DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Seinfeld - Season 1 & 2, and 3 - $19.99 .... Price Match it! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/397159-seinfeld-season-1-2-3-%2419-99-price-match.html)

Chrisedge 11-23-04 12:39 PM

I got in at bb this morning on the deal, I was purchasing over $120 worth of stuff though so maybe they figured...what the heck.

dvd182 11-23-04 12:46 PM

I have 2 HWVs within 2 minutes of each other in my relatively small town, and neither had booklets/ads and looked at me as though I was crazy when I asked for them. Anybody know any alternatives for me to get in on this? Maybe a better scan? Thanks in advance, great deal for those getting in on it.

Cartload 11-23-04 12:54 PM

Picked up a booklet at the HW on S. Cobb Drive in Smyrna, GA and then drove over to the Wal-Mart on Cobb Parkway. The cahsier called the CSR to ask if they price matched HW, she came back, told me they did, and I walked out with each set for $19.99+tax each. They also price matched CompUSA's Harry Potter price.

cubsfan 11-23-04 01:23 PM

Price matched at BB @ 19.99, then used the Madden Coupon for another 20% ..plus the free bonus disc and magazine $34 and change..I love DVD TALK

Lionel_Hutz 11-23-04 01:26 PM

Many thanks to the OP! I went to HV over my lunch break and then went straight to Best Buy and got both Seinfeld DVD sets for $19.99 each, along with two free bonus DVD's.

bmello 11-23-04 01:43 PM

Originally posted by dvd182
Maybe a better scan?
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/1549/HV1.jpg

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/7074/hv2.jpg

Artman 11-23-04 01:46 PM

no go at wallyworld and target, all well.. neither HWV's recieved any Sienfeld DVD's...

But I did get the 20" Aragorn figure on clearance - so it all evens out. :)

ClownFace666 11-23-04 02:01 PM

Am I missing anything really exciting by passing over the big box set?

Anything worth the extra money?

sparta1 11-23-04 02:01 PM

Worked perfectly :) Total time out of my day was 15 minutes. Once funny part the lady at Wallmart kept the HWV ad so she could show her manager. Oh well I was long gone by then :)

Much thanks to the original poster.

brhow 11-23-04 02:17 PM

Worked like a charm in Metro Denver. Picked up an ad book at the Broomfield Hollywood Video, they had plenty, none w/ prices blacked out. Then proceeded to the Westminster BestBuy, and did the pricematch. The lady kind of had an attitude "this particular one always has one w/ me when i pricematch", at one point told me that it would be cheaper to just buy the gift set for $79.99. I quickly pointed out her lack of mathematical skills. She went to have it approved by the manager, which turned into a huddle of 3 or 4 managers discussing the situatuion, studying the ad, holding it up to light, turning it in different directions, etc.... It was pretty amusing to watch. Eventually they decided to go ahead and do it, at which point I made sure to get my 10 percent of the difference as well. This brought my cost down to $18.99 each plus tax. I also got the free bonus disc thrown in, and threw the Enertainment Weekly on for free as well just to spite the attendant who always gives me an attitude. I was worried they would call Hollywood Video, but all worked out well.

It was an easy call to not get the gift set, especially at this price. Personally, I will almost always get the better of 2 editions if it means extra video features and the like (Fight Club, Boogie Nights, etc....) but am not at all swayed by the recent trend of packaging the exact same discs inside of a "collectors pack" along with some cheap nick-nacks at an inflated price. I do not really need a Gollum figurine, Shawshank soundtrack, or Seinfeld salt and Pepper Shakers. No thanks.....

Thanks alot to the original poster, this was a great deal. I don't think this will last too long, so act fast.

Brett

Geminix 11-23-04 02:20 PM

Got Circuit City to match the flyer, she didn't call or anything. Also gave me the extra 10% off, so each set cost 17.99 plus tax :D

The clerk even said she was gonna do the same pricematch for herself, she couldn't believe how low it was :)

Jim 11-23-04 02:22 PM

I got the $19.99 pricematch on Seinfeld Season 3 at the Clairemont Mesa WalMart in San Diego. I was going to PM Home Improvement too, but they already had it for $26.56 so I didn't need to.

dann 11-23-04 02:30 PM

Re: Seinfeld - Season 1 & 2, and 3 - $19.99 .... Price Match it!

