Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

With STL dead, where will you shop next?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
View Poll Results: Where will you make most of your purchases now that STL is dead?(Multiple answers OK)
Use a price search engine to buy from lowest priced merchant
37.17%
Amazon.com
14.13%
Best Buy/BestBuy.com
19.33%
Buy.com
1.86%
Circuit City/Circuitcity.com
8.92%
Columbia House/columbiahouse.com
15.99%
DeepDiscountDVD.com
60.59%
DVDSoon.com
3.72%
Wal-Mart/walmart.com
8.18%
Target
9.67%
Other / Not Listed
13.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

With STL dead, where will you shop next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hardly ever went with Amazon in the first place. My orders are usually for one or two discs, and seldom went over $25 to get free shipping. I usually go with BB for big release stuff, and DDD on lesser-profile stuff and catalog titles. Looks like I'll continue this trend throughout the year.
Old 01-24-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Ugh! Thanks for the info, though. I just placed my last STL order ( Ray : LE plus Bambi as a placeholder in case it's cheaper elsewhere).
I'll probably use DDD more often now. Too bad about this, I was a big STL fan.
Old 01-24-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sad day. this was where I made all my purchases, but no more.
Old 01-24-05, 10:49 AM

I guess DDD will be getting most of my business in the future. Amazon's best deals were with Share the Love - have they said why the cancelled it?

I can't see them keeping many faithful shoppers by doing this.
Old 01-24-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll get mine at the cheapest place I consider reputable, most of the time, just as I've always done. That probably means most at DDD (I know others have problems with them, I never have), some DVD Planet, some DVD Empire, some locally, and even some (very rarely, I'm sure, since I pay tax there) at Amazon.
Old 01-24-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Grrrrrr. Didn't know about the discontinuation until now. I recently had shopped quite a bit through Amazon because of STL, but with that gone I'll go back to DDD for certain releases and Columbia House, with its Fun Cash incentive program..
Old 01-24-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even though they do charge shipping (depending on the amount spend) DigitalEyes has delivered quicker than DDD. Big fan!
Old 01-24-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I am pretty disappointed. I could care less about delivery times, so that's not an issue. I purchased a lot of box sets from Amazon with STL + the A9 discount. As someone mentioned before, it was pretty easy to just order from amazon with STL, now I will have to do a lot more hunting before I make purchases.

I think I'll just not buy any box sets until the next DDD 20% off sale. I only have probably 100 box sets to watch anyways

P.S. maybe they'll bring back the $5 off coupon
Old 01-24-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
It is so rare to find the lowest price at Amazon - unless STL was applied - that I can't really justify shopping there. I've had great luck with DeepDiscount, and continue to churn my CH memberships. I'll do very nicely without Amazon, and I'm sure they feel the same about me.
Ditto.
Old 01-24-05, 12:44 PM

I agree with Bill Geiger, Digital Eyes is by far the best online retailer to deal with. Fast shipping, great customer service,great coupons and frequent buyer discounts. So whatever I bought from Amazon with STL (mostly TV on DVD) will now be bought from DE. I used to use DDD but I find Digital Eyes far superior.
Old 01-24-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Frankly, I will buy my DVDs from whichever etailer DVD Price Search shows as being the least expensive -- though I expect at least half of the time it will be DDD that gets my business.
Old 01-24-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kittenwebb5
I agree with Bill Geiger, Digital Eyes is by far the best online retailer to deal with. Fast shipping, great customer service,great coupons and frequent buyer discounts. So whatever I bought from Amazon with STL (mostly TV on DVD) will now be bought from DE. I used to use DDD but I find Digital Eyes far superior.
remember DDD and DigitalEyes are owned by the same company
Old 01-24-05, 01:15 PM

Man am I bummed...I love Amazon and have saved hundreds with STL over the past couple of years...I've bought more TV season box sets with STL that I can count! Amazon STL was the best price going for those, and movie series like Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Perhaps Amazon will lower their regular prices a bit with STL gone so everyone accross the board gets the best price possible. {Not holding my breath...}

I've loved DDD - especially with the occasional 20% off sale. Every once in a blue moon Buy.com has a good deal, but only when free shipping is offered.

