DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   The Aviator $14.99 plus free 'The Outlaw' DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/423936-aviator-%2414-99-plus-free-outlaw-dvd.html)

ylomnstr 05-24-05 07:00 AM

The Aviator $14.99 plus free 'The Outlaw' DVD

Seems like a pretty sweet deal:

http://circuitcity.com/ccd/categoryS...8+20013219&c=1

darkhawk 05-24-05 09:02 AM

The Outlaw is from Madacy. Picture is not that good. If they let you, get the version from Roan Group that's REMASTERED

speedy1961 05-24-05 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by darkhawk
The Outlaw is from Madacy. Picture is not that good. If they let you, get the version from Roan Group that's REMASTERED

Thanks for the tip man!

Geist 05-24-05 01:12 PM

My store was out of stock by noon. They said they only got 15 in, all held behind the counter, and would not be receiving any more.

I found one a copy the bin (marked at $6, btw), but they said it wasn't the "free" version and wouldn't give me it, or a rain check. So I just took the ad to Best Buy and pricematched it, along with MAN ON FIRE and CHAPPELLE'S SHOW. For $6, they lost $50 worth of business.

Man, as much as Best Buy can be annoying, Circuit City's employees are even worse.

So do you get THE OUTLAW free if you order it from CircuitCity.com?

Willh51 05-24-05 02:37 PM

I got the dvd they had a whole box full. It's just a cheap no-name dvd distributer title. It's in a keepcase, but only specifies that it's "digitally mastered," not sure of the OAR (full frame due to its age?) on this one.

naitram 05-24-05 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Geist
My store was out of stock by noon. They said they only got 15 in, all held behind the counter, and would not be receiving any more.

I found one a copy the bin (marked at $6, btw), but they said it wasn't the "free" version and wouldn't give me it, or a rain check. So I just took the ad to Best Buy and pricematched it, along with MAN ON FIRE and CHAPPELLE'S SHOW. For $6, they lost $50 worth of business.

Wow, sounds like a nice place to shop. -ohbfrank-

Jtnguyen12 05-24-05 04:42 PM

Aviator is $9.99 at Nebraska Funiture Mart

Manzana 05-24-05 11:20 PM

The Outlaw at my CC says it was made by "Platinum". Is Platinum the same as Madacy (a bad transfer) or is it the same as The Roan Group (a better transfer)?

raytrade 05-24-05 11:54 PM

There are tons of versions of The Outlaw out as it is a public domain title. You can usually find it for 99 cents/a buck at dollar stores from various distributors, so this offer unfortunately has limited real value.

dvdirv 05-25-05 08:31 AM

My CC only had the Platinum version of THE OUTLAW, but I haven't checked it out yet.

I figured even if the transfer is a dud, a free keep case is worth at least 30-cents! :)

darkhawk 05-25-05 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Geist

Only 15 :whofart: , the sales paper says minimum 25 per store.

darkhawk 05-25-05 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
The Outlaw at my CC says it was made by "Platinum". Is Platinum the same as Madacy (a bad transfer) or is it the same as The Roan Group (a better transfer)?

In stores, they give you the Platinum. At circuitcity.com it shows Madacy

Manzana 05-25-05 09:44 AM

I see. Since there are tons of transfers of The Outlaw, is the Platinum version any good or is it as bad as Madacy and worse than the Roan Group?

The question I have to decide soon is whether The Outlaw (which I've never seen) is watchable and worth $1.01. I bought The Aviator for $13.99 from BBY (with pricematch) and for $15 with The Outlaw at CC, so I have to decide which to keep and return. The Outlaw may be so slow and boring and the transfer on the Platinum DVD so bad, it may not be worth wasting $1.01. Any opinions?

darkhawk 05-25-05 11:11 AM

I bought the Madacy version of The Outlaw about 2 years ago. It's watchable but needs serious clean-up to it, just like Universal's Hell's Angels. The movie is good and is Jane Russell's first movie. I got Platinum version of The Outlaw free, but I'm not going to open it up. I'm going to sell both versions I have to get the Roan Group dvd. The picture and sound is way better. The movie is over 60 years old

JaxComet 05-25-05 07:26 PM

I see. Since there are tons of transfers of The Outlaw, is the Platinum version any good or is it as bad as Madacy and worse than the Roan Group?

The question I have to decide soon is whether The Outlaw (which I've never seen) is watchable and worth $1.01. I bought The Aviator for $13.99 from BBY (with pricematch) and for $15 with The Outlaw at CC, so I have to decide which to keep and return. The Outlaw may be so slow and boring and the transfer on the Platinum DVD so bad, it may not be worth wasting $1.01. Any opinions?

Yikes! Sounds like a lot of work....

zettler 05-25-05 10:03 PM

Tried to order on-line and it does not offer in-store pickup. Too bad...

rexinnih 05-26-05 09:12 AM

Picked up mine on Tuesday after work. They had a box up at the check-out counter with about 3 left in them.

dvdirv 05-26-05 11:27 AM

I watched my OUTLAW (Platinum) last night and thought it a really awful transfer. There are thin horizontal lines in the picture (most notable in the titles) and the black-and-white image looks soft. Let's call it gray and white! Very little contrast.

I could only watch the first 3 minutes. Instead, I put on my Turner Classic Movies copy I made over the air and noticed a vast improvement with sharpness as well as contrast.

I threw out my Platinum OUTLAW and watched the TCM copy instead. It wasn't a total loss--the keep case surely must be worth more than the .01 that CC charged me! :)

QuanTum 05-26-05 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Only 15 :whofart: , the sales paper says minimum 25 per store.

That's because ten employees snatched them up. :whofart:

Manzana 05-27-05 12:00 AM

dvdirv, thanks for the first helpful review of the Platinum edition of The Outlaw I've seen on the entire Internet. If your description is accurate, then this DVD is truly worthless.

Could anyone else who got the Platinum edition of The Outlaw and watched it confirm dvdirv's comments? Since everyone's eyes and opinions are different, it would help me to have 2 matching reviews.

D-Ball 05-27-05 01:21 AM

Could anyone else who got the Platinum edition of The Outlaw and watched it confirm dvdirv's comments? Since everyone's eyes and opinions are different, it would help me to have 2 matching reviews.

It's on par with most other public domain titles which isn't saying much. If you are really interested in the movie, get the Roan Group release. But for free, you can't expect much more.

Manzana 05-27-05 04:56 PM

Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately (or fortunately perhaps) I've never bought or watched a public domain DVD before (that I know of). Therefore, I have no idea what it's like when you say the Platinum release is on a par with other public domain DVDs. I'd appreciate more specifics from anyone about this such as the picture is blurry, the picture is jittery, it's worse than VHS quality, it's about the same as average cable TV quality, or something I can relate to.

I almost bought the movie Tim (with Mel Gibson) by "Platinum" for $5.99 from Best Buy because I really like the movie, but I remember going through a similar search for reviews on its picture quality, and like this time I failed to get any answers beyond "don't expect much", so I passed. Perhaps I should learn always to pass on any title by a no-name studio no matter how cheap it is and not to ask because it seems nobody ever reviews these no-name studio DVDs. Someone once told me "everything by Madacy is crap... no exceptions", and that was very helpful. Nobody has yet made such a statement about Platinum.

Actually I just remembered I saw The Boy in the Plastic Bubble (John Travolta) on DVD which was by some no-name studio (I don't know if it was public domain or not), and that was a very poor quality transfer but tolerable. If The Outlaw isn't any worse than that, then it would be watchable.

This reminds me of something Spock said to McCoy along the lines of "it would be impossible for me to discuss it without a common frame of reference".