Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Help beating BB's price for Star Trek S2

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-04, 10:55 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help beating BB's price for Star Trek S2

So I picked up Season 2 of Trek from Best Buy last night (That stupid bonus disc! Gotta catch them all!), and I started thinking "Hey jackass - you should have gotten them to price match!"

Well, not having any flyers on hand for walmart and target and so one, I thought I'd ask the peanut gallery - any B&M stores have a price better than the hundred bucks BB was asking?
Old 11-03-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=393978
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=394046
Old 11-03-04, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Cool - frys is the way to go, it would seem, since costco doesnt have a flyer I can go into BB with and say "Hey! Price match me!"
Old 11-03-04, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Best Buy isn't going to pricematch because, as they most likely will see it, that exclusive bonus disc makes their set different from the regular set offered by Fry's, thus disqualifying the BB pricematch policy.

If it works, please let us know. It would actually be worth it to buy it at Best Buy and sell off the bonus disc to get the total cost down to a more reasonable price.
Old 11-03-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by lumberjack
I think Best Buy isn't going to pricematch because, as they most likely will see it, that exclusive bonus disc makes their set different from the regular set offered by Fry's, thus disqualifying the BB pricematch policy.

If it works, please let us know. It would actually be worth it to buy it at Best Buy and sell off the bonus disc to get the total cost down to a more reasonable price.
I'll know in about 20 minutes. They'll have to pricematch the Looney Tunes price, so the trip won't be a total loss, either way.
Old 11-03-04, 01:02 PM

I'm pretty sure it is a store-by-store policy on whether they consider the item different due to the bonus disc. The Chelsea store in New York City price matched my South Park with the bonus disc to a Target add sans bonus. It's one of those YMMV deals...
Old 11-03-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
I was able to price match season 1 with bonus disc with Fry's ad (Mission Viejo, CA store) but another doesn't allow it (Irvine, CA store) because the Fry's ad states "Limit 1 per customer" (which makes no sense).
Old 11-03-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Ginwen
I'll know in about 20 minutes.
No problem matching ST with the bonus disk.

Originally posted by Ginwen
I'll know in about 20 minutes. They'll have to pricematch the Looney Tunes price, so the trip won't be a total loss, either way.
I was wrong on this part--they actually called, and Fry's (Renton WA) said they were out of Looney Tunes, so I got it at Costco for another dollar.

Last edited by Ginwen; 11-03-04 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-03-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

never had a problem pricematching at bestbuy with any of their exclusive editions. it's another thing if it's a big price differential and they decide to call the competitor store to check availability.
Old 11-03-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Usually, the only time you'll have a problem price matching a Best Buy exclusive bonus disc is if it's separate from the main package. If they have to scan in two items for it, then they consider the price a package deal for both, and you're screwed.

If the disc is inside the set, there isn't a problem, since most CS people don't have a clue about what their ad says usually.

I had no problem with Season 1, and I just got back from BB with Season 2 in my hands, once again no problemo.

Last edited by TheKing; 11-03-04 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-03-04, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't have a frys near you, Buy.com has a decent deal. Use this $10 off $75 coupon http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp...73&dcaid=17073

The sets is $90.98-$10= $80.98+ free shipping.
Old 11-04-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by SRGilbert
If you don't have a frys near you, Buy.com has a decent deal. Use this $10 off $75 coupon http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...73&dcaid=17073

The sets is $90.98-$10= $80.98+ free shipping.
Can't get this to work. It says "Discount offer good for the stores/categories/products specified on the coupon only." I guess this set doesn't qualify for the coupon.
Old 11-04-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I.B.T.L.

Please see This Thread and This Thread.
Old 11-04-04, 06:48 PM
Cool New Member

It worked fine at the Best Buy across from the Roseville Galleria (Roseville, CA). Gave the ad to the less-dim-than-usual cashier and got my $20 off.

My question.... Why didn't I just pay full price, then go to customer service, and get the price adjustment PLUS 10%....
Old 11-04-04, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally posted by moocher
Can't get this to work. It says "Discount offer good for the stores/categories/products specified on the coupon only." I guess this set doesn't qualify for the coupon.
Worked fine for me just now. Showed up in my cart the whole way through the order.
Old 11-04-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The Cow
Worked fine for me just now. Showed up in my cart the whole way through the order.
Hmmmm...yes, it shows up in my cart the whole way through the order as well. That is until the final screen when you confirm the order. It then goes back to my cart with the message I posted above.

Don't know what I could be doing wrong. I've tried it several times and it won't actually place the order even though it shows up in the cart with the deduction applied the whole way through.

PS - It really shouldn't work since the coupon specifies computer and electronics only - not DVDs. Congrats to those who get it to work. Guess I'll have to wait on someone to share some love.

Last edited by moocher; 11-04-04 at 09:24 PM.