Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Trade in 3 dvds for Upcoming Releases at Gamestop B&M

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to say westroads (the mall on 144th st)
Old 11-28-04, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what studios will they take from? If I don't have any to trade in, where can I buy some cheap? I think I read in another thread that WalMart had some for $3.88 but are they the studios that GameStop wants? Is there a list somewhere? My wife would like Mary Poppins and it seems like that is not going to be cheaper than $20 (no rebate at FYE, I guess I could get it for $18 at coconuts.com), so this could be a very good deal.

Also, do you pay sales tax on the movie? The sign I read said you did.

Last edited by billrubin; 11-28-04 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-28-04, 11:54 PM

I traded the following for Spidey 2 today:

Exorcist III
Prince of Darkness (the original release, not the special edition)
Tommy Boy
Old 11-29-04, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally posted by Dabaomb
Theses days 3 DVDs is a good deal due to the low prices of DVDs (Under $6 Bargain DVDs).
That makes for a $18 dollar trade in DVD. Not good.
Old 11-29-04, 12:09 AM

I thought about that too. ...but with what I traded, they were just taking up space. Out of those, I think I paid the most for Prince of Darkness,...which I think I paid roughly $7.50 for.
Considering the time I would have spent trying to sell them, ship them, or getting the $ for them, I figured it was a good deal for me to just get rid of those movies that I didn't watch anymore and get my favorite superhero movie.
Old 11-29-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by The Cow
That makes for a $18 dollar trade in DVD. Not good.
how is that not good? These are movies that you've purchased and no longer want. In most cases, you can't even get $5 for these at EBay. You could get $5 in credit for them at Blockbuster but most new releases are $21.99 there.

Also, a lot of these releases will be $15.99 or so on release day but even if that's the case, I'd rather trade in 3 crap titles that I'd never watch again and get something that I want. Plus, some of these titles may not even be on sale during release week and you'd have to pay $19.99 or more for them.

Additionally, you can get movies even cheaper than $6. Walmart had a lot of $3.88 movies, Best Buy & Circuit City had $4.99 movies this weekend, etc.

I guess to each his own but I think that this is still a decent deal.
Old 11-29-04, 12:30 AM

Because I have nothing better before going to bed, I decided to do some investigating on eBay on what would COULD have happened if I sold those 3 DVDs that I traded in to Gamestop for the Spider-Man 2 DVD.
Here is what I came up with:

Prince of Darkness = $7.51
Tommy Boy = $7.00
Exorcist III = $1.95

These were basically the last eBay sales on NOT NEW DVDs of the titles that I traded in. So roughtly $16.46 + the time to list them on eBay + the waiting for the money + going to the post office during Christmas time. So if I factor in all that, I gladly trade them in to GameStop. Especially since GameStop is between home and work for me. Again, these were just DVDs that were taking up space in my collection.
Old 11-29-04, 02:06 AM

Is this still valid at Gamestop? I have some junk dvds like The Matrix to trade in.
Old 11-29-04, 05:13 AM

Still good as of Saturday anyway..and they even took something that wasn't in their system for me..this is a good deal if u have total junk to unload...
Old 11-29-04, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes this is definitely still valid.
Old 11-29-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I went to my walmart which still had the $3.88 dvds and traded them to BB for I Robot. $12 out the door isn't bad
Old 11-29-04, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by NoirTech
Considering the time I would have spent trying to sell them, ship them, or getting the $ for them, I figured it was a good deal for me to just get rid of those movies that I didn't watch anymore and get my favorite superhero movie.
Very well said.
Old 11-29-04, 09:56 AM

LOL
Sorry about that.
Wrote that right before bed, after a night of drinks and movie watching.
Old 11-29-04, 03:10 PM

Troy is on the list at the local GameStops that I called. However, none of them said Return of the King EE was on the list. Bummer!
Old 11-29-04, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by chsidwel

They only carry the WS versions at this location. They did charge me tax though ($1.20) which I found mildly disturbing...
They almost charged me tax on mine until a manager person there noticed that the guy on the register was not ringing my DVD trade in as Game Bucks,...or whatever they call it. He said if they were not wrong up that way, then tax would apply. The cashier corrected his mistake and I ended up not having to pay taxes.
You might want to ask them about that when you pick up the movie.
Old 11-29-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
No go at my Gamestop
Old 11-29-04, 04:21 PM

The location down here in Jacksonville in Orange Park is actually called Moviestop and its attached to the Gamestop. They had a flyer in the Thanksgiving Day paper detailing ther T's & C's of this trade in offer as well as what they pay for trade ins. I pitched the ad or I'd post a scan.