Originally posted by Ravenous
But tons were there for harry potter - when one guy said "here are the potters" a couple of 20 yr old looking "kids" screamed.

rotfl

I'm going to hit a Hollywood Video tonight and try to get the flyer. I'll probably try the PM @ Walmart tomorrow.

Michael Corvin 11-23-04 02:56 PM

Originally posted by brhow

It was an easy call to not get the gift set, especially at this price.

I had the gift set ordered at Amazon with STL for $70 and change. At this price, $30 extra dollars for some ketchup and mustard bottles, a deck of cards and a script I'm never gonna read is quite excessive. So I agree, at this price the gift set is a non-issue unless you really want to spend $30 on some Seinfeld knick-knacks.

Cancelled on Amazon and picked em up today at Wal-Mart for $40.

WafflePower 11-23-04 03:02 PM

I took the Circuit City route. Grabbed the HV flyer, went to Circuit City (Mays Landing, NJ) and they price matched it without hesitation. As mentioned earlier, it came to about 17.99 a set. What a great deal!!!

DarkSamurai 11-23-04 03:16 PM

Shame that HV didn't have a comparable price for the gift set listed in that ad...

mgicash 11-23-04 03:22 PM

This is a great deal.....but I already ordered the gift set online for $85 including digital coupon.....can you return online purchases from bb.com to a B&M BB store?

Ravenous 11-23-04 03:44 PM

You guys going to best buy, did you get the free DVD as well, or have to pay for it?

I didnt open my WalMart DVDs cause I wanted to try to get the free one at BB, WM was my backup. My local CC only got season 1 in, no 3, so that was sunk. I thought Id try BB since I was there buying the Iron Maiden DVD and other stuff as gifts. Anyway, they priced matched it but charged for the DVD, I didnt have enough cash and got one set instead. So I got the DVD free and the extra set I bought is "from my aunt to me for christmas but I already had yet she lost the receipt so I have to return it for credit" :D

And your welcome to all the "thank yous", just remember to post (or at least just tell me) when you learn of some great deals :)

Michael Corvin 11-23-04 03:57 PM

Originally posted by mgicash
This is a great deal.....but I already ordered the gift set online for $85 including digital coupon.....can you return online purchases from bb.com to a B&M BB store?
yes.

garrettg 11-23-04 04:43 PM

I had no problem at the Olympia, WA Best Buy. I did have a copy of the ad with me.

(Also got the Nirvana boxset for Target's $27.98 price without any problem.)

Garrett

skyraker 11-23-04 04:48 PM

Went to Wal-Mart close to where I work and after the two clerks looked at the ad from all angles they decided to call HV :(. It was a no go for me. HV informed them that it was a misprint. No matter. Still got another Wal-Mart, a BestBuy and a Circuit City on the way home that I can try.

gameover2k2 11-23-04 05:05 PM

Originally posted by skyraker
Went to Wal-Mart close to where I work and after the two clerks looked at the ad from all angles they decided to call HV :(. It was a no go for me. HV informed them that it was a misprint. No matter. Still got another Wal-Mart, a BestBuy and a Circuit City on the way home that I can try.
try to go to the 24 hours walmart one.. they can't call, i got mind at 7 am in the morning today... three season for $35 and it's spectacular!!!

skyraker 11-23-04 05:23 PM

Thanks for the idea gameover2k2. If BB and CC fail I'll try the other Wal-Mart close to my house on my way to work in the morning. Keeping my fingers crossed.

laserdogg 11-23-04 05:31 PM

Worked like a charm at Best Buy in DSM today. Picked up the HV ad after work and went to BB to try my luck.

No hassles and got a long, low whistle from the manager as he looked the ad over. Also got 2 free copies of the bonus DVD and 2 copies of the magazine. PM'd Harry Potter to CompUSA's 12.99 advertised price as well.

Sweet deal! Thanks to the OP!

bmello 11-23-04 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Ravenous
My local CC only got season 1 in, no 3, so that was sunk.
Same deal at my CC. No problemo at Wallyworld though!