DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Amazon - Some Fox First Seasons 40% Off (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/425178-amazon-some-fox-first-seasons-40%25-off.html)

mikeporter 06-02-05 01:06 PM

Amazon - Some Fox First Seasons 40% Off

Here is the complete list of Amazon's Fox TV DVD Sale:
Arrested Development S1 $23.99
Dark Angel S1 $23.99
Firefly $29.99
God, the Devil and Bob $16.19
Greg the Bunny $16.19
Lone Gunmen $23.99
Murder One S1 $35.99
Pretender S1 $23.99
Shield S1 $35.99
Tru Calling S1 $35.99
Wonderfalls $23.99

pilot 06-02-05 01:36 PM

Father's Day is June 19. Save 40% on First-Season TV DVDs for Dad

some more.

shaggy 06-03-05 12:15 AM

Anyone who doesn't have Wonderfalls, do yourself a favor a pick it up. Its amazing and the creators new it was getting canned so its wrapped up nicely. I warn you, be prepared to hate Fox. How do they cancel shows this good?

dvd182 06-03-05 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by shaggy
Anyone who doesn't have Wonderfalls, do yourself a favor a pick it up. Its amazing and the creators new it was getting canned so its wrapped up nicely. I warn you, be prepared to hate Fox. How do they cancel shows this good?

I don't know, I was really disappointed by it (blind buy when it was released). It got good reviews on a lot of message boards and the like, but I thought it was average at best. It certainly isn't a bad show, but I didn't think the humor or the writing was anything special. That being said, there are certainly many others who disagree with me.

guessed 06-03-05 01:19 AM

Thanks mike & pilot. I ordered Wonderfalls, Reno 911, and Keen Eddie. I want Firefly, but I'm holding out for a slightly lower price.

dvdbunny 06-03-05 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by dvd182
I don't know, I was really disappointed by it (blind buy when it was released). It got good reviews on a lot of message boards and the like, but I thought it was average at best. It certainly isn't a bad show, but I didn't think the humor or the writing was anything special. That being said, there are certainly many others who disagree with me.

The reason is that a lot of people didn't watch it although they might have liked it. Fox has just been bad in finding the audience for their series at times. Although you might hate Fox for cancelling these shows but the same shows wouldn't have had a chance elsewhere. Fox does take chances on seemingly innovative but ratings wise risky projects.

illennium 06-03-05 08:13 AM

I found Wonderfalls to be more or less unwatchable.

mookiemeister 06-03-05 08:23 AM

I love Wonderfalls. It's one of my favorite shows. I bought the DVD when it came out a while ago.

uhftv 06-03-05 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by guessed
Thanks mike & pilot. I ordered Wonderfalls, Reno 911, and Keen Eddie. I want Firefly, but I'm holding out for a slightly lower price.

People tend to forget Keen Eddie got the shaft just as bad, if not worse, than Wonderfalls and Firefly. The barebones dvds dont help, but everyone should give it a shot, as it's my favorite of the bunch.

misterchimpy 06-03-05 02:00 PM

I thought Wonderfalls was really amazing. It has some terrific acting by Caroline Dhavernas, entertaining creature animations(similar in style to the ones in the Life Aquatic, though more lively) and a great supporting cast. The scripts are very well done(almost, too clever in places) and from a production standpoint, they often stuff a lot of details into the scenes. If it had debuted on cable, it probably would have been a hit. I can understand that some people might not like it, the main character is frankly, a bitch(but a lovable one, lol). To quote from the show,she is spiteful in a way that the definition of the word spiteful doesn't really prepare you for.

The commentaries on the discs are great too, I usually don't listen to them(blasphemy!) because usually there is a lot of "this person is a genius" etc, and there is some of that here, but the creators also spend a lot of time talking about the endless creative battles with Fox executives over endless petty details, it really gives you an insight into the tv series production 'process'. They also talk about their plans for future seasons and even sing the theme song at one point.

