DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Hollywood Video - Trade in your DVDs & VHS starting June 12th! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/425775-hollywood-video-trade-your-dvds-vhs-starting-june-12th.html)

Gizmo 06-07-05 01:55 AM

Hollywood Video - Trade in your DVDs & VHS starting June 12th!

All details can be found below...
Click for the Info...

How do you determine your trade-in prices?
Trade-in credit is based on product availability within our store. A title that our store needs will qualify for a higher trade credit. DVDs earn an average credit of $3 and VHS titles earn an average of 50 cents

Finally! I can dump by VHS!

FM 06-07-05 07:38 AM

Wow. What crap...is Blockbuster still giving at least $5? And .50 doesn't seem like the trouble it would take to make the drive.

I appreciate you posting this, but I wonder what kind of results they'll get.

Fred

dadaluholla 06-07-05 07:43 AM

Interesting, but I think I'll just stick to my plan of selling the rest of my VHS at my mom's yardsale this summer. People will still pay $3-5 for a tape around here.

Jah-Wren Ryel 06-07-05 08:57 AM

BBV no longer guarantees a min of $5/DVD, at least not as a national policy.

I'm HV will do something stupid and offer $8 to "kick it off" like BBV did. I got some more junk to unload...

Gizmo 06-07-05 09:40 AM

BB guarantees $3 now ONLY if you are trading it in towards another used DVD in there store... and BBV does not take VHS.

Centurion 06-07-05 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
BBV no longer guarantees a min of $5/DVD, at least not as a national policy.

I'm HV will do something stupid and offer $8 to "kick it off" like BBV did. I got some more junk to unload...

I hope so.

Kaiser Soze 06-07-05 09:56 AM

This is still better than nothing. I've been waiting quite some time for either Hollywood or BBV to do this again. I mean, I'm almost out of BBV credit. :) Time to go trade in some more junk.

superdeluxe 06-07-05 10:01 AM

$3??

Man Hoping for Blockbuster's DVD trade in again.

Austin54 06-07-05 10:48 AM

I am getting between $2 and $9 for my vhs tapes on ebay. The dvds are going for between $3 and $12 (except for the sets). HV isn't offering me enough.
Austin

Darthebarbarian 06-07-05 11:20 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be heading down with a ton of VHS tapes (only 25 a day). I know you could get more on Ebay, but every time I tried it was more effort than what I would get for them.
At least with this, you dump them off and get credit and are done with it. No shipping, non-paying bidders, negative feedback, etc. you get with Ebay. I sell stuff on half.com all the time, but never VHS it just sits there.

Edited for grammar! ;)

pagansoul 06-07-05 11:24 AM

The VideoStops in my area (Duluth, GA) are selling off VHS for .99. I saw some really good stuff and I almost thought about getting a VHS machine to watch them. The thought didn't last. :)

TheNightFlier 06-07-05 11:33 AM

Yay, I can dump a lot of my old tapes.

gto5830 06-07-05 06:36 PM

Found a store here in Largo, Fl, by the name of MovieStop. You can buy both used and new DVD's and VHS. They also take 3 dvd's in trade for a brand new dvd. Don't really know how many of these stores are aroun. Just happen to find it while shopping and went in and they even had a movie I was looking for that no one else had, even Wal-Marts!!!Might want to check them out if they are in your area.

duganrm 06-07-05 06:43 PM

I doubt they would give me much for trying to dump ~725 titles on one store. Would be funny to sell them all my used ex-Blockbuster rentals though. ;) I think I will keep trying to get $1 each for them from either ebay or craigslist.

MahatmaPetey 06-11-05 04:12 PM

between the 12th and 15th you get at least $5 per dvd and $1 per vhs.

SoonerDoc 06-11-05 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by MahatmaPetey
between the 12th and 15th you get at least $5 per dvd and $1 per vhs.

where did you get this info....is this a fact?

starman9000 06-11-05 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
where did you get this info....is this a fact?

Technically it is only for friends and family, but it looks like the system is just set up that way, so I believe anyone can do it.

