Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

What Did You End Up Buying So Far On Black Friday?!?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 11-26-04, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was my first time getting up for BF. Got up at 5:00 A.M. CST, me, my mom, and grandma drove to Best Buy at 5:45 A.M. What a bad idea that was! Got there and there was absolutely no parking, and there was line around the store like 1 1/2 times, +, it wasnt just a single file line, there were 2-4 people in each line, literally! So we said the the heck with that.

Went to Wal-Mart, got there about 6:05 A.M. It actually wasnt that bad. Had to wait in a little line for the $3.88 DVD Section, other that that it was fine, we even got to a open checkout lane, right when we went to the front.

Then we went to Shopko, I say we got there about 7:00 A.M. Got some good deals there, and it wasnt that bad either, worse than usual, but I heard there have been a lot worse BF's there.

Heres what I got from each store, please list what you got at each store, I think it would be cool to see what everyone got this BF.

Wal-Mart:

$3.88 DVD's

National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation
Police Academy
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Shopko

3 For $21

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Kangaroo Jack
Ocean's Eleven

3 For $18

Spaceballs
Terminator
Die Another Day

Van Helsing WS $11.99 (Regular: $19.99)

My Grandma and Mom also got presents for My Cousins, Sister, and me, but I dont know what those are

Last edited by kornboy; 11-26-04 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-26-04, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woke up at 6 and headed over to my local Target, somewhat fearing that the dvd sets I wanted would be gone. But luckily I found parking and passed a few folks to immediate get Buffy Season 7, Family Guy Volume 1, and South Park Season 2. At tht point I was content on leaving but I lingered and asked if there were any more copies of Southpark Season 1. But alas the girl said no. But fate would have it that while I was walking back, a Southpark Season 1 dvd was laying atop some random magazines. Hooray for me (if indeed the dvd was left there unwanted) or too bad for the person who left that there. Anyways, I was back inside my house at 6:30. Not too bad for me this year.

Still I wonder if things got as bad in my BestBuy as in yours, damn two looping lines around the block, that's crazy!!!
Old 11-26-04, 09:08 AM
Banned

ya it basically did, and your in california! It boggles me sometimes, how many people are in omaha, basically, Nebraska has 2 populated citys, Lincoln, and Omaha, rest is either farmland, or small small little towns.. I like omaha though, especially where im at, within a minimum of 5-10 miles from me is a ...

Best Buy
Shopko
Wal-Mart
Super Target
Target
Circuit City
Office Max
Home Depot

All kinds of huge chains. Then you got malls here, 10 miles apart from each other and they have all kinds of stores. And all the restaurants, and fast food chains that are here, and still being built, is insane, you wonder how they can all make it...
Old 11-26-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I stopped by blockbuster at 5:30 where there was a rediculously long line. I decided to head over to Office Max where I waited till 7 am got in got a 200 gb hd that will be $50 ar and a 50 pack of dvdrs that will be $7.99 ar.
Old 11-26-04, 09:12 AM
Banned

What kind of sale did they have at Blockbuster?
Old 11-26-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Most of my Black Friday stuff I did online ahead of time (All at Best Buy: 24 Season 1, Aladdin, and a 51" TV). Actual day of I just went to Target and got South Park Season 2 and Day After Tomorrow for my, Kill Bill V.1 and V.2 for one of my brother's for Christmas).

Target is about 6 minutes away, I got there at 5:45, there were a lot of people (and it was pretty damned cold for Washington) so I was pretty far back, but I had no trouble getting what I wanted, and (I think) could've gotten pretty much anything from the ad. They had plenty of copies of the cheap TV Sets (probably around 50 of each).

Last edited by Ginwen; 11-26-04 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-26-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by kornboy
What kind of sale did they have at Blockbuster?
Yeah, I want to know that too (unless you mean Best Buy).
Old 11-26-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

lol yeah i dont know why i keep saying blockbuster i was doing that with my brother in law to. i meant best buy of course.
Old 11-26-04, 09:24 AM
Banned

i think hes still tired
Old 11-26-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 316 Likes on 209 Posts
Toysrus.com: platinum gameboy advance sp with cartoon network bundle ($79.95), musini magicsensor toy (9.99), and together tunes (19.97). Had to pay $17 shipping, but the baby toys were so marked down, I figured it was worth it.

