DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   deepdiscountdvd.com summer sale? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/420346-deepdiscountdvd-com-summer-sale.html)

ctowner1 04-27-05 05:02 PM

deepdiscountdvd.com summer sale?

Does anyone know when/if www.deepdiscountdvd.com is having their annual (?) 20% off summer sale? I find that at 20% off, their prices are untouchable - has anyone found better?

WillieTheShakes 04-27-05 05:03 PM

Ibtl

ctowner1 04-27-05 05:06 PM

What is "Ibtl"??

acidburnlk 04-27-05 05:10 PM

It's the new summer code for DDD.

Laser Movies 04-27-05 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ctowner1
What is "Ibtl"??

In before the lock. Like this thread will soon be.

tofu 04-27-05 05:11 PM

Welcome to the forum, ctowner1.

These types of threads are one of many-a-dvdtalkers' pet peeves. If you do a proper search (another pet peeve), you'll probably find many, many threads (probably closed) about when/if this sale is going to occur.

Your best bet is to just wait until June or July or whenever it happens.

BTW, Ibtl means I beat the Lock. Happy posting.

island007 04-27-05 05:15 PM

It is a secret sale.

ctowner1 04-27-05 05:17 PM

sorry..I'm new here. I DID do a search under FORUMS for "deepdiscountdvd" and "deepdiscountdvd.com" and "deep discount dvd" and came up with blanks BEFORE I posted.

I also googled ITBL but I'm not quite sure why this would be an IBTL question? Why would such a question be inappropriate?

Is there a FAQ around here which will prevent me from making such similar gaffes again?? (and explaining why THIS was a gaffe??).

Aphex Twin 04-27-05 05:17 PM

Thanks!

Laser Movies 04-27-05 05:20 PM

sorry..I'm new here. I DID do a search under FORUMS for "deepdiscountdvd" and "deepdiscountdvd.com" and "deep discount dvd" and came up with blanks BEFORE I posted.

I also googled ITBL but I'm not quite sure why this would be an IBTL question? Why would such a question be inappropriate?

Is there a FAQ around here which will prevent me from making such similar gaffes again?? (and explaining why THIS was a gaffe??).

I'm sure pilot will let you know what is inappropriate about the thread when it gets locked. In short starting a thread asking about a bargain is not a bargain. I forgot to add the obligatory "nice bargain" comment that is usually posted in these type of threads.

ctowner1 04-27-05 05:31 PM

This is quite puzzling! I'm in a forum labelled "DVD Bargains" and I post a question about a specific sale which would have DVD bargains in them...and it's inappropriate??? I found out about the WINTER sale on an internet search that turned up a discussion board with the codeword - was hoping to find out the same about the summer sale (assuming there is one). Why is it taboo to talk about this in "DVD Bargains"???

FatTony 04-27-05 05:36 PM

This is quite puzzling! I'm in a forum labelled "DVD Bargains" and I post a question about a specific sale which would have DVD bargains in them...and it's inappropriate??? I found out about the WINTER sale on an internet search that turned up a discussion board with the codeword - was hoping to find out the same about the summer sale (assuming there is one). Why is it taboo to talk about this in "DVD Bargains"???

The thing is that you're not actually providing any information about a bargain. You're just asking a question. Questions aren't bargains.

Laser Movies 04-27-05 05:37 PM

Because it is something that is asked almost every week, and there is no definite answer to when it will happen. Also the forum would be cluttered with DDD sale threads and obscuring legitimate real bargain threads. This thread is not a bargain!

Al Padrino 04-27-05 05:40 PM

Could we just put some sort of disclaimer at the top of the forums about this? This specific question is asked at LEAST once a week. Common sense would indicate that if anyone knew when it was, there'd already be a 23-page thread about. Yeesh.

justbarelymovin 04-27-05 05:41 PM

Sheesh. When there is a code in circulation for this sale, it won't be a secret. You won't HAVE to do a search. It'll be the top thread 99% of the time. I wonder... How many times can this thread be made--And HOW many times has it been made? :(

runner001 04-27-05 05:41 PM

To be fair, we do allow threads with questions such as "What's the best price on [DVD Title]".

John Sinnott 04-27-05 05:41 PM

It's not taboo to talk about it. If you have any information, please share it.

The reason this is probably going to be locked is because your thread doesn't contain any information. Believe me, any info on the sale will be posted here as soon as someone knows. If there are no posts, then no one knows when, or even if, the next sale will occur.

ctowner1 04-27-05 05:43 PM

So if and when they have a summer sale, it's OK to post the details?

