DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Open Range for $4 at Kmart

Old 06-05-05, 07:14 PM

Open Range for $4 at Kmart

In today Kmart ad it shows
Open Range, People I Know, and The Neverending Story for $4 each and additional titles available. I recommend price matching these dvds at CC or BB.

Last edited by tucker; 06-05-05 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-05-05, 07:46 PM

Whoaaaaa. Thanks for the heads-up. I like Open Range quite a bit, and at that price ... it's a no-brainer.
Old 06-05-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. Thats crazy. Definetley a no-brainer.
Old 06-05-05, 09:17 PM

You will probably not find any attrative titles in that bargain shelf. Every K-mart store gets different assorted titles so it's definitely a YMMV. However, since the Open Range can be found on the alphabetized regular DVD shelf (priced $14.99), you might take it to the register and show the cashier the ad and walk out with it for $4 + tax. Good luck!
Old 06-06-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great movie, can't beat the price.
Old 06-06-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have no idea where a nearby K-Mart is anymore after most of them got shut down last year in my neck of the woods. I would have picked up Open Range as well, BTW, listen to the commentary, it's pretty interesting.
Old 06-06-05, 09:51 AM

Awesome...will have to stop by there on the way home from work today!
Old 06-06-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great price...I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the paper. I will pm to walmart since I have some groceries to get.
Old 06-06-05, 10:36 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

that sucks i just got this from dvdsoon for $12.00
Old 06-06-05, 12:08 PM

Be warned! I went into K-Mart and easily found a copy for $14.99. Took it to the register where (of course) it rings up as $14.99. Showed them the ad and they take it to a manager. The manager says "The sale doesn't start until tomorrow - its a new release". I tell him its not a new release and then he tells me that they actually do have some copies (to put out tomorrow) but these are USED resealed copies. He brings one up to the register (its marked $4.99) and agrees to let me purchase it a day early (what a guy). Well, I went ahead and bought it figuring I'd open it up and if its in bad shape I'll just get a refund. But the discs were really in near-mint condition (I wouldn't have know it was used and am still not positive it was) but it sure makes me leery about buying from them ever again if they're selling used DVD's with no labelling in the ads OR on the DVD to show this.
Old 06-06-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

did the DVD look brand new and sealed? did it have the title stickers on the top and the sides?
Old 06-06-05, 01:21 PM

I am confused. When did Kmart start selling used dvds? It doesn't look like the ad states that they are used.
Old 06-06-05, 01:45 PM

I had a similar problem. I had to go to the actually cases and have them pull it out for me. Then I was there for 30 minutes arguing about how it is suppose to be 4 dollars. They kept saying that "it must be the single disc edition" Anyway I got it for 4.99 but boy was the cashier rude.
Old 06-06-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by guessed
I am confused. When did Kmart start selling used dvds? It doesn't look like the ad states that they are used.
I bought a couple of anime titles(Gasaraki 1 and 7) last summer for $4.99 each and they were used. There was no indication that they were used, but when I unwrapped them, the Kmart $4.99 price sticker was affixed to the case itself(under the shrinkwrap). The inserts were also missing(the Gasaraki inserts are supposed to be awesome). The discs appeared to be perfect, but I was pissed enough that I returned them and demanded a refund.
Old 06-06-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I bought a couple of anime titles(Gasaraki 1 and 7) last summer for $4.99 each and they were used. There was no indication that they were used, but when I unwrapped them, the Kmart $4.99 price sticker was affixed to the case itself(under the shrinkwrap). The inserts were also missing(the Gasaraki inserts are supposed to be awesome). The discs appeared to be perfect, but I was pissed enough that I returned them and demanded a refund.
so they were deceptively packaged enough that you were fooled? did it have the factory sticker on top of the DVD case? thanks.
Old 06-06-05, 04:02 PM

There were no title stickers on the top and sides as you'd have with a new DVD. The resealing job looked no different than with a new DVD. Looking closer at the DVD the movie DVD is not in perfect condition and may have been buffed - the extras DVD looks near mint. The inside insert was present. The only sticker (on the outside of the plastic) was a K-Mart sticker which says "K-Mart Special DVD $4.99" and there was a bar-code.
Old 06-06-05, 05:06 PM

I PM'd this at my local Wal-Mart this afternoon. Had a little trouble locating the disc and had a WM employee help me find it. Once I had the disc in hand the price match was no problem at all. I never look at DVD prices in the K-Mart flyer, so a big thanks to the OP!!!
Old 06-06-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I just got back from BBY and PMed it. Thanks to tucker for pointing it out. got a BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED 2 Disc DVD for $4.
Old 06-06-05, 06:52 PM

i tried to pm at bb but the manager said no cus the price is too low , i said fine i will go to cc instead, and ten minutes later i walked out cc with 2 disc collectors-dvd for $ 2.90, with tax it came to $3.13
Old 06-06-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't bother quibbing over the 10% since I know it might cause them to change their mind about the PM. Congrats on getting it for under $4, tucker!

Last edited by runner001; 06-07-05 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-07-05, 09:03 AM
Banned

Thanks for pointing out that these are "used" copies. I found a copy yesterday and didn't even notice that the security seal was missing. Just now opened it and found that the first disc was badly scratched although the extra features disc is mint. Might have to return it...I wouldn't have bought this for $4 at a pawn shop in this condition. Ironically, I found two other copies in the "regular" bins for $14.99...but didn't try to buy them since both obviously contained "floaters" when I picked them up (the dreaded shifting-from-end-to-end-of-the-case sound). So I left them. On the other hand, I did get a sealed Widescreen copy of Eve's Bayou.

Guess the only way to get a mint copy is to try to get Wal-Mart to price-match...if I can find a copy. (sigh) Almost not worth the drive. Anyway, be careful when purchasing Open Range at K-Mart.

BTW...They had several copies of Lost Highway for David Lynch fans (probably my least-favorite Lynch movie...found it repetetive & boring).
Old 06-07-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks OP. My mama is the only one who looks in the KMart ad and never looks at the electronics section.

Since CC and BB are on the other side of town, I went to Wal-Mart for my weekly "new release Tuesday" stop - and couldn't find Open Range. Asked the cashier and they got a copy for me. Four dollars. No need for a manager override. Was out the door with this ($4.00), Coldplay X&Y ($9.72), and Sling Blade: Director's Cut ($12.99) for $28.05!

I even let her have the ad so she could buy a copy for her husband. Very nice lady.

Thanks again.
Old 06-07-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tucker
i tried to pm at bb but the manager said no cus the price is too low
That kind of crap is really stupid. Either they pm or they don't. I didn't know they could pm only if the price difference is small.
Old 06-07-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JohnBeas
Be warned! I went into K-Mart and easily found a copy for $14.99. Took it to the register where (of course) it rings up as $14.99. Showed them the ad and they take it to a manager. The manager says "The sale doesn't start until tomorrow - its a new release". I tell him its not a new release and then he tells me that they actually do have some copies (to put out tomorrow) but these are USED resealed copies. He brings one up to the register (its marked $4.99) and agrees to let me purchase it a day early (what a guy). Well, I went ahead and bought it figuring I'd open it up and if its in bad shape I'll just get a refund. But the discs were really in near-mint condition (I wouldn't have know it was used and am still not positive it was) but it sure makes me leery about buying from them ever again if they're selling used DVD's with no labelling in the ads OR on the DVD to show this.
Just another reason why K-Mart sucks balls.
Old 06-07-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Tried two K-Marts today, and the "DVDs were never delivered." They don't know if they'll ever come. Surprise, surprise. How's everyone else faring today?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.