New albertsons shopping event for harry potter DVD

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 10-31-04, 05:19 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Albertsons is having a new shop event where you buy 60 dollars worth of stuff to earn a harry potter dvd (Appears to be the new one) Different products than than the shrek 2, elf event. Better selection like tv dinners and salads and stuff. Event lasts through november.
Old 10-31-04, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Acme participating? Any other details?
Old 11-01-04, 01:09 AM

mmm... tv dinner
Old 11-01-04, 05:02 AM

did anyone try to participate in the current Shrek2/Elf deal?

i have been (trying, at least), and have found it an incredibly frustrating ordeal.

first of all, the items that qualify are highly ambiguous, and 7/10 employees you ask will say "don't know" and walk away, while the other 3 will each tell you something different.

i figured that it would be easy- buy pepsi products, dorrito products, etc., and i'd accumulate the $50 in no time...

unfortunately it hasn't turned out that way- i would buy $30 of items thinking they'd qualify, only to have only $10 in points. when i brought this to the attention of the manager (along with my receipts as proof), he essentially scratched his head and said the computer tallies them up, not him, so there was nothing he could do. unacceptable. i think when the deal is over i'll be giving corporate a call...although i doubt it'll do any good

anyone else have similar frustrations?
sorry for spouting off so much, but i just wanted to give people the heads up that if they do go for this deal, be very careful what you buy, and look at your receipts. it seems to be purposely ambiguous of what qualifies, and the employees won't help you at all.
Old 11-01-04, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by maxinquaye
did anyone try to participate in the current Shrek2/Elf deal?

i have been (trying, at least), and have found it an incredibly frustrating ordeal.

first of all, the items that qualify are highly ambiguous, and 7/10 employees you ask will say "don't know" and walk away, while the other 3 will each tell you something different.

i figured that it would be easy- buy pepsi products, dorrito products, etc., and i'd accumulate the $50 in no time...

unfortunately it hasn't turned out that way- i would buy $30 of items thinking they'd qualify, only to have only $10 in points. when i brought this to the attention of the manager (along with my receipts as proof), he essentially scratched his head and said the computer tallies them up, not him, so there was nothing he could do. unacceptable. i think when the deal is over i'll be giving corporate a call...although i doubt it'll do any good

anyone else have similar frustrations?
sorry for spouting off so much, but i just wanted to give people the heads up that if they do go for this deal, be very careful what you buy, and look at your receipts. it seems to be purposely ambiguous of what qualifies, and the employees won't help you at all.
Yes we had a simmilar problem, in fact we probably wouldn't have tried for the shrek/elf deal but somehow we got 20 of the needed 50 before we even knew about the offer. And so we tried to buy the stuff to get the other $30. We found that some Quaker things counted (granola bars, but cereal didn't).

Even tried asking and they just pointed to the picture.

Hopefully we can get a better list for this coming promo.
Old 11-01-04, 11:22 AM

I also tried to get $100 in purchases for the Shrek 2 or Elf DVD.

I only got to $57.00 and that was by buying quite a few 24-packs of Pepsi.

I even used that little guide that they had that showed what products to buy that would go toward the DVD. Even when you bought something on the guide sometimes it wouldn't count.

Jewel is now trying the same thing to get a free turkey, with the same $100 goal.

I can just say that this was the last time I will even try to get something free.

I will just go and buy the item outright.

I'm not going to go and "pig-out" just to try and get something free.

Just not worth the time and effort. And one month or so is just not enough time to buy the required amount to get the DVD free, unless you have a family or something and spend a lot of money on these products to begin with.

Maybe a better way would be that you get a coupon or points for every dollar amount you spend then when you get to a certain amount you get your choice of something free on a select list of items.
Old 11-01-04, 11:46 AM

I just bought a bunch of diet pepsi and mountain dew. It isn't like I won't drink it all eventually...
But I only went for 50.00, it would be a bit much to try to amass 100.00 worth of soda
Old 11-01-04, 02:17 PM

I have stuffed my trunk with gatorades, sodas and my fridge with orange juice. got my coupons for elf and shrek 2.
Old 11-02-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Getting to $100 was harder than I thought. Over the weekend, I bought 12 bags of chips, tortillas, etc. to get there. Kind of ridiculous...
Old 11-02-04, 05:20 PM
g

My mom liked tostidos salsa so we bought lots of that and we got our coupon yesterday
Old 11-02-04, 10:16 PM

I got to $100 but it took a lot of thought on my part. Employees knew nothing about it. The good thing about this new promotion is they have a checklist on what applies.

