Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Remember to always grab rain checks @ Target

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember to always grab rain checks @ Target

This weekend I was at Target and decided to look thru the Dvds they had Godfather at $10 normal $13.xx so I was trying to figure out what the percentage was and I figure what the hell it is at least 20% off. I went up to the front register and gave he my slip which she asked " would you like more than one?" I said sure so I got 2. Turned out that it was 28% off which if you read the print it says you can substitute anything in that department for that discount. I was looking to get Arrested Development Season One but they were sold out. Went to another store and they were sold out but had rain checks for 21% off other dvds. So always remember to grab those rain checks!

Now here is the bragging part: I went to the second store and figured I would use the 28% off of Alias Season 3 and Greg the Bunny which were listed at $39.99 and $19.99. Went to the register and the guy didn't read the substition part which I had to point out to him so he rang it up ( at this point I knew he was going to screw something up like only give me one at 28% off). I was not thinking when I left because I never looked at the final price just signed and walked out. When I got to my car I saw the total price was $31.xx for both of these!!!! He screwed up but somehow largely in my favor!! He must have combine the amounts or something I have no idea how he got to that total.
Old 10-25-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not all Target stores give out rainchecks with substitutions.
Old 10-25-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by evitagen
Not all Target stores give out rainchecks with substitutions.
Then I suggest no one go to those stores!
Old 10-25-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
We've had discussions before about Target rainchecks... and the iea of whether it was 'right' to take advantage of the substitutions created a lot of debate.
Old 10-25-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm pretty sure the forum line is not to advertise blatant abuse of Target's raincheck policy.
Old 10-25-04, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
We've had discussions before about Target rainchecks... and the idea of whether it was 'right' to take advantage of the substitutions created a lot of debate.
I received a raincheck for an unrelated item a couple of months ago (for a garage storage rack, priced $8.88, regular $12.99). The raincheck showed I was saving 32% off the price and also had that substitution verbeage on there. I asked a manager what was allowed for the substitution and why it was there. He said they have the policy that way so a person will not leave unhappy. He also said as long as the substituted item is in the same department, the substitution will be allowed. He said that on their in-store shelf tags, there is a three digit prefix number that identifies the number. As long as the three digits match those on the rain check, any item can be subbed. I asked about a storage cabinet I was interested in priced at $69.99. He said he'd be happy to sub it for the smaller rack. I got if for $47.59!

Since the manager told me about the reasoning behind the policy, I think there is NO moral dillema on the substitution whatsoever. I am ALWAYS on the lookout for out-of-stock sale DVDs. The bigger the sales price, the more I can get off on substituting a DVD I want!
Old 10-25-04, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by silentbob007
I'm pretty sure the forum line is not to advertise blatant abuse of Target's raincheck policy.
Why is this "blatant abuse"?
Old 10-25-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I don't see any abuse at all in the scenario as stated. If Target thinks it's abuse, then they can change the phrasing to say 'this item only.'
Now, buying the last five copies of something, getting 5 rainchecks, then returning the first five copies so you can't get rainchecks anymore--*that's* abuse.

I don't go to Target much anymore, but need to remember to keep an eye out for these.
Old 10-25-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Robertwoj
Since the manager told me about the reasoning behind the policy, I think there is NO moral dillema on the substitution whatsoever. I am ALWAYS on the lookout for out-of-stock sale DVDs. The bigger the sales price, the more I can get off on substituting a DVD I want!
I believe that those who do have a problem have one if you ask for a raincheck for something you had no intention of buying, which they liken to lying.
Old 10-25-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's actually the moral dillema and abuse i'm talking about. People began grabbing rainchecks for items they had no intent on ever buying in the first place. That is NOT the purpose of a raincheck. The purpose of a raincheck and the substitution policy is that customers can leave the store happy or content when they couldn't find the item that they wanted. Obtaining rainchecks for the sole purpose of substituting them for other items is outright lying.
Old 10-25-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Remember to always grab rain checks @ Target

