DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

History Book Club $4 DVDs

Old 06-06-05, 03:58 PM

History Book Club $4 DVDs

Okay, Here the deal goto www.joinhistorybookclub.com then enter 1372Y4 in online code. If you do a search on DVD you should get the following for $1

CHICAGO DVD
TROY (2-DVD)
MASTER & COMMANDER - DVD
SPIDER-MAN®: THE MOVIE (2-DVD SET)
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (2-DVD)
COLD MOUNTAIN
ICE AGE: SPECIAL EDITION

I am not sure, but I think that some of DVDs might be full-screen :-( Like many of you I perfer wide screen, but for $4.00 each what do I have to lose. Maybe I could sell them or trade them in for wide screen.

Okay, Here is the Kool part. You are not obligated to buy anymore and I think they through in "A dashing hunter green attache' 11 1/2 by 17"

I have not recieved my order, but here is what it looks like:

MASTER & COMMANDER - DVD
Submitted

$1.00

TROY (2-DVD)
Submitted

$1.00

COLD MOUNTAIN
Submitted

$1.00

CHICAGO DVD
Submitted

$1.00

Subtotal: $4.00
Shipping and Handling: $12.06
Estimated Sales Tax: $0.00

Total:

$16.06

Here is the fine print:

Get 4 Books for $4.00
Plus a FREE Tote Bag!
WITH MEMBERSHIP
MEMBERSHIP AGREEMENT

Like what you've seen so far?
It's just a preview of what's in store for you! Join us today and start saving up to 40% off publishers' edition prices with membership. Read below for all the details.

Unequaled Value

Begin by selecting your 4 books for $4 . You will be billed (including $12.06 shipping and handling for your introductory package) when your membership has been approved. Plus, with this special membership, there's no commitment to buy any books!

(Note: Sets will incur an additional shipping and handling charge of $2.19. Counts as two selections will be billed as two separate books. Members are solely responsible for applicable sales tax except in states where club has physical location whereas we will collect from you.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

If, for any reason, you are not pleased with your introductory books, return them within 20 days at our expense. Your membership will be canceled; you'll owe nothing.

Great Buys

As a member, you'll receive the History Book Club Review up to 19 times a year (about every 3 weeks) - so you'll always know about the latest books, often before they appear in bookstores! Each issue of the Review offers an Editor's Choice and over 150 other books at savings up to 40% off publishers' edition prices. Plus you can save up to 75% with our special offers and sales! A shipping and handling charge is added to each shipment. We'll also send you e-mails on special offers, membership benefits and other information which may be of interest to you.

Special Savings for New Members

Enjoy extra savings when you order another book now for just 50% off publishers' prices (plus shipping and handling).

It's easy to get the books you want

Ordering is risk-free. If you want the Editor's Choice, do nothing; we'll send it to you automatically. If you want another book - or no book at all - reply by the specified date via the website, by phone, or by returning the reply card enclosed with every catalog. You'll always have 10 days to decide. If your reply is late and unwanted books arrive, you can return them at our expense and we'll credit your account.

History Book Club Bonus Points

Every club-priced purchase earns you valuable Bonus Points that you can redeem for savings of up to 60% off publishers' edition prices on club titles (plus shipping and handling).

Why Not Join Today?

Join now and start enjoying the benefits of club membership!

May the Road Rise with You!
Old 06-06-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is a hot deal, particularly for those who are interested in the club's books.

I tried the code on QPB's site, and it didn't work.

Last edited by SFranke; 06-06-05 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 05:33 PM
Cool New Member

I'm in!

Thanks for the deal...looks good!
Old 06-06-05, 08:56 PM

I signed up too. Thanks OP.

Edited to add: I signed up for books and not the DVDs.
Old 06-06-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like most of them are full screen. And are all of these region 1 releases?
Old 06-06-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well for Ice Age, it says Special Edition with the SE cover and says two disc, and there's only one two disc SE (other edition is a one disc non SE FS) so that one should be safe. There is only one Cold Mountain release so that one should be WS.