These days, I've been holding out for awhile after new movies are released (or new 'special editions' are re-released) at $16 to $18. It seems that it only takes a few months before nearly all titles end up on sale for $7.50 or $10 at Target, Best Buy, or Circuit City.
Old 01-24-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
^^ Same here Rob. I only used STL for box sets and TV series. Couldn't be beat with the free shipping. In the past 9 months I have bought more tv sets than movies. Not sure where to go now.

I also have started to wait on new releases. I used to buy 1 a week. Then they would sit on the shelf before I watched them. I ended up seeing them cheaper later, meanwhile mine is still sitting on my shelf in the plastic wrap. I have done more shopping for previously viewed discs. I've been quite lucky. No major scratches, and most don't use stickers on the disc anymore. I'm going to stick with that route for a while.
Old 01-24-05, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I also have started to wait on new releases. I used to buy 1 a week. Then they would sit on the shelf before I watched them. I ended up seeing them cheaper later, meanwhile mine is still sitting on my shelf in the plastic wrap.
LOL! Same here! Most of my new release purchases just go right on the shelf with the rest of the collection to be watched at some future date. No reason I can't wait a few months now that a pattern has been established of huge price drops fairly soon after the initial marketing push. And nothing annoys me more than finding a better deal 30+ days after a purchase when you can no longer get a price adjustment.

Last edited by Rob052067; 01-24-05 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Biggest joke, I still have Underworld in the shrink wrap from release week. Since then we have seen a price drop and 2 more versions of the film. Same with Matrix: Revolutions. Still in plastic. And I just picked up the Ulitmate Gift set.
Old 01-24-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the first page of this thread I asked if any other online site had a return policy as good as Amazon. That is to say they ship a replacement immediately and you print out a label online to return the defective goods at no cost to you. I take the lack of response to mean that nobody matches them. Am I right?
Old 01-24-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Funny, first the HD DVD titles are announced and suddenly this happens. Coincidence? By the way, A9 discount plus STL are gone. No coupon codes for two years now? Something I missed?
Old 01-24-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mapasu
Funny, first the HD DVD titles are announced and suddenly this happens. Coincidence?
Ummm... yeah. It is.
Old 01-24-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mapasu
Funny, first the HD DVD titles are announced and suddenly this happens. Coincidence? By the way, A9 discount plus STL are gone. No coupon codes for two years now? Something I missed?
A9 is not gone.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 01-24-05 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 07:06 PM

It would be nice if Fry's was in the poll but I understand the limitations of the site.

Fry's is good for the occasional "must have" purchase where you don't want to risk the disc getting loose in the case and you want to watch the movie that same day.

They do a nice amount of "loss leaders". It was definitely the first place I looked when "Lord Of the Rings : Extended Edition" hit the stores.

On the downside.. Their return policy is most of the times more difficult than getting a root canal.
Old 01-24-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JoserJerr
On the downside.. Their return policy is most of the times more difficult than getting a root canal.
I always heard the return/exchange policy was easy (was easy the 2 times I had to exchange).... aside from the hour long line.
Old 01-24-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, as others have said, DDDVD for online cheapness and walmart for release day titles ($13.88).

With STL, I preferred amazon, even if it was a few bucks more expensive, because of 1) excellent CSR, 2) amazon card rewards, and 3) loyalty.

Old 01-24-05, 11:53 PM

I loved STL. I'm lost as to where to buy DVDs now. Probably DDD now *SNIFF*
Old 01-25-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

STL was probably to only way amazon was able to meet/beat release week prices. online i will continue with DDD or DV2 (for tv sets they carry -- ? no HBO?). release week titles from whomever has the lowest (usually BB or target).

kms

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.