Originally posted by teddydogg
I was not thinking when I left because I never looked at the final price just signed and walked out.
Why the hell do people do this?
Old 10-25-04, 01:40 PM

That's actually the moral dillema and abuse i'm talking about. People began grabbing rainchecks for items they had no intent on ever buying in the first place. That is NOT the purpose of a raincheck. The purpose of a raincheck and the substitution policy is that customers can leave the store happy or content when they couldn't find the item that they wanted. Obtaining rainchecks for the sole purpose of substituting them for other items is outright lying.
Let's back up to BEFORE the raincheck. There is an advertized sale going on at Target. The purpose of any sale is to hook people and get them to buy a given product (and, of course, to get them in the store to buy other items). Agreed?

Now, there have been many sales that I took the plunge over and made a purchase when I had no intent of buying otherwise. Was I behaving immorally by buying a sale item then?

What the REAL issue is about the Target raincheck policy (which is similar to EVERY OTHER STORE) is that they have to give them out in the first place!! How can ANY store let themselves run out of sale items??!! When they advertise an item, is it unreasonable to expect it to be in stock? If they correct this all-too-common practice, this morality question would never be discussed. However, being as it is, when their shelf is empty of a sales item, their own policy makes the entire item category on sale. What if they put a huge sign by the customer service desk that says "When an advertised sale item is out of stock, the entire product category will have a price reduction equal to the percent you would have saved off the regular sale item." Would that change your opinion? This is exactly what their policy is!! But, of course, you wouldn't consider buying anything because it isn't moral, right?

As a side question, I also purchased the season 2 DVD set of ST:Voyager for $26.99 from Blockbuster. They had this price in their system for what...2-3 months? Again, I had ZERO interest in it at its typical price rage of $80-$140. Was I acting immoral? Did I have the moral obligation to go the clerk and say "Listen. Your computer has a price error in it. Can you please notify your corporate office to correct the price? After all, your regular price of $129 is much more reasonable when other retailers sell it for $100." Is Blockbuster acting immoral by pricing it so high?
Old 10-25-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Remember to always grab rain checks @ Target

Originally posted by illennium
Why the hell do people do this?
Because they get distracted or could dispute it after the fact.

Last edited by teddydogg; 10-25-04 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-25-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Let's back up to BEFORE the raincheck. There is an advertized sale going on at Target. The purpose of any sale is to hook people and get them to buy a given product (and, of course, to get them in the store to buy other items). Agreed?

Now, there have been many sales that I took the plunge over and made a purchase when I had no intent of buying otherwise. Was I behaving immorally by buying a sale item then?

What the REAL issue is about the Target raincheck policy (which is similar to EVERY OTHER STORE) is that they have to give them out in the first place!! How can ANY store let themselves run out of sale items??!! When they advertise an item, is it unreasonable to expect it to be in stock? If they correct this all-too-common practice, this morality question would never be discussed. However, being as it is, when their shelf is empty of a sales item, their own policy makes the entire item category on sale. What if they put a huge sign by the customer service desk that says "When an advertised sale item is out of stock, the entire product category will have a price reduction equal to the percent you would have saved off the regular sale item." Would that change your opinion? This is exactly what their policy is!! But, of course, you wouldn't consider buying anything because it isn't moral, right?

As a side question, I also purchased the season 2 DVD set of ST:Voyager for $26.99 from Blockbuster. They had this price in their system for what...2-3 months? Again, I had ZERO interest in it at its typical price rage of $80-$140. Was I acting immoral? Did I have the moral obligation to go the clerk and say "Listen. Your computer has a price error in it. Can you please notify your corporate office to correct the price? After all, your regular price of $129 is much more reasonable when other retailers sell it for $100." Is Blockbuster acting immoral by pricing it so high?
Your argument is flawed, as one has nothing to do with the other. Taking advantage of price mistakes has nothing to do with morals. There is no lying or deceit involved. Nor is there when an item is not in stock at a store.
Old 10-25-04, 02:37 PM

Your argument is flawed, as one has nothing to do with the other. Taking advantage of price mistakes has nothing to do with morals. There is no lying or deceit involved. Nor is there when an item is not in stock at a store.
Well, I suppose calling an argument flawed is a good way to end any discussion, but the central point of your posts falls within moral behavior.