Staples: 160 Gb hard drive ($40) and netgear wireless g router and pc card kit ($20)

Walmart: Buffy Season 7 ($17.77--Target pricematch)

Circuitcity.com: Aladdin ($12) and pc speakers ($20)

Worth it, but I stayed up late planning where to go and ended up only getting 2 hours of sleep. Night all.
Old 11-26-04, 09:42 AM
Cool New Member

Wal-Mart at 5 am

Just got back and have to say it was pretty fun. Went to Wal-Mart first. The 3.88 DVDs were in the middle aisle near the groceries (up front) and had been place on top of a number of boxes. Interestingly, the biggest crowds seemed to be centered on the DVDs. It looked a little like birds at a feeder. I got:

Vacation
Boiler Room
You've Got Mail
Free Willy
Blade Runner

From there I skipped across the parking lot to EBGames and picked up Chronicles of Riddick on XBOX for 9.99 (great deal!) also got pre-played copies of Max Payne, Splinter Cell, and Tony Hawk for $12 (buy 2 get i free)

Next stop, Target. Found SouthPark Season 1 and 2, but the lines were too long, so I stashed them and will come back later to pick them up. All in all, not a bad day.
Old 11-26-04, 09:47 AM
Banned

Re: Wal-Mart at 5 am

Originally posted by mtmagpie
It looked a little like birds at a feeder.
Or Bee's at a honey comb, lmao, thats how me and my mom described it..
Old 11-26-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't want anything that was on sale, so no go for me.

Kornboy, I went to BB about four years ago, and it was so insane that I parked at Toys R Us-72nd one- (you have to be in Omaha to know what I'm mean-anyone other than kornboy).
Old 11-26-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Normally, I would have skipped the BF crap...but wanted the Kodak 7300 camera...$99 + memory disk + $25 gift card at CC.

Got there about 5:45. Went straight to cameras....there was a line starting. I was 4th. There was four in the case (ad said min of 13). As the guy started to hand them out...the first lady took two. I said something out loud and she shouts her daughter is here and she getting one for her. When the CC guy starts to say that wasn't right, she RUNS, thats right, she waddles as fast as her portly legs would take her. I was pissed, but a group of us waiting laughed our asses off. Fine, if she needs it that badly.

Went to Target. No lines, parking available. PU my copy of Simpsons Season 4 for $17.77.

Ron
Old 11-26-04, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jonpeters
Didn't want anything that was on sale, so no go for me.

Kornboy, I went to BB about four years ago, and it was so insane that I parked at Toys R Us-72nd one- (you have to be in Omaha to know what I'm mean-anyone other than kornboy).

Haha, ya, wow! I didnt go to that one. They had one on 144th & Center next to Hy-Vee for the longest time. Like 2 weeks ago, they just switched locations. There at 168th & Dodge now. New mall called Village Pointe. Pretty nice, none are chain basically, except BB. It's growing too. Whats nice about Village Pointe, the stores arent all in one building. There all over. They got a movie theater too, check it out sometime if your ever back in Omaha jonpeters..
Old 11-26-04, 10:07 AM

Obviously nobody wanted the 17.77 sets at the target i was at, cause they were fully stocked at 6.30 and there was still a line waiting to get in, so i got family guy and simpsons, there were tons of south park and buffy to be had. Obviously people lined up for something else.
Old 11-26-04, 10:16 AM

I just had my cousin pick me up the ELTON JOHN DREAM TICKET set from Best Buy for $29. That's it for me.
Old 11-26-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I price matched like a mofo! I bought all the stuff days ago, took it back today to get a pricematch.

I also got in on the 2 for 25 deal at EBGames:

Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic
Rainbow Six 3 for $9.99
Pac Man Plus/Pac Man World 2
Crimson Skies

Sienfeld both for $35(Price Matched HW Ad)

Pics are worth more than a thousand words

See that last item at the bottom(Game for $13.44) That is the GTA Double Pack for Xbox. She accidentally rang it up $12.99 right after the Will and Grace price match for $12.99 at Best Buy !

Yep, I am one happy camper!
Old 11-26-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hit my local Target and while I got there at 5:40AM, only 15 or so people ahead of me. Got in at 6 on the nose, and I think EVERYONE ahead of me was after the $97 digital camera. I grabbed 3 copies of Man on Fire, 2 of Day After Tomorrow and 2 copies of Family Guy all as Christmas gifts. Huge quantities of each available...all the boxsets has at least 40-50 copies on display. Also grabbed the $28 Cyberhome DVD player.