Troy & LOTR:ROTK are probably FS (going by cover), and Chicago, Master & Commander, Spider-Man are unknown.

since this is similar to CH and it's an "application" and have to be approved..it might not go through..but worth it I guess if you want to take the risk (as well as possibly get some FS discs)
Old 06-06-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you go to http://www.joinqpb.com and enter the code 0817D8 You get can up to 6 items, $1.00 each, $2.99 for the 6th item and of course shipping fees. You only have to buy 1 item for commitment.

There are only two DVDs I want and they don't carry a lot of books I'm interested in. Ho-hum.

They also have National Treasure and A Christmas Story SE (Counts As 2)
Old 06-06-05, 10:42 PM
Tay

This is a great deal. May sound bad, but I just signed up for it and got 4 books, but I chose one book that was expensive at Amazon and I will sell it on the marketplace to make back my costs of the club and then some. These books are good deals though! Even their club price is a lot cheaper then Amazon.
Old 06-06-05, 10:49 PM
Tay

Now that I've ordered, I can't help but feel a little guilty that I get 4 expensive books for 1$ each. I know I could cancel instantly after I get my books, but it seems like it would hurt their business. Any thoughts?
Old 06-06-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tay, most of these books are book club editions and don't carry the same resale value as something you'd purchase at Amazon or a bookstore. If your a casual reader though you can't beat this deal.
Old 06-06-05, 11:03 PM
Tay

I honestly don't read too much, but I have a bookshelf with tons of history books. I just enjoy them. The only thing that I don't get is the catch. I may never buy another book, but I just want to know if that's normal and don't want to feel guilty.
Old 06-06-05, 11:08 PM

If your conscious weighs so heavily upon you, Tay, you might not want to hang out in the Bargains forum!

The History Book Club doesn't have to sell you those books if they do not want to. The exchange is a mutual agreement, so don't feel bad!
Old 06-06-05, 11:22 PM
Tay

Thanks. Threw my conscious aside. This is a great deal. Guess it's no different than me loading up on dvds when they are mispriced. The conscious doesn't come around too much and I guess I need to ignore it on dvdtalk.
Old 06-07-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ordered two dvds, a book and some baseball cards (yeah...they had some baseball cards..search "baseball" ..wonder what other odd stuff they have) ..if they actually approve..cool deal...if not no big loss..thanks CyberZombie
Old 06-07-05, 08:14 AM
Banned

THANKS, CYBERZOMBIE, for posting this great deal (whether for the books or the DVDs)!

Tay...your dilemma of conscience is understandable. I used to have the same problem with CD/DVD/book clubs until I learned how these deals work. Their offers are similar to the sale prices offered at retail stores, grocery stores, etc. They are "loss leaders" designed to encourage new business. You can rest assured that the companies "do the math" before issuing any new offers and conclude that they will still make a profit on the new customers who stay and buy items (which they would otherwise not purchase from the company) even after subtracting the "losses" from customers who merely fulfill the membership obligation and then cancel. Also remember that the company's cost is nowhere near what you pay for the item, so they are probably not "losing" anything on customers who cancel immediately. Maybe they only break even, I don't know...but they more than make up for it with the customers who stick around long enough to buy (due to "guilt", forgetting to cancel the "automatic" monthly shipment, etc.). If they were losing money, they would immediately stop making these offers!
So enjoy your membership(s) free of guilt...you are actually doing them a favor by giving them business (and, if you are like most people, you will eventually buy something on sale from some of these companies). Everybody wins.
BTW...I also used to have the same pangs of guilt when buying several copies of a sale item (DVD, etc.) at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc...until one time when I only picked out one copy and then saw two dealers I recognized from a local flea market grabbing up all the rest of those titles. Let's face it...if you don't get there early to most sales, SOMEBODY is going to get greedy. Still, if there are several copies, I will leave some for other bargain hunters UNLESS I'm buying them specifically as gifts for friends. I remember how disappointing it is to go to a sale and come up emptyhanded because someone has hogged all the bargains. I figure a copy for myself and two for resale is plenty. Might lose a few bucks that way but I sleep way better.

