Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '05

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Kenshin SET is the best but alot peoples spoiler cuz it little about religion ARC.
Old 06-19-05, 12:03 PM
Defunct Account

Made my weekly pilgramage to Best Buy today, mainly to scope out things that I might want to buy w. DDD's 20% off coupon. While I was there I found the DGZ Great Saiyaman V 1 w/ box marked at $11.99 and it rang up at that price too. I don't think that's been previously reported.

Snagged Case Closed S4 V2 also. It is still ringing up at $7.99.
Old 06-19-05, 03:48 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by toogood
Since it wasn't based on the manga like season 1 and 2, 3 just didn't have the same draw as it's predecessor. I wasn't engrossed in the story as I was with 1 and 2.
I thought that the third story-arc was pretty good, while I did not enjoy all the different little storylines, I would still pick it up eventually, especially if I found a good price for it (under $90).
Old 06-19-05, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I enjoyed the Son of God story arc, the rest of the stories were pretty lame. Now that the manga is being released stateside, why not buy those instead? The Revenge arc should start around volume 18 or so and it should be released in September. My younger cousins are big Kenshin fans and that's why I got the DVDs and even they thought that the last season wasn't all that good, then again, anything after Kyoto that wasn't the Revenge arc would have been a letdown anyway.

Originally Posted by Abbadon74
Hey guys, I need some input here, if you don't mind. I have the first two Kenshin sets, but I heard the last one was terrible. I value the opinions here. What do you guys think? Should I finish the set?

Thanks,

-B
Old 06-20-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
Invader Zim, not really anime, but it's still awesome.
My girlfriend loves the show. She is trying to convince me to buy the extra disc with box but I have a hard time spending ~$20 on an extras disc.
Old 06-20-05, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by duganrm
My girlfriend loves the show. She is trying to convince me to buy the extra disc with box but I have a hard time spending ~$20 on an extras disc.
Well, it is a really big box too.
Also, weirdly, it is cheaper to buy all three volumes and the box seperately than to buy the fully-populated box.
Besides, a girlfriend who likes Zim is a keeper, so you need to do what you gotta do.
Old 06-20-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Well, it is a really big box too.
Also, weirdly, it is cheaper to buy all three volumes and the box seperately than to buy the fully-populated box.
Besides, a girlfriend who likes Zim is a keeper, so you need to do what you gotta do.
Ahahaha, more people should think the way you do.

To be honest, I never made it very far into the third set of Kenshin (via regular DVDs)... Take that how you will.
Old 06-20-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdperson
Do the DVDs from the ADV sale still have the errors on them? I was thinking of getting the RahXephon movie but I wanted to know if they give the one with audio error on it, the one where the movie plays dialogue from the right channel instead of the center. Can you exchange the movie for the right one?
I don't know which one you'll get (though the people that ordered Southern cross in a similar ADV sale got the defective disk in that set). You can get a replacement, though it may take a while... I think it took more than a month for me. You have to contact ADV through the website and give them your email address, they'll reply, and will send you a disc...

As far as Kenshin season 3 goes: I doubt people dislike it because of the religion aspect, but rather because it was all "filler" to take up time until Watsuki finished the revenge arc in the manga. Unfortunately, it ended up being the last season. Not that anime filler is always bad, but because they can't alter any of the characters (since you're making up stories not in the manga), there's little to no real change in them. Besides, the bento boxes, while pretty neat looking, suffer from having each DVD being in a little cardboard sleeve, which is far from optimum when storing the discs.
Old 06-20-05, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
To be honest, I never made it very far into the third set of Kenshin (via regular DVDs)... Take that how you will.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm thinking I'll pass on the third box. Can anyone recommend a good DDD deal that's normally too expensive? What do you guys think about Gantz? I saw the disks were low already and after the discount would be pretty decent. I don't know anything about the series. Tenjo Tenge? The new Anthology box from the creator of Inu Yasha? I'd really like to pick up some decent stuff, but I'm a little unsure of what's worth it.

As of now, I think I'm just picking up a few television series boxes and maybe the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex someone recommended earlier.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best,

-B
Old 06-20-05, 09:15 PM

Stay away from Gantz, only two episodes per disc. Go for box sets of completed series in order to maximize your anime-entertainment dollar -- Tenjo Tenge is pretty cool, but only one of six or seven volumes has been released so far.
Old 06-20-05, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm thinking I'll pass on the third box. Can anyone recommend a good DDD deal that's normally too expensive? What do you guys think about Gantz? I saw the disks were low already and after the discount would be pretty decent. I don't know anything about the series. Tenjo Tenge? The new Anthology box from the creator of Inu Yasha? I'd really like to pick up some decent stuff, but I'm a little unsure of what's worth it.

As of now, I think I'm just picking up a few television series boxes and maybe the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex someone recommended earlier.

Best,

-B

Well, here are some which I recommend.

ESCAFLOWNE-COMPLETE COLLECTION $47.99
EXCEL SAGA V.01-IM PERFECT COLLECT $47.87
FULL METAL PANIC-COMPLETE COLLECTI $47.84
RAHXEPHON COMPLETE COLLECTION $47.84
NINJA SCROLL SERIES-ULTIMATE COLLE $31.64 *There's also a tin version which cost a little bit more
RECORD OF LODOSS WAR: CHRONICLES OF THE $30.22
RECORD OF LODOSS WAR COLLECTOR'S SERIES $25.90
SORCERER HUNTERS 1ST COMPLETE COL $31.91
Y'S LEGACY-ENTIRE SERIES $14.38
Old 06-21-05, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went ahead and added in the other recommendations I saw (forgive me if I missed any), and added in a few of my own. Again, if you really want my recommendations (they might come in handy for this sale), I listed quite a few a while back (in this thread) with review links.
Old 06-21-05, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
I went ahead and added in the other recommendations I saw (forgive me if I missed any), and added in a few of my own. Again, if you really want my recommendations (they might come in handy for this sale), I listed quite a few a while back (in this thread) with review links.

