DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   DVD Ads: May 1 - 7 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/420289-dvd-ads-may-1-7-a.html)

cajun_junky 04-29-05 09:51 PM

Looks like National Treasure for me....Thanks for the early prices

aspikes 04-30-05 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by hondo21
See this thread in the Star Wars subforum.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420039

Looks like $11.99 at Best Buy.

Thank you so much for the link! I can't pass this one up even if it is at BB. If anybody knows a cheaper place, please pass it along. :saber:

Centurion 04-30-05 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by aspikes
I can't pass this one up even if it is at BB. If anybody knows a cheaper place, please pass it along. :saber:

Was there a recent boycott against Best Buy that I should know about?

jiggyblau 04-30-05 11:39 AM

Wow, 37.99 for Will and Grace S1? Glad I got mine for 14.99 last week at Costco.

Legolas 04-30-05 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by PublicEnemy#1
The Phantom of the Opera 2 Disc is 22.99 on Best Buy's website and 24.99 on Circuit City's. If BB has the cheapest price looks like I'm ordering off Amazon...

Wow, CH actually beat out a retail store. Their pre-order for both the 1-disc and 2-disc is $19.95.

wolverine1028 04-30-05 03:08 PM

Thanks for the prices. A couple of good bargain deals.

Rob 04-30-05 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Centurion
Was there a recent boycott against Best Buy that I should know about?

No, it's the same "mainstream" boycott that enlightened individuals like to participate in. They're AMD/Mac/Linux users as well. They hate popular music and tv shows, and like to brag about it. Just looking for some attention for being smarter than the average Joe. They'll claim the BB employees are stupid and not trained. I say, so what? If BB has the best price on something, I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, and buy somewhere else for more, because BB has stupid teenage employees. Do your homework before you go there.

BTW, I read they're selling Three's Company Season 1 for $12.99.

Manzana 04-30-05 05:43 PM

Although I haven't seen the Sunday ads yet (you never know what surprises Fry's and Ultimate Electronics will pull), so far it looks like I may have made the right choice to preorder Spaceballs SE and Pocahontas SE from Suncoast for $19.99. I have a bunch of credit from after Christmas to use up there. I hope Suncoast also has Three's Company Season 4 for $29.99, but that's probably wishful thinking. They said they wouldn't know the price until Tuesday on that! That's amazing.

I figured there wouldn't be any good deals on Pocahontas SE. I'm slowly learning that reissues, especially of less popular titles (like Alice in Wonderland SE) don't get special deals. However, a more popular title and first release like Cinderella SE (or Bambi SE) probably will be $15.99 somewhere. The person who posted about the Spaceballs SE being under $10 in a few months is probably right if MGM follows its time-honored tradition of rapidly dropping prices on any of its DVDs I buy. As long as I buy it on Tuesday, as I plan to, I'd expect $10 or less by Christmas. Just call me Mr. Cynic. rotfl

Zodo 04-30-05 06:39 PM

I wish we knew what was on the National Treasure Bonus DVD. And before someone posts that stupid link to the Best Buy web site again, the extras listed on that link are the extras on the main DVD itself, and not the bonus disc.

jgiv 04-30-05 07:46 PM

Anyone else having trouble with Best Buys website? I keep getting the enable cookies screen even though they are enabled.

BiMonSciFiCon 04-30-05 09:01 PM

Thanks for the prices!:thumbsup:

Zodo 05-01-05 08:09 AM

In todays add it says that the National Treasure bonus disc is 15min long...

Doc Moonlight 05-01-05 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
The person who posted about the Spaceballs SE being under $10 in a few months is probably right if MGM follows its time-honored tradition of rapidly dropping prices on any of its DVDs I buy. As long as I buy it on Tuesday, as I plan to, I'd expect $10 or less by Christmas. Just call me Mr. Cynic. rotfl

A month ago I might have agreed, but MGM is now owned by Sony, so who knows what will happen?

Jim 05-01-05 10:39 AM

Fry's will have National Treasure for $13.99 on Tuesday only.

Manzana 05-01-05 05:25 PM

Suncoast says they are giving away a replica of the Declaration of Independence to a limited number of people on Tuesday who buy National Treasure. Does anyone know anything more about this replica?

Given the choice between using up credit at Suncoast and getting the replica vs. a pricematch at Best Buy and getting the 15 minute bonus DVD, which should I choose?

My initial guess is unless the replica from Suncoast is something special, the Best Buy bonus DVD would be the better choice. Of course I'm so bad at guessing the value of future stuff, I'll probably be wrong -- just like the $3 Lord of the Rings EE slipcase I passed on.

BTW, the fact Suncoast is $19.99 vs. Fry's/Best Buy is $13.99 is irrelevant to me in this case. For reasons I won't go into, I effectively discount Suncoast's price by 33% before comparing to other retailers whenever I'm using up my Suncoast after-Christmas credit.

Liquid Death 05-02-05 10:32 AM

If the content of the bonus disc is unique and appeals to you, I'd go for that. I can't imagine a replica of the DoI would be worth much, from a collector's standpoint.

Goldblum 05-02-05 01:13 PM

I think someone said the BB bonus disc is only 15 minutes or so, so use that in your consideration. It's also $3 more than CC, so it's not like the BB bonus disc is "free" in that sense.

Trevor 05-02-05 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Goldblum
I think someone said the BB bonus disc is only 15 minutes or so, so use that in your consideration. It's also $3 more than CC, so it's not like the BB bonus disc is "free" in that sense.

Or only $2 more if you use the coupon on the movie gift cards.

Liquid Death 05-02-05 03:43 PM

From the ads online, it looks like the Star Wars CD/DVD combo will be $11.99 at both Target and Best Buy. CC has $13.99 on the website.

JoeyOhhhh 05-02-05 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
A month ago I might have agreed, but MGM is now owned by Sony, so who knows what will happen?

Spaceballs: The Superbit

I'm pretty disappointed that Spaceballs isn't priced any lower.

eau 05-02-05 04:44 PM

Is the Stars Wars Episode III Sountrack CD/bonus DVD combo a limited run only?

Dabaomb 05-02-05 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Goldblum

you can always pricematch.

aspikes 05-04-05 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by eau
Is the Stars Wars Episode III Sountrack CD/bonus DVD combo a limited run only?

Dont know about if it is a limited run but I just watch the bonus dvd! If you are a big Star Wars fan and have a nice HT system, then by all means pick it up asap. I went ahead and got mine at cough* BB *cough. For 11.99 it is the cheapest I have seen advertised. You may try Walmart to see if they lowered their price below BB ad.

Centurion 05-06-05 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by aspikes
Dont know about if it is a limited run but I just watch the bonus dvd! If you are a big Star Wars fan and have a nice HT system, then by all means pick it up asap. I went ahead and got mine at cough* BB *cough. For 11.99 it is the cheapest I have seen advertised. You may try Walmart to see if they lowered their price below BB ad.

What's in it?
Give us all the juicy details.

Dabaomb 05-06-05 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Centurion
What's in it?
Give us all the juicy details.

DVDTalk.com Review