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-07-05 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-07-05, 08:46 AM
Banned

THEY OFFER MUCH MORE THAN JUST HISTORY BOOKS!!!!

Sorry for shouting & posting back-to-back, but just went to the site & surfed...within a couple of minutes, found such diverse items as cookbooks, science-fiction/horror, mysteries, children's books, jewelry boxes (!), red-leather-bound Lord of the Rings (counts as 2), and much more. All this in addition to their impressive line of history books. It's going to be hard to choose from among so many items...but I believe I'll go for the books since I have all the DVDs listed above. Just don't want to procrastinate so long that the deal disappears. For summer reading, Christmas gifts, etc....this deal is hard to beat (I'm assuming that these are identical to the Book-of-the-Month club books since they are affilitated). One caveat: If I remember correctly, their editions are identical to the publisher's editions...EXCEPT they don't have the retail price (I think). So you might have trouble trading or selling these...or you might get less for them, at any rate. Having said that, I used to love to get them for our own library since they were not the cheaper editions that the Literary Guild & its associates (Sci-Fi and Mystery Clubs) offered.
Old 06-07-05, 01:15 PM
Tay

A friend of mine joined the club and didn't enter a code. It says that she has an obligation, but isn't telling her what. How can she cancel and forget about it?
Old 06-07-05, 06:09 PM

Here's a code for QPB: 0896QA. 5 Books. 5 Bucks. Plus, Nothing More to Buy When You Take a Bonus Book Today [the Bonus Book is 50% off the regular price]. This includes an "overnight bag."

QPB has a wider selection of books, and have all of the DVDs in HBC has along with National Treasure, The Cat in the Hat, and A Christmas Story Special Edition.
Old 06-10-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my order shipped..CC was charged (3 cents less than their webpage said it would be) ..the order status for "all orders" says "submitted" but if you click the order number, all 4 items show as "Shipped" ..
Old 06-10-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have tried every search possible and I can't find any DVDs on either of those sites. Oy.
Old 06-10-05, 06:42 PM

Enter dvd in the search box.
Old 06-10-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I have tried every search possible and I can't find any DVDs on either of those sites. Oy.
Neither can I (HBC). Tried a search using 'dvd' and specific titles but it doesn't find them.

Edit: Nothing on QPB either. Odd.

Last edited by abintra; 06-10-05 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-10-05, 09:55 PM

OK I fooled around a little - when I am signed in, a search for dvd works. When I am signed out, the search does not work. They must have shitcanned the deal. I know when I signed up for the deal, the dvd search produced the list the OP has. Ergo, I conclude this deal is DEAD. Sorry.

Last edited by New Rambler; 06-10-05 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-11-05, 02:05 AM

I have now signed up for both book clubs as the offers posted were too good to pass up (for QPB I would recommend the Complete Cartoons of the New Yorker and the R. Crumb book, each more than worth the 24 bucks it ended up costing, and for HBC Washington's Crossing, 1776 and the Egyptian Rulers guide [forgot exact title] are outstanding and still cost a ton elsewhere.)

As a side note, anyone know of a forum dedicated to book deals and or book club forum deals, or just a forum for book clubs in general like we have for Columbia House? It would be amazing to find. Thanks for the deal OP and those who found other deals.
Old 06-12-05, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rothlover
As a side note, anyone know of a forum dedicated to book deals and or book club forum deals, or just a forum for book clubs in general like we have for Columbia House? It would be amazing to find. Thanks for the deal OP and those who found other deals.
You know there's a "Book Talk" forum on this board, right? I would imagine you might find posts about this type of thing there.

Incidentally, the QPB club code mentioned in one of the above posts for 5 for $1 each plus 50% off the one required fulfillment selection actually ends up the best deal. QPB has a broader book/dvd selection plus you can find some very cheap items for the 50% off fulfillment selection. In my case, I found a book for $2.99 which I used as the fulfillment item, so it only cost $1.50 (1/2 price).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.