I've got tons of chips and Gatorade in the garage and then this new promotion pops up... Good thing it has different items.
Old 11-02-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shrek 2 is like...$14.99 on release day. Not really worth 12+ bags of chips.
Old 11-02-04, 11:34 PM

I think this type of promotion benefits only those who purchase these grocery items in large quantities anyway.

The marketing team who did their homework for this was banking on the catch-phrase "FREE" to get more customers.

I think in the long run you spend more money and gain more weight trying to get something you could just buy from the get-go.
Old 11-03-04, 12:31 AM

At least for me, and I mentioned this offer originally, I used the free $20 gift cards with any new or transferred prescriptions so I filled prescriptions for family and friends and they paid me back the copy and I kept the gift cards. Over the 5 weeks or so, I got about 6 gift cards and spent them on the food items so it was free food for me. It was stupid but it was fun.

I'm doing it still for this new promotion. Only 3 cards are needed this time.

Also, I'm using the $5 off $25 coupons that Albertsons mails out as well (there are 3 or 4 of them per mailling) as well as my standard coupons for those qualifying food items.

For me, it is the hunt and not the prize at the end that is the thrill. I've got issues...

PS. I go to plenty of parties and gatherings so bringing a few bags of chips is always good. Why is it that when people buy junk food, others assume they gain weight? Is it assumed that people don't work out, don't eat in moderation, don't have naturally high metabolisms, etc.?

Last edited by leland; 11-03-04 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-03-04, 02:31 AM
g

orange juice and grapefruit juice isn't junk food either and we spent at least a third of the money on that.
Old 11-17-04, 09:08 PM

Everyone seems to think this is a bad deal, but If your going to eat the stuff seems like a no brainer to me. Got on the Shrek deal and Elf, just picked up my Harry Potter coupon yesterday!
Old 11-17-04, 11:59 PM

i went to a local store near me (Los Angeles) and there was nothing of this deal...nor is it on the website...i guess selected cities only?

Last edited by maxinquaye; 11-18-04 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-18-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I go my free Shrek 2 dvd a couple days ago. It was even widescreen, I was worried that I would have to go through a whole explanation in store to get widescreen. Got my $50 worth pretty easy in Los Angeles. Had to buy a few more packs of diet pepsi than normal, but no big deal. Just a couple bags of chips, and a couple 12 packs of soda every week. Finished it off by volunteering to bring chips and soda to a potluck I was going to. Didn't seem to have any problems getting stuff to count, although somebody said they bought dorritos, is that Frito Lay? I think it had to be Frito Lay chips.

If there is more stuff then I might try this. Don't really want Harry Potter but my gf will for Christmas.
Old 11-18-04, 09:27 PM

I haven't seen anything on this deal.

Where are they doing this? Is there a promo thing somewhere with details?
Old 11-18-04, 09:54 PM

It sounds like it's most Albertsons stores. I think all of them around Seattle and I would guess the pacific nw are doing it. I just earned my HP coupon last week.
Old 11-18-04, 10:02 PM

I'm in the Bay Area. Looks like they did the NW and SoCal. For some reason they just skipped over us.
Old 11-18-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am $6 away from the $60 needed for Harry Potter. Luckily 12pks of Coke are on sale this week. So, a few of those should put me over the top.
Old 11-18-04, 11:22 PM

One tip is to have them match competitor's coupons. For example, they had 24 packs of Coke for $7.99 but Top Foods had them for $4.99 after coupon but the $7.99 applied towards the offer.
Old 11-23-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got my copy this morning with no problems other than the fact that they had yet to put the DVDs out on the shelf and I had to ask someone in customer service for one. Of course he was in the middle of putting the display together. And I was able to get widescreen.
Old 11-23-04, 11:57 PM

Yep, got my widescreen today too. Stopped by at 830am but customer service was closed and they didn't put out any yet so had to come back later.

Asked the clerk if she knew about any future deals and she didn't know...