DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Bonus 25-minute DVD w/ Lemony Snicket single disc @ Circuit City in-store (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/419887-bonus-25-minute-dvd-w-lemony-snicket-single-disc-%40-circuit-city-store.html)

phraseturner 04-24-05 05:49 PM

Bonus 25-minute DVD w/ Lemony Snicket single disc @ Circuit City in-store

I think I crammed the details into the title, and I didn't see this mentioned in another thread, so...from the sunday paper insert:

Free exclusive 25 minute bonus DVD with behind the scenes footage with purchase while supplies last. Priced @ $14.99.

This text is beside the artwork for the single disc cover. Below all this is text for 2-disc set (@ $29.99)

However, the layout of the ad doesn't specifically indicate that the 23-minute bonus disc is only available with purchase of the single disc version.

Anyone have details? Is the 25 minute featurette already included on disc 2 of the double DVD edition? Is this bonus disc shrinkwrapped to the single disc version?

I ask because I got an order in at CC's website when they had the 2 disc version mispriced @ $19.99 (plus I had a $3 off coupon code), so I'm not sure whether I need to pick up a single disc version in-store in order to get the bonus disc...

If the content is duplicated on disc 2 of the 2-disc set, then I won't worry with it. But if it is exclusive content, not in either the single or double disc versions, then...ugh!

Eric D. 04-24-05 08:01 PM

I have been wondering the same thing as well. I don't want to buy the regular version to get the bonus content if it's already on the collector's set. Any info would be greatly apprecaited!

phraseturner 04-25-05 10:51 PM

Arrrgggh! I received the 2-disc from CC.com this evening, but my DVD player's display doesn't tell the total time of each featurette on the 2nd disc. So, I'm not sure if one of them is 25 minutes or not.

Anyone? Anyone?

guessed 04-26-05 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by phraseturner
Arrrgggh! I received the 2-disc from CC.com this evening, but my DVD player's display doesn't tell the total time of each featurette on the 2nd disc. So, I'm not sure if one of them is 25 minutes or not.

Anyone? Anyone?

Cool, a fellow Nashvillain (sic). Maybe my 2-disc set will arrive today.

bdw418 04-26-05 12:51 PM

While I can't comment on the actual contents of the bonus disc, I can tell you it's sealed inside the single-disc version. The two-disc special edition comes with some kind of book, maybe the one offered at Target?

This is what a salesperson from the media department said when I called. Hope this helps some of you.

phraseturner 04-26-05 02:55 PM

I went to my local CC (Rivergate) this morning and the media manager, in typical useless mode, replied to my question about the content of the bonus disc:

"Not only do I not know, I don't even know how I'd be supposed to know that."

I said that since his company went to the trouble to make this bonus disc "exclusive" to CC, as the media manager of the store, he might have some clue to product's contents...

So, anyway, bonus disc in inside the single disc version's case. Other than the triangle sticker on the front cover, no details as to what the 25minute featurette is. The 2 disc edition comes with the first (I think) book in the series.

Target's single disc version has "The Blank Book" shrinkwrapped as a bonus.

darkhawk 04-26-05 03:05 PM

Went to my CC and they said that their shipment with the bonus disks never arrived.
They had dvd with the triangle in the corner, but no bonus disks.

dvd182 04-26-05 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by bdw418
While I can't comment on the actual contents of the bonus disc, I can tell you it's sealed inside the single-disc version. The two-disc special edition comes with some kind of book, maybe the one offered at Target?

The Target book is The Blank Book, which is essentially a blank journal with the same bindings as the regular books in the series. The Best Buy book shrinkwrapped to the 2-Disc CE's is movie edition (with Carrey on the cover) of The Bad Beginning, the first book in the series. What I found odd about the Best Buy packaging was that the slipcase covered BOTH the movie and the book, making the slipcase not fit properly if the book was not in as well. I'm not sure if Target or CC had similar packagings for the 2-Disc.

bdw418 04-26-05 03:47 PM

Interesting, dvd182. So you'd say the slipcover at BB is deformed, then? Or did they make a slightly larger cover to fit the book?

darmok 04-26-05 03:52 PM

they just made the slipcover "bigger" to slip over the dvd AND book. in other words, the slipcover won't work without the book being "in there" along with the dvd. i think it's the same everywhere else.

bookcase3 04-26-05 03:55 PM

I couldn't find the 2-disc version anywhere, but would be interested in what the packaging looks like, if anyone could post photos. Thanks.