Shagrath 06-12-05 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by gto5830
Found a store here in Largo, Fl, by the name of MovieStop. You can buy both used and new DVD's and VHS. They also take 3 dvd's in trade for a brand new dvd. Don't really know how many of these stores are aroun. Just happen to find it while shopping and went in and they even had a movie I was looking for that no one else had, even Wal-Marts!!!Might want to check them out if they are in your area.

Your post is a little misleading about MovieStop's promotion. Yes, you can trade in 3 to get a brand new dvd, but your selection is limited (similar to GameStop's same promotion). You can get anything from the "New Release" wall up to $19.99, or a pre-order up to $19.99.

I called them last night and I guess the wording I chose to ask the question was confusing. I asked something like "On your bring in three dvds, get a new one free, is that for select titles, or is anything eligible?" He said "As long as it's a major studio: Warner Brothers, Sony, Disney, etc., then it's okay." I asked if Criterion was considered a major studio, thinking that I could trade in 3 crap dvds and get one of those, and he said that yes, they are a major studio.

It was close to the time they were closing, so I told him I'd drop by tomorrow, and scoured my shelves for about 15 minutes pulling crap I didn't need, or cheap stuff I could replace easily. As the night went on, I got to thinking maybe he was thinking that I was asking what titles I would bring in would be eligible. I just got off the phone with them and got the information from my first paragraph. I knew it was too good to be true, but I know that GameStop has done stupid shit in the past, and MovieStop is owned by them, so I had a glimmer of hope.. Oh well. :(

richard98 06-12-05 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Technically it is only for friends and family, but it looks like the system is just set up that way, so I believe anyone can do it.

I got $5 each. Thanks.

boe 06-12-05 02:12 PM

Wherehouse

I used to trade 3 for 1 at Wherehouse in the Los Angeles area. I can't find a store that is still open and trades. I'm really bumming - that was very convenient for me but it was sweet while it lasted. I'm hoping a chain like this will do it again in the LA area again.

guessed 06-12-05 08:05 PM

Thanks Petey. I traded 24 dvds (all of which had been rejected for Hastings 4 for 1), and got $5 each thanks to the price bump that is available through the 15th. I probably wouldn't even have bothered trying if you hadn't posted about that.

Gizmo 06-13-05 12:41 PM

So...12th-15th...Sounds good. I'll have to dump off some crap later today.
Now, for those that have done it, does the credit go onto your account, or on a giftcard (to be used at other stores for example)?

MrE 06-13-05 12:48 PM

:question: Gizmo, the answers are in your first link.

Gizmo 06-13-05 01:31 PM

Duhhh, sorry.

Megalion 06-14-05 01:33 AM

I just dumped 35 dvds at my local HV (Ventura, CA)... 5 on my way home and then I went back with 30 more in anticipation of having to make repeat trips over the next couple of days with the rest of my culled dvds. They took them all without mention of the 25 per day limit.

They did reject No Good Deed, When the Bough Breaks, and this surprised me... the original Pitch Black Unrated release (I'd upgraded). They said that the system wouldn't let them take it but to bring them back tomorrow cause it changes on a daily basis.

If I thought there was a chance that Ballbuster would bring back the $8 trade deal I might have waited... but as it is... I've been wondering how to trim down my 1400+ collection because there was a lot of discs I bought back in 2000 in the era of great coupons when I was buying like crazy when there was much less choice.

I've also considered Ebay or Amazon but the fees are just so much combined with the hassle of listing... waiting for it to sell... waiting for payment... dealing with people... packing stuff up and shipping it, etc etc etc. I'm willing to accept the tradeoff in dollar whatever it might be... $5 no hassle store credit vs $2-5 cash (probably ususally in the lower end after all the fees) via lots of time/energy/grief.

The guy checking them in complimented me on how well I took care of my discs... Well... at least 3 of the ones i turned in were still in original shrink wrap! Most of the rest were watched once if even that.

So the dude with 725... give it a try... I think it helps if you already have an acct with them.