Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Seinfeld - Season 1 & 2, and 3 - $19.99 .... Price Match it!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Seinfeld - Season 1 & 2, and 3 - $19.99 .... Price Match it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-04, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to OP. Went to Circuit City and had no trouble with the PM. I asked a sales associate if they would honor the price, at which point he looked over the ad. He wasn't sure so he brought someone else over. They looked over the ad together and he said he wasn't 100% sure, but he thought they would honor it. I got both sets and walked up to the counter with the sales associate who helped me earlier. He called his manager, looked at the ad, and said they would honor it. He commented on how good of a deal it was and rang up each set for $17.99 (110% pricematch). I walked out paying $38 after tax for both sets.

-unk
Old 11-27-04, 06:31 PM

I had the same good experience at CC as the above unk. The guy behind me was about to buy the gift pak with the deck of cards and salt and pepper shakers, but I gave him the ad after I was done, and he was very grateful...$40 for the two vs. $100 for salt and pepper shakers...don't think so.

Then I went to BB to try to buy it again, and the young cashier was about to give me BOTH sets for $19.99 (the HV ad isn't worded that clearly, I guess), but then he rung it up as $19.99 each. When I mentioned that that didn't take into account the 110% percent price match (I had had to insist on it at CC also), he called over a manager, who bitchily told me I'd have to deal with this at customer service because they had to call HV to verify...and she gave me the bullcrap about not doing 110% up front, but only after you've bought it and you see it cheaper elsewhere. Bogus. Now I wish the cashier had gone ahead and rung it up as two for $19.99, just cuz I'm mad at their lame asses. (But I'll get over it...and maybe go back to CC to get it right...again.)
Old 11-27-04, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by packaok

Heck, if I was CEO of a smaller establishment who had to compete against the big boys, I would make it a point to slip in a "mistake" or two every once in awhile to make the big boys have to price match and take a loss. I would have done this with the Star Wars Trilogy! I might even go as far as to sell a couple for this price at each of my stores so that the competitors couldn't say that it was a mistake. Sure, it really doesn't hurt a Wal*Mart very much at all to take this kind of loss, but it would be entertaining to sit back and watch...
HA HA! I love passive aggressive anarchy!!
Old 11-27-04, 08:51 PM

I went to my local HV to return a defective PVD, I see their books and grab one and notice that they did not cross out the price, not only that, but there is no signs posted regarding the price error. So instead of getting the book and driving to Wally World for a PM , I end up getting HV to sell them to me for $19.99 each. They were pretty confused and called another store, but they felt they had to honor it. (I always liked HV over BBuster anyways!!) Well thanks to the original poster for this heads up! As one employee was ringing up my sale, the other was removing the books from the racks. Customers were commenting on what a great price that was, this week alone with Walmart's $3.88 discs and this one I have spent some cash but got some great films!
Old 11-27-04, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Returned my copy of Seinfeld Season 1 for $29.99 at BB today. They wouldn't price match the price that the HV ad had, so I went over to Walmart. Manager looked at ad, walked with me to the cashier, and hooked it up! Unfortunately they didn't have Season 3 in stock, but I won't complain. $19.99 for Season 1 is a steal
I love this forum!

I'll try to go back to Walmart before the 30th and hopefully they will have season 3 in stock again.
Old 11-27-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went by my nearest HV and noticed that all the HV books were gone, so I missed out. But I'm still not that keen on the show, so it wasn't as big miss for me.
Old 11-27-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No signs in my HWV about the error, but they had 0 boxes in stock and knew nothing about the price, so I just grabbed a book and used it to PM at CC. Walked away at $37.xx after tax. So sexy. Lots of thanks OP!
Old 11-28-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by DVDriguer
Then I went to BB to try to buy it again, and the young cashier was about to give me BOTH sets for $19.99 (the HV ad isn't worded that clearly, I guess), but then he rung it up as $19.99 each. When I mentioned that that didn't take into account the 110% percent price match (I had had to insist on it at CC also), he called over a manager, who bitchily told me I'd have to deal with this at customer service because they had to call HV to verify...and she gave me the bullcrap about not doing 110% up front, but only after you've bought it and you see it cheaper elsewhere. Bogus. Now I wish the cashier had gone ahead and rung it up as two for $19.99, just cuz I'm mad at their lame asses. (But I'll get over it...and maybe go back to CC to get it right...again.)
The mgr at Best Buy was correct. At the register, the CSR only has the option to PM to a certain price and not give the extra 10%. To get the extra 10% off the difference, you have to go to customer service where there's a function for "Price Match" and you're receipt will specifically say "Price Match" at the top.