The other thing about the set is that they shot all 13 episodes before they aired, and they kind of had an inkling that it was in trouble, so there are multiple story arcs that do come to a conclusion, it actually feels more like a mini series in that regard rather than a lot of discrete episodes.

Jago 06-03-05 02:18 PM

Firefly is definitely worth more than $29. And it's definitely worth regular price at the very least.

I liked Keen Eddie a lot, just not enough to buy a season which abruptly ends.

MrE 06-03-05 03:10 PM

"My show was shafted worse than your show." Sigh.

I haven't picked up Keen Eddie because they replaced a lot of the original music (well-documented in these threads so I won't get into it here). Thumbs up otherwise. Ditto for Firefly (a terrific series that has spawned the movie SERENITY) and Wonderfalls, which unfortuantely suffered critical silence be starting shortly after the similar, if more unctuous, Joan of Arcadia.

paranoia 06-03-05 03:15 PM

Firefly is AWESOME.
Amazingly they canceled it after one season.
It is up there with other mysterous cancellations like Farscape on the SciFi channel.

I saw the advanced showing of Serenity.
It is the Firefly movie coming out in September.
See it!!! Great movie. Great wrap up to an great series.

Dave C 06-03-05 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by paranoia
Firefly is AWESOME.
Amazingly they canceled it after one season.
It is up there with other mysterous cancellations like Farscape on the SciFi channel.

I saw the advanced showing of Serenity.
It is the Firefly movie coming out in September.
See it!!! Great movie. Great wrap up to an great series.

DVDVerdict review for Firefly:

Video: 95
Audio: 97
Extras: 100
Acting: 100
Story: 100
Judgment: 100

Sounds like it may be worth checking out

Jago 06-03-05 03:47 PM

Buy Firefly, you won't regret it. Amazon.com has over 1000 reviews for it.

GameGenie 06-03-05 03:51 PM

ill probley pick up wonderfalls

Jah-Wren Ryel 06-03-05 07:03 PM

Firefly movie coming out early fall, so it might be worth picking up the series ahead of time. Or they might have a killer cross-promo deal closer to the release date. You never know.

mikeporter 06-04-05 11:20 AM

Here is the complete list of Amazon's Fox TV DVD Sale:
Arrested Development S1 $23.99
Dark Angel S1 $23.99
Firefly $29.99
God, the Devil and Bob $16.19
Greg the Bunny $16.19
Lone Gunmen $23.99
Murder One S1 $35.99
Pretender S1 $23.99
Shield S1 $35.99
Tru Calling S1 $35.99
Wonderfalls $23.99

bwsmom 06-04-05 12:25 PM

WooHoo! I don't know HOW I missed the fact that The Lone Gunmen was on this list, but now it's on its way to my door!! YIPPPEEEE!!!! Thanks OP!!! :toast:

runner001 06-04-05 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Firefly movie coming out early fall, so it might be worth picking up the series ahead of time. Or they might have a killer cross-promo deal closer to the release date. You never know.

do you have more info on the movie? link perhaps? I really enjoyed the TV show.

Jah-Wren Ryel 06-04-05 02:19 PM

http://imdb.com/title/tt0379786/

lizard 06-04-05 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by runner001
do you have more info on the movie? link perhaps? I really enjoyed the TV show.

The DVD Talk thread on the movie "Serenity" is at http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415213

BiMonSciFiCon 06-04-05 10:12 PM

Thanx - may p/u God, the Devil and Bob

runner001 06-04-05 10:30 PM

thanks for the links.

lizard 06-07-05 12:06 PM

DDD has decided to undercut the Amazon price for Firefly by a dime: $29.89. If DDD does have its 20% sale in the near future, it is likely that the discount will be based on the usual price of $34.98, but one never knows...

I checked several other sets on the Amazon list and didn't see any at DDD that matched the Amazon price.