Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The Life Aquatic 2-disc Criterion $14.99 aft. $5 rebate @ FYE

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Life Aquatic 2-disc Criterion $14.99 aft. $5 rebate @ FYE

http://shop.fye.com/product.aspx?sku=40710846&loc=57625

They have two listings for this title, but this one has the 2-disc artwork, while the other doesn't. $15.00 for a 2-disc Criterion beats the best price DVD Price Search can come up with (DVD Box Office @ $19.16).

I have heard complaints about their rebate reliability (Archway?), but YMMV.
Old 04-26-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will probably pass on this. If you look at the rebate form, item #3 states:

To receive your mail-in-rebate:
Send: ... 3. Original UPC bar code symbol from the package ...

I'm assuming that means you have to cut out the UPC from the cover art. Definitely not worth it to me.
Old 04-26-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Numes
To receive your mail-in-rebate:
Send: ... 3. Original UPC bar code symbol from the package ...

I'm assuming that means you have to cut out the UPC from the cover art. Definitely not worth it to me.
Here we go...
Old 04-26-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SFranke
Here we go...
Some people don't like messing up their cases to save $5. You sound like you don't have a problem with it. People have different preferences... no need to post something condescending.
Old 04-26-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Some people don't like messing up their cases to save $5. You sound like you don't have a problem with it. People have different preferences... no need to post something condescending.
Thank You! My DVD collection is more than just a bunch of movies, it is a collection. If I just wanted the movie, I could obtain the movie by <ahem> other means. I like to own the original DVD, and I don't want to half to ruin it (yes the cover art/case/insert is part of the DVD IMO).

I'm as thrifty as anyone else out there when it comes to finding the best prices on DVD's, but I'm not going sacrifice the condition of the DVD for a "bargain".
Old 04-26-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purposely tear and maim my dvd packages to give them pesonality and make my collection unique.

jk
Old 04-26-05, 10:11 PM

In my experience, FYE always accepts the price sticker off the shrinkwrap for rebates, since it includes a copy of the UPC. So package mutilation shouldn't be necessary here.
Old 04-26-05, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by GHackmann
In my experience, FYE always accepts the price sticker off the shrinkwrap for rebates, since it includes a copy of the UPC. So package mutilation shouldn't be necessary here.
Except that web orders won't necessarily have price stickers on the shrinkwrap.
Old 04-27-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since this is a Disney release, a lot of the times they have an extra UPC on the case over the original UPC. It was like this on Shall We Dance, Ladder 49, and Bambi, because I mailed in the sticker UPC (I too don't like ruining my cases). It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is a sticker UPC instead.

Also, another good FYE find. There is a 10% coupon code available: SOMETHINGTOBE In addition to ordering Life Aquatic, I went ahead and ordered Scrubs at $31.99 which also comes with a $7 rebate. So 31.99+19.99-10%=46.78-12 (rebate)=34.78 for season 1 of Scrubs and Life Aquatic with free shipping.
Old 04-27-05, 02:40 AM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by dcprules
Since this is a Disney release, a lot of the times they have an extra UPC on the case over the original UPC.
Except it's not a Disney release. It's a Criterion release.
Old 04-27-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have found that scanning the UPC, printing it out on glossy paper, and then taping it to an index card works. It looks like the real thing because of the gloss and thickness of the paper.
Old 04-27-05, 06:08 AM

Check this thread for info on FYE rebates. You should still be able to use the upc security sticker if there is one.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390293
Old 04-27-05, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I posted in reference to the hundreds and hundreds of posts regarding FYE rebates and UPCs, not someone's decision to cut the coverart. Nothing condescending about my post: I just don't want to see the thread deteriorate into "You can use the store sales sticker." "But that's not the UPC!" "True, but FYE will accept it." "I don't believe you! I won't get my rebate." "I've done it before. Trust me." "Really?" "Yeah." "Well, has ANYONE ELSE done it before?" Ad absurdum.

Last edited by SFranke; 04-27-05 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 08:51 AM

I posted in reference to the hundreds and hundreds of posts regarding FYE rebates and UPCs, not someone's decision to cut the coverart. Nothing condescending about my post: I just don't want to see the thread deteriorate into "You can use the store sales sticker." "But that's not the UPC!" "True, but FYE will accept it." "I don't believe you! I won't get my rebate." "I've done it before. Trust me." "Really?" "Yeah." "Well, has ANYONE ELSE done it before?" Ad absurdum.
Yeah, but c'mon! It's not like anyone could've understood your vague comment without prior knowledge of those rebates, in which case they wouldn't be asking. All your post did is propagate more discussion about what you were griping about.

If you had posted a link or some info about the rebates, you wouldn't have had to defend your post.
Old 04-27-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by GHackmann

What he said.

I think (but not absolutely sure) that they'll accept the packing list from orders placed on the web.
Old 04-27-05, 09:22 AM

I got it.
Old 04-27-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have the store nearby, just get a price sticker from them. They'd given them to me for rebate purposes.
Old 04-27-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since shipping is about $2 what are the chances the store will have the same price on a pre-order? Anyone tried?
Old 04-27-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If FYE has this kinda deal it'll probably be $14.99 at Best Buy on release day.
Old 04-27-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From $33? Ya think so?
Old 04-27-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wouldn't be a bad deal for a Criterion even without the rebate except they charge sales tax for my state which in addition to shipping eats up the $5. Thanks for posting it anyway.
Old 04-28-05, 12:11 AM

I really dont like mail in rebates. Just not worth the wait to me. I bet someone will have something close to it without the hassle once we get close to release.
Old 04-28-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can we expect prices on this dvd to drop to nothing in the future like Royal Tenenbaums CC?
Old 04-28-05, 04:55 PM

There's a single disk edition and a two-disk set, both being released by Criterion. I'm sure all the rental houses will be getting the single disk set. That edition will drop in price as soon as the rental houses pull that title.

There was only one edition of Chassing Amy and Royal Tenenbums, so the price of those are pretty low on today's used market.
Old 04-28-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ben12
Except it's not a Disney release. It's a Criterion release.
Just like Royal Tennebaums, Criterion did the dvd, but Disney/Buena Vista is distrubuting it. Thats why you can get it for $20 before rebate.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.