For the regular cashiers to give you a 110% PM, they have to manually change the price to $18.99 and they could get into trouble over that.
Old 11-28-04, 03:22 AM

I think i'll hafta try this out, haven't been to a Hollywood Video in years.

and if i'm unable to find the book, i'm still fairly happy with going to Wal-Mart today and getting each set for $27, not as great as this deal but still not bad.
Old 11-28-04, 12:55 PM

I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you're pricematching for 19.99, I think that's a great enough deal that those who are seeking an additional 10% off or trying to use all these coupons are just pathetic. I mean it's great if you can get it to work, but to argue over it (when it's a misprint or since the coupon clearly states "not valid with any other offers") is just a waste of time. I'm shocked because I did the price match and feel lucky to get this price while others are trying to hassle csr for small dsicounts when $19.99 is an awesome deal.

And no, these sets will not be 14.99 in the next 30 days. People be glad you're only paying $19.99 and not $27.99 or $29.99 like you were originally intended to pay.
Old 11-28-04, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Gilgamesh, you get the honorary BBY devil horns for this week!
Oh nos!!!!! They hate me there anyway. I never buy anything from them without PM'ing to someone else. The only thing I haven't been able to pull over yet is a PM to a Costco, otherwise I'd be all up ons 24 Season 3 when it comes out and make 'em PM to $26.99.
Old 11-28-04, 06:30 PM

I had absolutely no problem getting this deal at Best Buy on Friday. Went over to HV and picked up the flier, then over to Best Buy. Went through the checkout and the middle-aged lady at the cash register didn't blink an eye - just started writing up the price match. I'm sorry to admit that the 10% went through my mind but I was getting such a bargain that I didn't care.

She said "You sure are getting a great deal". And you know, I had to agree.
Old 11-28-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Since i dont have a HV near me, I missed out on this deal. But I just got back from Wal-Mart and bought Season 3. It was priced at 34.95, but rang up at $27. Not sure if it was an error, but might be something to keep an eye out for if you miss out on the HV price match, as this is the cheapest Ive seen the sets without the price match.
Old 11-28-04, 08:38 PM

Well this kinda sucks. I ordered from coconuts.com for $37 or so after rebates and it's still in the mail. I likely could have PM'ed at CC, and I found one of the $10 rebate coupons good only at CC that I could have used to get it even cheaper!

Anyone wanna buy the CC rebate coupon? :-).
Old 11-29-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PM it at CC and when you get the order from coconuts return it in store.
Old 11-29-04, 09:13 AM

Finally able to get it at Walmart for $19.99 + tax.
Not sure if it was worth all the hassle to save $10.
Old 11-29-04, 09:22 AM

But I just got back from Wal-Mart and bought Season 3. It was priced at 34.95, but rang up at $27. Not sure if it was an error, but might be something to keep an eye out for if you miss out on the HV price match, as this is the cheapest Ive seen the sets without the price match.

The listed price at my WalMart was $27, so if you can't get the HV deal, this is a good one for $8 more.
Old 12-02-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I failed to notice the HV ad price was good through 11/30. I went in tonight and found the book, went accross the street to WalMart, and the cashier pointed that out. Then I pointed out that it says "Regularly $24.95," so they gave it to me for that. $50 for both is still an amazing price, as the envious cashier (who had already bought his and apparently paid more) noted.

So this deal is not dead, though it is $10 higher than it was for those who didn't procrastinate for a couple days like I did.
Old 12-03-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the deal...PM'd at CC and got both for $17.5/ea.

Hell of a deal!!
Old 12-03-04, 04:39 PM

Cheddarmuff,

how did you get it for so cheaper...i thought the ad expired on 11/30?