 30 stores that the company has closed since January 2004 have not reopened as groceries, O'Neil said. That's often because the stores being closed are in poorly performing locations.
The store has been unprofitable since it was acquired in 1999, when Albertsons and Lucky were forced to sell some stores before regulators approved their merger, O'Neil said.