Costco-Friends DVD's 6 for $3.94 plus tax after all rebates

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Costco-Friends DVD's 6 for $3.94 plus tax after all rebates

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-05, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to disagree about the fraud comment. It would be fraud if I bought the DVDs, claimed the rebate, then returned the dvds so that I would be recieving a rebate on something I didn't purchase. That is not the case! I legitimately purchased and will be keeping the dvds whose proof of purchase tabs I am using for the rebate. The only thing I am doing is using a receipt from another store so that WB won't throw a fit over the fact that they were purchased at Costco. I bought/paid for the DVDs, I'm just making it look like they came from a different store.
Old 07-17-05, 03:20 AM

I just got ALL the "Sex and the City" sets with this offer, and am thinking about going back tom. to pick up the "Friends" sets as well, even though I am broke, but this deal is TOO good to pass up!!! We Shall see tom...
Old 07-17-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jetflair
I have to disagree about the fraud comment. It would be fraud if I bought the DVDs, claimed the rebate, then returned the dvds so that I would be recieving a rebate on something I didn't purchase. That is not the case! I legitimately purchased and will be keeping the dvds whose proof of purchase tabs I am using for the rebate. The only thing I am doing is using a receipt from another store so that WB won't throw a fit over the fact that they were purchased at Costco. I bought/paid for the DVDs, I'm just making it look like they came from a different store.
it is fraud since you're claiming you bought it from BB, but then you did not. And if WB checked with BB, they'll find out that you returned the DVD. Your explanation won't hold up in a court of law.
Old 07-17-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
and thus ends another episode of

Judge Phammy

*gavel bangs

Old 07-17-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes I asked about six because of the example. I knew there were more.
Old 07-17-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phammy really wouldn't like that I saw an extra $3 off pizza coupon on the counter and slipped it into my pocket when the cashier had his back turned.
Old 07-17-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BASTID!

A court of law will not be your friend either!
Old 07-17-05, 11:48 AM

In response to jetflair's actions:

The real problem here is the "Not valid in combination with any other offers" clause of the rebate terms. I take this to mean not valid with any other manufacturer's offers, so that in this case WB doesn't pay out on more than one promo for a DVD set. This must be the case, otherwise the following types of purchases would be disallowed:

*Any Amazon.com purchase where just $1 in promo certificates from BK Cash Cards was redeemed. (This is another offer after all).

*Any on-line purchase made through e b a t e s or other click-through sites.

*Any cash-back or miles based credit card purchases of sets, as you are getting cash back or miles (again, another offer).

So, to me it is quite clear that this wording must mean WB promos only. Thus, the question becomes is the Costco coupon a WB sponsored offer? Let's say for the moment it is not. In such case, WB disallowing the rebate as Costco had a coupon would be unfair, and they would be the party committing fraud (you can get the rebate, here are the terms - oh wait, never mind, not valid as you used a coupon at Costco).

On the other hand, if the Costco coupon is WB sponsored, then WB is in the right. Unfortunately, we do not have info on who sponsored the costco promo. Since there is plenty of time until the WB rebate expires, I'd try to do some research on where the Costco coupon came from. If you can document Costco solely sponsored the promo, then jetflair should send off and use the Costco receipt. If WB disallows the rebate, then a small claims suit I believe would be in jetflair's favor based on all the above.

Last edited by Zutton; 07-17-05 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-17-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Costco coupon is a manufacturer's coupon so I think they do get reimbursed by WB.
Old 07-17-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
uhhhh... that's fraud.
How is that fraud? He really purchased the sets and it does not matter where they were purchased at. Does the rebate slip stated that they are not valid at Costco?
Old 07-17-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I was too busy to get there today so I did not partake. Too bad I didn't know about this a day or two earlier.
Old 07-17-05, 11:19 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My local Costco was almost out of the Friends DVDs (only a couple of seasons left) when I went in today
Old 07-18-05, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by TheKobra
How is that fraud? He really purchased the sets and it does not matter where they were purchased at. Does the rebate slip stated that they are not valid at Costco?
It is fraud because he will be submitting false information (a receipt from a purchase that he returned). If it truly does not matter where they are purchased (which we don't know for certain, anyway), then he should submit the rebate with his actual receipt from Costco.
Old 07-18-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

jetflair-has your opinion been swayed or will you be avoiding this thread?
Old 07-18-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by guessed
It is fraud because he will be submitting false information (a receipt from a purchase that he returned). If it truly does not matter where they are purchased (which we don't know for certain, anyway), then he should submit the rebate with his actual receipt from Costco.
BINGO!
Old 07-18-05, 01:18 PM

My gf bought the entire run of Sex and the City. When I saw them, I was surprised to see them packed in cardboard longboxes, just like CDs used to be packaged in. I've never seen the Sex and the City season sets packaged like this anywhere else. Is this something unique to Costco?
Old 07-18-05, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
My gf bought the entire run of Sex and the City. When I saw them, I was surprised to see them packed in cardboard longboxes, just like CDs used to be packaged in. I've never seen the Sex and the City season sets packaged like this anywhere else. Is this something unique to Costco?
Yes, this is a Costco thing. With few exceptions, all of their DVDs are packaged in this manner. The exceptions that I know of are things that are too large for such packaging, such as the Flying Circus sets, which are given a plastic outer packaging that is also unique to Costco.
Old 07-18-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BINGO!

What did he win?
Old 07-18-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
What did he win?
a $10 rebate for sex!
Old 07-18-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
They are packaged this way to prevent shoplifting. Costco doesn't have an alarm device at the door that would set off the security sticker. All that they have are doormen that check your receipt.
Old 07-18-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
a $10 rebate for sex!
don't you mean a $10 rebate for trying to buy Friends?
Old 07-18-05, 11:16 PM

Is this deal dead? The coupon has expired, correct?
Old 07-18-05, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
don't you mean a $10 rebate for trying to buy Friends?

Well, I paid for Sex with Friends, but I hope to get at least some of my money back. Ok, the joke is dead, we killed it.

And, yes, mnieto, the coupon is no longer valid.
Old 07-19-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

a $10 rebate for sex!

Phammy's giving a discount on sex!

What's the rate?
Old 07-19-05, 03:07 AM

jetflair-has your opinion been swayed or will you be avoiding this thread?
Well, it's a bit late for my opinion to be swayed since I sent the rebate in before reading the comments

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.