Filmmaker 04-26-05 04:12 PM

Circuit City's packaging is identical (double-wide to fit the book).

Willh51 04-26-05 09:00 PM

If anyone's wondering, the bonus dvd is Filming Sorrowful Scenes, which is a multi angle behind the scenes featurette, and Dire Warnings, which are the trailers. It's 29 minutes total. It's nice to have the trailers and such, but the other thing (two parts, one is in the cave, the other is in the boat with leeches) is just alright. You watch a split screen with four images and can choose whatever audio you want, or listen to a mix of them all. It is kind of cool when they actually do film the scene because you see the rough cut after.

I did see several C.E.'s and my decision not to get it was increased. It's a keepcase and book shrinkwrapped together and awkwardly in a big slipcover with a velcro flat on the front. All the ones I saw were bent and ugly.

cardaway 04-27-05 08:39 AM

Can anybody confirm if the bonus disc extras are on the second disc of the CE or not?

darkhawk 04-27-05 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by cardaway
Can anybody confirm if the bonus disc extras are on the second disc of the CE or not?

It's not the same. Read the comment above yours.

Originally Posted by Willh51
If anyone's wondering, the bonus dvd is Filming Sorrowful Scenes, which is a multi angle behind the scenes featurette, and Dire Warnings, which are the trailers. It's 29 minutes total. It's nice to have the trailers and such, but the other thing (two parts, one is in the cave, the other is in the boat with leeches) is just alright. You watch a split screen with four images and can choose whatever audio you want, or listen to a mix of them all. It is kind of cool when they actually do film the scene because you see the rough cut after.

cardaway 04-27-05 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by darkhawk
It's not the same. Read the comment above yours.

Excuse me? :hscratch:

That post explains what the bonus disc features are, not if they are on the second disc of the CE or not. The only mention of the CE by Willh51 was why he wouldn't be getting the CE, so clearly that post doesn't answer my quesiton. :rolleyes:

I'm specifically interested in the trailers, and I find it annoying that the studio could have only put them on a CC bonus disc and not on the supposed 2 disc "collectors" edition. :mad:

Wouldn't supprise me, it's been done before, hence my quesiton.

darkhawk 04-27-05 11:34 AM

Disk 1
Widescreen 1.85:1 Color (Anamorphic)
ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]
SPANISH: Dolby Digital 5.1
FRENCH: Dolby Digital 5.1
Commentary with Director Brad Silberling
Brad Silberling and the Real Lemony Snicket Commentary
Bad Beginnings: "Building a Bad Actor," "Making the Baudelaire Children Miserable," "Interactive Olaf"
Orphaned Scenes: 11 "Dismal Deletions" and 5 "Obnoxious Outtakes"

Disk 2
A Terrible Tragedy: Alarming Evidence from the Making of the Film (5 Featurettes)
Volume. Frequency. Decibels (3 Featurettes of Sound Designs)
Sinister Special Effects
Gruesome Galleries (3 Still Photo Galleries)

No mention of Trailers on either disk. Unless it's in an easter egg, which than I haven't looked for it.
If you want the Trailers there on the limited CC bonus disk.

The Valeyard 04-27-05 02:27 PM

Featurette Breakdown of Disc 2:

A Terrible Tragedy: Alarming Evidence From The Making Of The Film:

A Woeful World (54:30)
Costumes And Other Suspicious Disguises (16:42)
Violet’s Functional Designs (10:40)
CAUTION! Incredibly Deadly Vipers (8:48)
The Sad Score (13:35)

Volume. Frequency. Decibels.:

The Unsound Sound Designer (30:01)
You Probably Shouldn’t Listen To These -
Tree, Meet House
The Terrible Train

Sinister Special Effects:

An Alarming Conspiracy Involving Sunny (6:20)
An Even More Alarming Conspiracy Involving Sunny (20:20)
The Terrible Fire (5:51)
Trains, Leeches & Hurricanes (9:20)

Gruesome Galleries:

Shadowy Stills
A Woeful World
Costumes and Other Suspicious Disguises

No Filming Sorrowful Scenes or Dire Warnings.

Andrew

Trevor 04-27-05 02:39 PM

So, lovely, if you're a fan/completist and want every feature, you have to buy the single disc and double disc versions.

I guess you could always give the single disc as a gift or sell it.

cardaway 04-27-05 04:18 PM

Thanks to The Valeyard for the complete information.

Did any of the trailers have exclusive footage ala The Incredibles or were they all just various short film clips?