Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - Febuary '05

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - Febuary '05

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just received everything today from my ADV order - only a barely noticeable slice through the bar codes of most of the discs - i guess E. Scissorhands had the day off.
Old 03-06-05, 09:16 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gamelore
My Dirty Pair Flash collection is mutilated. Chunks of cover have been carved from it. I was the first one to post on it and gave pics on the animeondvd forums. Go here or here to talk about/find out what ADV's going to do about this. I emailed ADV, but no response yet.
The pic....
Old 03-06-05, 10:57 PM

I was going to post about the St patty's day sale they are having, i did a search first to make sure it hadnt been posted and found the horror stories.
They have a disclaimer now at the bottom of the sale.

"Products offered through this sale are clearance and close-out items. As such, the bar codes may be reconfigured, replaced or physically altered (including punching or drilling). Some products may be open box. Some products may be delivered without any packaging. ADV warrants title only, and offers no other warranty expressed or implied, as to condition, merchantability, or use of any product. Products sold AS-IS. All sales final.

Product and packaging depicted may differ from stock available at time of shipment. ADV reserves the right to substitute equivalent items"

Kinda shady. I wonder if this is something where they are destroy in field rejects or returns, something along those lines? Kinda like bookstores that rip off the covers of mags and books when they are supposed to be destroyed and not intended for resale.

Ugh, either way, ill pass now.
Old 03-07-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That page is so long, I doubt more than 50% of the people who will buy stuff there even make it to the bottom to see that disclaimer. Seems like ADV is going out of their way to screw with their own customers. Good thing you can still buy their product elsewhere for similar prices without fear of getting damaged product.
Old 03-07-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
An additional warning: because of the slashed barcodes, places like DigitalEyes and probably Blockbuster will not buy these DVDs back used.

On the plus side, they added some items, including more Super Duper Sumos or whatever that show is called...

With that kind of disclaimer, they could send you a disc in an envelope ("Some products may be delivered without any packaging") , or even an entirely different DVD ("ADV reserves the right to substitute equivalent items").

I can see it now: "Well, I know that this guy wanted all six volumes of Angelic Layer, but hey, we ran out, and Super Duper Sumos is also a cartoon on DVD, so what the heck. Slash 'em and send 'em out!"

Even better, they could list the platinum editions of Evangelion, get people to bite, and unload all their overstock of the older versions, because hey, they're "equivalent" right? I know (or hope, at least) that they're not out to totally screw people over, but man, those terms and conditions are pretty hairy.
Old 03-07-05, 02:21 PM
Defunct Account

It could be even worse fujishig, you could order DVDs and they send you VHS.
Old 03-07-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by videophile
It could be even worse fujishig, you could order DVDs and they send you VHS.
I was thinking the exact same thing, especially because their latest sale mixes in VHS copies at around the same prices at the DVD copies (and you can't tell until you click on them, as far as I know...).

Although I haven't bought an off-colored ADV VHS copy in a long, long time...
Old 03-07-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fujishig
An additional warning: because of the slashed barcodes, places like DigitalEyes and probably Blockbuster will not buy these DVDs back used.
Is that there reason for manually slashing everything before it leaves them? What's next, any retailer that is offering a sale on items slash them first to lower their value?
Old 03-07-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They didn't slash them to ruin resale value of used items. They did it so that you don't go return it to Bestbuy and then Bestbuy returns it to them at the (apparently) higher return price. Or so that Bestbuy or some smaller store doesn't buy up a lot of copies themselves just to return them to ADV.
I also think there's some kind of policy that the distributing companies aren't supposed to directly compete with the stores they distribute to, which is why most companies like ADV and Viz charge MSRP from their online stores, even though they could give themselves a huge discount to attract sales. Most of these are older titles that are probably out of retail stores (and consist mainly of returns anyway), but that may be a way to skirt around the issue.

I know, I know, this is a deals thread... but I figure we're starting a new one for this month anyway, right? In which this sale will be mentioned but strongly warned against, I hope.
Old 03-07-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I know, I know, this is a deals thread... but I figure we're starting a new one for this month anyway, right? In which this sale will be mentioned but strongly warned against, I hope.
March thread has been around for awhile. You guys are just bumping the old one up to complain about the adv sale.