The other Gamestop stores down here in Jax don't allow you to trade in movies, only this one store that has the Moviestop store attached to it.
Old 11-29-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
Thank you to the original poster of this thread. I stopped by my local Gamestop today & traded in Amityville Horror, The Good Girl, and The Poseidon Adventure for Spider-man 2. I asked them if I could get the Superbit instead & he said that they would only be carrying the widescreen 2 disc special edition. At least they aren't carrying fullscreen!

I asked what other movies they were doing this deal on right now & he said I, Robot, Troy, Dodgeball, Anchorman and maybe one or two others which I can't remember. None are of interest to me but some of you may want them. No Return of the King though! But no tax either!
Old 11-30-04, 12:16 AM

FWIW, my local Blockbuster (Little Rock, AR) is now doing this as well - trade in 3 DVDs for the similar movies listed in the thread. It's not a pre-order offer - you can only do it after the movie you want comes out. I didn't know if it warranted a new thread - if so, somebody go ahead & post it.
Old 11-30-04, 12:35 AM

The guy was a complete moron at my gamestop and it seemed only dodgeball was available... however the hellboy free preview disk from best buy scanned up for hellboy which i found pretty funny and to my advantage
Old 11-30-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by BenitoJuarez
The guy was a complete moron at my gamestop and it seemed only dodgeball was available... however the hellboy free preview disk from best buy scanned up for hellboy which i found pretty funny and to my advantage
Looks like I'm going back for Dodgeball since I have a BB preview disc as well.
Old 12-01-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
Add Troy and Anchorman (regular version) to the previously available Dodgeball and I Robot available free with three trade ins.

In a much less attractive deal, you can also get the Star Wars Trilogy for $29.99 with 3 DVDs.
Old 12-01-04, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by BenitoJuarez
Pretty much the same story at the one of three Gamestops very close to my route to school. Seems like the guy working there didn't know they had the trade in deal and told me to look at the sign myself to see if the dvds I had were eligible. I preordered anyways then went to another Gamestop like a mile away. There, they had plenty of signs not just for Dodgeballl, but for SP2, I Robot, Troy, Anchorman, and probably one or two more I'm forgetting. The guy at this Gamestop also told me Bourne Supremecy is on the list so I'm gonna stop by sometime again to get that. I'm gonna see if I can change my Dodgeball preorder from the first Gamestop to another dvd.
Old 12-01-04, 05:47 AM

I did get my Spidey 2 yesterday here in Hartford, CT area...Thanks to the original poster ..they took 3 kids DVD's I had gotten last year for work(teaching) from Half for about $16 total ..I only wish they had done this w/ Jet Li's Hero as well
Old 12-01-04, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My Gamestop had TONS of signs for all of the new DVD trade-in deals, yet NONE of the 3 employees working had a clue. Even the manager was confused, but eventually figured out what to do. I traded in crap that Blockbuster rejected, so I am quite happy to get a free DVD out of it. I got Dodgeball and I, Robot and plan on going back for more.

Originally posted by NoirTech
Because I have nothing better before going to bed, I decided to do some investigating on eBay on what would COULD have happened if I sold those 3 DVDs that I traded in to Gamestop for the Spider-Man 2 DVD.
Here is what I came up with:

Prince of Darkness = $7.51
Tommy Boy = $7.00
Exorcist III = $1.95

These were basically the last eBay sales on NOT NEW DVDs of the titles that I traded in. So roughtly $16.46 + the time to list them on eBay + the waiting for the money + going to the post office during Christmas time. So if I factor in all that, I gladly trade them in to GameStop.
You completely forgot to factor in the COST to post on Ebay, and the Final Sale fees. One you factor those in, they add up to only $14.89, which is most likely less than or equal to the cost of a new movie, and you got 3 free rentals out of it!

Last edited by kenbenobi; 12-01-04 at 06:59 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.