Why doesn't this site have a FAQ for stuff like this?

Would it be ok to post: "It's my understanding that www.deepdiscountdvd.com has a summer sale every year (well, they had one last year, and they had a winter sale)"? How would I know if this is old news? (as I said, I DID do a site search BEFORE I posted and came up with nothing).

And all this aside, DOES DDD have an annual summer sale? Or was last year the only one they've ever had? Are people expecting one to be announced soon?

Al Padrino 04-27-05 05:47 PM

Trust me, if there was one announced, the thread would not die until well after the sale was over. And yes, most are banking on a summer sale.

ScottyWH 04-27-05 05:49 PM

FWIW, DDD doesn't have "annual" sales in the summer or winter... they have had a few sales over the past year or two and that's it.

Buford T Pusser 04-27-05 05:55 PM

Since they just had the 10 percent off coupon they will probably have a sale in a few months. This is to piss everyone off that took advantage of the 10 percent off sale. That's just good business and the American way.

ctowner1 04-27-05 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Because it is something that is asked almost every week, and there is no definite answer to when it will happen. Also the forum would be cluttered with DDD sale threads and obscuring legitimate real bargain threads. This thread is not a bargain!

SO if this part of the forum is only for posting info on existing bargains, what part of the forum WOULD be appropriate for just asking questions about possible upcoming sales (and not providing information)?

Originally Posted by ScottyWH
FWIW, DDD doesn't have "annual" sales in the summer or winter... they have had a few sales over the past year or two and that's it.

Well..that's EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for when I started the thread! However, it's my understanding that there was a winter '04, Summer '04, and winter '03 sale. Is that incorrrect? If it's true, that would imply that perhaps a pattern has emerged and it WOULD make sense to wait on big DVD purchases in anticipation of a sale.

Can anyone else here confirm DDD's 20% off sales (in terms of when they have occured) over the past few years?

Laser Movies 04-27-05 06:03 PM

Well..that's EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for when I started the thread! However, it's my understanding that there was a winter '04, Summer '04, and winter '03 sale. Is that incorrrect? If it's true, that would imply that perhaps a pattern has emerged and it WOULD make sense to wait on big DVD purchases in anticipation of a sale.

Can anyone else here confirm DDD's 20% off sales (in terms of when they have occured) over the past few years?

That about sums up the pattern so far, but DDD could decide to stop running the sales anytime without saying anything. You will have to wait and see what happens in the future.

Bob330i 04-27-05 06:05 PM

Nope, only DDD knows for sure. Just because they had those three sales in the past doesn't necessarily mean that they will have them in the future. Following DDD for a few years now, the first one came as a pretty nice surprise and now, everyone is expecting one or two a year. I'm sure people will get really upset if they don't have a sale this year. As if DDD's prices aren't good overall. I go there for those items that aren't on release week and/or on sale whether there is a sale or not. I've been lucky enough that when I was looking for those titles, the sale was on or soon thereafter.

CloudVader 04-27-05 06:05 PM

So if and when they have a summer sale, it's OK to post the details?

Why doesn't this site have a FAQ for stuff like this?

Would it be ok to post: "It's my understanding that www.deepdiscountdvd.com has a summer sale every year (well, they had one last year, and they had a winter sale)"? How would I know if this is old news? (as I said, I DID do a site search BEFORE I posted and came up with nothing).

Odd, I did a search and came up with the following from within the last two months alone:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419146

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415910

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412498

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411512

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409741

And those are just since February.

The point everyone's trying to make to you is that it is inappropriate to ask about something that no one has any details on. It's one thing to ask for the best price on something because then you'll potentially have a few replies with links to good prices. But starting a new DDD sale thread just causes more speculation and eyerolling and no one can ever provide any concrete information on it. Sure, they *might* have a sale soon. But none of us knows that, so starting up a new thread each week to ask something that no one knows about is a waste of space. When DDD has a sale, it is usually the most widely-posted-to thread on this forum for weeks. If it's not on the front page of the Bargains forum with 5,000 replies, then they're not having a sale. It's that simple.

Creating a thread to ask a question about discussing the speculation on the possibility that there potentially might be a theoretical sale within a speculative period of time is bad. Okay?

And all this aside, DOES DDD have an annual summer sale? Or was last year the only one they've ever had? Are people expecting one to be announced soon?

Again, these fall within the realm of "No one knows for sure." I really wouldn't press the issue anymore if I were you since some people here have a shorter fuse with these threads than others. Just accept that your search wasn't thorough, it's bad DVDTalk netiquette to ask about DDD sales, and there will be a massive thread about it the second it does happen.