http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...536321/dvdtalk
Old 04-01-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice price for some great movies!
Old 04-01-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone should own An Affair to Remember.
Old 04-01-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone who likes overwrought melodrama, that is.
Old 04-01-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't most of these close to that price as it is?
Old 04-01-05, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Aren't most of these close to that price as it is?
Yep, that's the normal price at DDD.
Old 04-01-05, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Yep, that's the normal price at DDD.
No, actually the DDD price on most if not all of these is $10.33.

So the Amazon sale is a better deal if you order over $25 for free shipping.

Or Digital Eyes has them for $9.98, with free shipping over $25. Plus you could also use a $5 off $50 minimum coupon MARCH2005 if you want several of them.
Old 04-01-05, 07:36 PM

I bought the ones I have at Costco when they had 3 or 4-packs. They averaged $6.50 apiece. Some I bought at the Fox online store when they were on sale. I don't think these Amazon prices are that hot. These DVDs MSRPs are $14.98. But they are excellent value even at list price. Their quality is superb and the films are great.
Old 04-01-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Decent prices. I own all but 4 of them but I think I'll hold off for now. This is going to be a big Criterion month for me.

I heartily recommend

Grapes of Wrath
My Darling Clementine

For those sitting on the fence thinking about picking them up.
Old 04-02-05, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by chente
I heartily recommend

Grapes of Wrath
My Darling Clementine
Yes, the Fox Classics seem to be very underrated. My Darling Clementine, in particular, is an incredible bargain. The box proclaims a commentary by a descendent of Wyatt Earp, which is nice, but you'll be surprised (and pleased) to find out that Scott Eyman, a very knowledgeable John Ford biographer, dominates the track, providing all sorts of insight. Throw in the other extras, and a great looking transfer, and you have a Criterion quality DVD for less than $10.

Last edited by legend42; 04-03-05 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-02-05, 01:27 AM
Banned

***A word to Columbia House members: If you're thinking about buying any of these, check out the CH prices first. They have had some great prices on many of these (although free shipping ended this past Monday). For instance, My Darling Clementine was $4.95 (no other purchase required), Song of Bernadette & Mark of Zorro were $5.95, and others were 50% off ($7.48 for most of them). Just thought you might save a few bucks and perhaps use some of them as your "third" selection to qualify for free shipping when they do it again. Great stocking stuffers for lovers of classic movies! Of course, the CH deals are continually fluctuating along with their stock...but I have taken advantage of some better-than-usual deals lately (see the "Club" forum for deals-of-the-day, B1G1 Free, etc....it's where I find out about most of their deals).
Old 04-02-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper
***A word to Columbia House members: If you're thinking about buying any of these, check out the CH prices first. They have had some great prices on many of these (although free shipping ended this past Monday). For instance, My Darling Clementine was $4.95 (no other purchase required), Song of Bernadette & Mark of Zorro were $5.95, and others were 50% off ($7.48 for most of them). Just thought you might save a few bucks and perhaps use some of them as your "third" selection to qualify for free shipping when they do it again. Great stocking stuffers for lovers of classic movies! Of course, the CH deals are continually fluctuating along with their stock...but I have taken advantage of some better-than-usual deals lately (see the "Club" forum for deals-of-the-day, B1G1 Free, etc....it's where I find out about most of their deals).
Sadly, all of the FOX titles have now been removed from Columbia House. We're guessing that they were able to sell out existing stock until 4/1, at which time all titles were removed. There's still hope that an agreement can be reached in the future, but until then, take advantage of any FOX deals that you can. See this thread for any more posted details.
Old 04-02-05, 01:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bhauge
Sadly, all of the FOX titles have now been removed from Columbia House. We're guessing that they were able to sell out existing stock until 4/1, at which time all titles were removed. There's still hope that an agreement can be reached in the future, but until then, take advantage of any FOX deals that you can. See this thread for any more posted details.
Oops! Thanks, bhauge, for the correction. I had read that the Fox titles were disappearing but thought CH had managed to renew their deal with the studio. Glad I picked up the titles I wanted (ordered several My Darling Clementine, Zorro, Twelve O'Clock High, etc.) while they were still available. My apologies for (unintentionally) misleading anyone about their availabilty. I guess the lesson, as always, is to jump on a good deal as soon as you see it...you never know how long it's going to last!

BTW, these are all great movies...and at any price under $10, well worth adding to your collection. Highly recommend How Green Is My Valley, Day The Earth Stood Still, Clementine, Zorro...well, all of them are worth owning...and watching again and again.

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-02-05 at 01:48 AM.