That's actually the moral dillema and abuse i'm talking about.
I will concur I moved more towards the general morals rather than addressing the direct point of your post - LYING:

Obtaining rainchecks for the sole purpose of substituting them for other items is outright lying.
So, to address your statement directly, I will simply state the following: I never lied. Period. I followed the rules and regulations of the raincheck as set forth by Target.
Old 10-25-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would go further. People in some threads I have read in some forums have talked about hiding items so that the big discount item appears to be out of stock.

Also seeing an item on sale and deciding the price is great and now you want it is not the same as seeing an item is out of stock and deciding to just get a raincheck to take advantage of the policy they have.

The raincheck system is to try and make sure that when a store runs out the customer will still get that price on that item. If the raincheck system is abused by too many people they will just stop giving rainchecks or limit the rainchecks.

This is not a deal anyway. Strictly YMMV. IMO
Old 10-25-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I suppose calling an argument flawed is a good way to end any discussion, but the central point of your posts falls within moral behavior.

I will concur I moved more towards the general morals rather than addressing the direct point of your post - LYING:

So, to address your statement directly, I will simply state the following: I never lied. Period. I followed the rules and regulations of the raincheck as set forth by Target.
Not really.

The raincheck is designed by Target to give the customer who wanted to buy an item on sale the opportunity to buy it at a later date or get a substitution. Since you did not really want to buy the Dvd's you are abusing the system.

Try asking for a raincheck by telling them you do not really want to item. That you just want to use it to substitute for the real item you want in the department. That would be telling the truth.

Of course since you would not get a raincheck by doing that. No one who abuses this system tells the truth.
Old 10-25-04, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
I would go further. People in some threads I have read in some forums have talked about hiding items so that the big discount item appears to be out of stock.
In my experience, before a rain check is issued, an inventory count is performed. Would this not show up that something is amiss BEFORE they issue the raincheck?

If the raincheck system is abused by too many people they will just stop giving rainchecks or limit the rainchecks.
Perfectly logical. And it is their choice to do so. I'm curious - how do you think Target evaluates 'abuse?' Simply a percentage of rainchecks used towards other items?

Also, one way for Target to address this so-called 'abuse' would be to HAVE PLENTY OF SALE STOCK IN STORE!
Old 10-25-04, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
Try asking for a raincheck by telling them you do not really want to item. That you just want to use it to substitute for the real item you want in the department. That would be telling the truth.
Actually, in my first post for the storage rack, I did just that. I got two rainchecks from the manager of all people - one for the rack I wanted and one for the cabinet I bought. He was more than happy to give it me. I got the smaller rack on the raincheck when it was restocked.
Old 10-25-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my experience, before a rain check is issued, an inventory count is performed. Would this not show up that something is amiss BEFORE they issue the raincheck?

Perfectly logical. And it is their choice to do so. I'm curious - how do you think Target evaluates 'abuse?' Simply a percentage of rainchecks used towards other items?

Also, one way for Target to address this so-called 'abuse' would be to HAVE PLENTY OF SALE STOCK IN STORE!
For those who want to buy them. You do not.

They are trying to help those who wanted to buy an item get that item or something comparable. You are not that customer.

You are just someone who looks for an out of stock in order to get a better deal on something else.
Old 10-25-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this is turning into cheating the retailer (somewhat) ..it may also have just happened this once..and may not be likely to happen again...for the sake of being honest, closing this thread.