I also grabbed a few other toys and deals and left in about 90 mins. No angry mobs, things were civil. When I left, cashiers were actually looking for customers to go through their registers...it was eerily quiet at 745AM.

Now the Best Buy near me was another story from the gossip I heard while shopping around..
Old 11-26-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Walked into Best Buy at 11:15. Got in line at 11:25. Left at 12:00. Got everything I wanted:

Mean Girls - $9.99
Virtua Fighter 4 - $9.99
Half-Life Platinum Collection - $9.99
The Sims Deluxe - $4.99
Old 11-26-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to Wal-Mart this morning with my mom. We got there at around 5:00 am, and there were a good many people there of course. The odd thing is that once everything was able to be bought at 6:00 am, we got all of our stuff (the DVDs for me, three bikes for my sister's kids), checked out, and was out the door by 6:05 am, I couldn't believe it. We even parked right in front.

I was in line at BB for about an hour and a half, and I sent my mom to Target for me for the two South Park sets while I was in line. She was in line for me there for about 45 minutes. All in all, we had a very fun morning, woohoo!

BEST BUY:

$9.99
Aladdin - Platinum Edition
Chappelle's Show - Season 1 Uncensored!

$12.99
24 - Season 1
Will & Grace - The Complete 1st Season

TARGET:

$17.99
South Park - The Complete 1st Season
South Park - The Complete 2nd Season

GAMESTOP:

$12.99
Toy Story 2 (This isn't really a BF deal, but I saw it so I picked it up.)

WAL-MART:

$3.88
Murder at 1600
Boiler Room
Dave
American Outlaws
You've Got Mail
Space Cowboys
Pay It Forward
Old 11-26-04, 11:49 AM

$60 in Gift Cards, for $0. No. I won't.

PEACH
Old 11-26-04, 11:53 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Absolutely nothing. Tried to get South Park S3, but they were all out.
Old 11-26-04, 12:10 PM

Went to Circuit City to price match The Simpsons Season 4 (Target Ad) and was told that CC no longer price matches unless its a weekly regular ad.

So I headed to WM and PM there with no problems...
Old 11-26-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got to Target around 5:45 a.m. and there was about 100 peope in front of me. My Target had more in stock of the DVD season sets, but I didn't stick around, though I bought 2 more than I planned on just because ... I COULD! I wound up with Buffy Season 7, Family Guy 1 and 2, and South Park Season 2. And just for giggles, I picked up Garfield.

Waited almost an hour in the Circuit City line, but came away with 17 $5 DVDs and a 250GB hard drive for $80 after MIR.

Missed out on a Brother 4-n-1 printer/copier/scanner/fax at Office Max.

Missed out on the 24 Season 1 DVD set at Best Buy, and the line was huge, so I went to Costco.

I picked up 5 DVD season sets at Costco (Smallville season 2 and 3, West Wing season 2, Gilmore Girls season 1, and Angel seaosn 4), but I went through the line 5 times since the coupon was 1/member/blah blah. I also picked up a Minitek portable DVD w/ 8" LCD screen for $150 (the coupon stated the 7" LCD model was to be sold, but Costco didn't get any of them and substituted the 8" LCD model instead (and it's almost 25% larger in screen size. Woo Hoo!)

Then I went home to unload the stuff. And against my better judgment, I went back out!

At CompUSA, I picked up two 100-packs of 4X DVD-Rs for $20 each (needed to do 2 trips through the registers). Sure hope these DVD-R blanks work, otherwise, I'm taking them back! Also picked up 2 wireless optical mice for $8 each.

At Fry's, I missed out on the Gameboy Advance SP bundle, but picked up a 200GB hard drive for $49 after MIR (will be returning the 250GB HD that I got from Circuit City). Also bought a $5 USB 2.0 8-in-1 memory card reader for $5.

Overheard a Fry's sales dude tell someone that the mob at 6 a.m. was so big that when they let people in, the people were running towards whatever they were wanting to buy, so the store had to limit the number of people inside the store for at least 20 minutes, and would only let people in as other people left the store. It must have been a crazy sight!

At Best Buy I only picked up a couple of $10 DVD: Chappelle's Show Season 1 and Mean Girls (with bonus notebook freebie), and U2's latest CD for $8. I passed on Will & Grace Season 1, and couldn't get 24 Season 1 (sold out).

I couldn't pull the trigger on any of the combo printer/scan/fax/copiers that I saw, so I'll continue to look around. Plus I have tomorrow at Office Depot to pick up something as they have a decent 20% off sale on the combo printers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.