DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon: How to get one X-Files season for $45

Old 04-21-05, 03:48 AM

Amazon: How to get one X-Files season for $45

Hello all, I am relatively new to the forums (I have posted replies a few times), so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. I needed to pick up two seasons (2 and 3) of "The X-Files" to complete my collection. Though I would have liked to get in on the "Fox 50% Off" sale, which would have given me both seasons for ~$85, I went about getting these sets through Amazon for ~$90.

I simply signed up for the Amazon Platinum Visa card, which gave me $30 off of my first purchase. As soon as I was approved (took ~2 minutes), I purchased "The X-Files, Season 2" for $74.99 - $30.00 = $44.99. I also had my parents sign up for a card, so I picked up season 3 for the same price. So my total for both seasons was $44.99 x 2 = $89.98. Once the sets arrive, I could close the Visa account(s) if I desire.

Additionally, because I live in California I am not charged sales tax, and even when using the free ground shipping method (the only option I ever use), my items usually arrive in ~2 days since their distribution center is in a neighboring state.

I know this is not as easy as purchasing everything at once from the FoxStore, but for those of you (and me!) that wanted to pick up only one or two sets, this does not seem like a bad option. Let me know what you think.
Old 04-21-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It requires getting the credit card - which isn't always the easiest thing to do for some people. If it works for you, cool, but it isn't really a "bargain" per se.

Also FYI, the card gives you points for charging with it which lead to subsequent $25 gift certificate codes which Amazon snail mail to you.
Old 04-21-05, 10:23 AM

Not to threadcrap, but this is not a specific deal for X-Files. Signing up for the credit card gets one $30 off anything.
Old 04-21-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

signing up for credit cards and cancelling isn't a good thing for your credit rating.
Old 04-21-05, 02:33 PM
Defunct Account

Opening and cancelling isn't so bad, but having a lot of open accounts can hurt.