Duh! What was I thinking? Thanks for doing that again. There were only a couple I haven't picked up yet, but that's perfect. Great call, by the way.

Thanks again,

-B
Old 06-21-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Duh! What was I thinking? Thanks for doing that again. There were only a couple I haven't picked up yet, but that's perfect. Great call, by the way.

Thanks again,

-B
Let us know what you think once you've gotten a chance to watch whacha get.
Old 06-21-05, 06:35 PM
Defunct Account

Recieved my 1st DDD order today, and my copies of the Real Bout High School complete collection and the Reign the Conqueror complete collection came w/ CD soundtracks shrink wrapped with them. Pretty cool for under $20 each.
Old 06-21-05, 08:26 PM
Defunct Account

Best,

-B
I agree with Jah, Gantz only has two episodes per disc, and isn't a very good deal. It takes until volume three to get into the story too. (At least it did for me.)

I enjoyed Rumiko Takahashi Anthology, though you might want to wait till the collected set comes out next month. I haven't done the math, but I assume it is cheaper. (Just put it on your wish list for the next DDD sale....that's what I do.)

Haven't seen Tenjo, so I can't comment on that, but GitS: SAC is excellent. I really like the series.

Hope this helps,

-John
Old 06-22-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by videophile
...but GitS: SAC is excellent. I really like the series.

-John
I second the GiTS:SAC recommendation, the DDD sale is a great way to pick up the first season. If you are not buying the LEs, it's about $87 for the whole thing.

BTW, Yukikaze was not "cancelled", a misconception that some people seem to have. Bandai has been waiting for the rest of the show to actually be released in Japan to bring the rest of it over. The Operation 5 Japanese R2 dvds won't be released until this August. I think the R1 Yukikaze release was a test of the LE/SE v. regular edition format (would people pay more for a DTS edition) that is now used for the R1 GitS:SAC releases.

Last edited by nekobus; 06-22-05 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-22-05, 05:45 PM

I'll be picking up GITS: SAC as well, I can't pass up $14.99 minus 20% for the regular editions. Great deal for a great series.
Old 06-22-05, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by toogood
Well, here are some which I recommend.

Y'S LEGACY-ENTIRE SERIES $14.38
Are you recommending it because of the price or because of the show? Have you even seen it before? It sucks! I got this in the DDD 20% sale 12 months ago and it is total crap. Y's II is much better.
Old 06-22-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget Berserk, my favorite anime ever, and totally worth the full MSRP IMO. $80-90 I probably spent on it.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=MBI060097

$43ish after coupon

or $67ish for the better 6-disc + box premium collection.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-22-05 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-22-05, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Reign is also very cheap because it is an aquired taste. I like Peter Chung's animation style, but I thought this show was just too weird and boring for me.

Now I really liked his Riddick Chronicles short. That can be had relatively cheap. Unfortunately it's widescreen P&S and not anamorphic.
Old 06-22-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DDD has GITS:SAC Volume 6 SE for just $20.99. This has a list price of $49.99 and comes with a t-shirt. I paid just $16.79 after the coupon was applied. Definitely worth the extra $4.80 over the regular version.
Old 06-22-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Don't forget Berserk, my favorite anime ever, and totally worth the full MSRP IMO. $80-90 I probably spent on it.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=MBI060097

$43ish after coupon

or $67ish for the better 6-disc + box premium collection.
Yeah, I listed the cheaper version under suggestions/recommendations in the intial post. It's one of my favorite series as well.
Old 06-22-05, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gamelore
Are you recommending it because of the price or because of the show? Have you even seen it before? It sucks! I got this in the DDD 20% sale 12 months ago and it is total crap. Y's II is much better.
Personally, I liked the show. Maybe it's because I played the games. Anyways, $14.38 for a 3 disc anime set is hard to pass up.
Old 06-22-05, 09:32 PM
Defunct Account

Discovered several very cheap anime shows on DDD. These are all $5.99, $4.79 with discount. I'm not familiar with most of these, so I can't say if they're any good. Anyone know if there's anything worth ordering in there?

$5.99 or $4.79 with 20% off coupon at DDD:

BIG WARS
HADES PROJECT ZEORYMER-SEPERATION
HADES PROJECT ZEORYMER-EXTINCTION
FOBIA 1
FOBIA 2
DRAGON BALL-PATH TO POWER FEATURE
THE HUMANOID
TALES OF SEDUCTION BY U-JIN
GARAGA
CYBERNETICS GUARDIAN
HARLOCK SAGA
PRIVATE PSYCHO LESSONS 1
PRIVATE PSYCHO LESSON 2
MASK OF ZEGUY
TEACHER'S PET 1
TEACHER'S PET 2
TEACHER'S PET 3
TEACHER'S PET 4
TOKYO BABYLON
BATTLE ARENA TOSHINDEN (UN)
VOLTAGE FIGHTER GOWCAIZER
DESCENDANTS OF DARKNESS-DEVIL'S SONG
DESCENDANTS OF DARKNESS-VAMPIRES LURE
LOVE LESSONS 1
LOVE LESSONS 2
THOSE WHO WALK IN DARKNESS (SE)
SAKURA TAISEN-SUMIRE (UC) ($6.00)

Several Animated Classics of Japanese Literature volumes.

There were a couple of more titles that are listed as preorders (due to price drops) like DNA2 that I didn't list. I also didn't list all the hentai.

Last edited by videophile; 06-22-05 at 09:43 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.