Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly: Special Edition ($7.50!)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly: Special Edition ($7.50!)

Old 10-21-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corvin, what Wal-mart was this?

Because we will ALL price-match there from now on.
Old 10-21-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Corvin, what Wal-mart was this?

Because we will ALL price-match there from now on.

In any case, it was:
Wal-Mart Store #1897
801 Meacham Road
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
(847) 584-7080

It's like ten minutes from either Woodfield Mall or the DDD B&M. I would have complained at the store, but (1) the cashier was actually pretty cool, and (2) I'm a 20-year-old that looks like three years younger so I never really get taken seriously.
Old 10-21-04, 12:54 PM

Ok, as I stated earlier one of my 2 superwallys would not price match the ad! So, I ask my wife to try the other wally. NO Dice for her either! I finally got tired of hearing about all this mega-great deal and broke down and CH it. With the free shipping it should be around $7 per movie before tax! If anybody cant get there local walmart or CC to PM, may I suggest using the dreaded CH. Just an option for those of us not able to PM.
Old 10-21-04, 12:56 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by alfredog1976
You should have asked to speak to his superior (General Manager of the store, if it wasn't him). That is just plain and simple unprofessional behavior.
Yeah. I would strongly suggest you to contact his district manager and file a complain about his unprofessional behavior. The moment you start accepting such a behavior, they will give you more attitude later.
Old 10-21-04, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Corvin
I would have complained at the store, but (1) the cashier was actually pretty cool, and (2) I'm a 20-year-old that looks like three years younger so I never really get taken seriously.
Age shouldn't have any bearing as to how well you should be treated; a customer is a customer. It's possible that the manager was having a bad day, but his behaviour was still inexcusable. I would take a note of his name and the date of the DVD's purchase for future reference. If you should be unfortunate enough to be subjected to another outburst by him (or anyone on his staff), you may want to get in touch with the district manager and/or regional office and relay your experiences to them.
Old 10-21-04, 12:58 PM
Yug

i'm missing something,

how are posters getting $7.50 dvd price matched for $6.25 with a 110% policy?

$7.50 - 10% is $6.75.
Old 10-21-04, 01:04 PM

Re: i'm missing something,

Originally posted by Yug

$7.50 - 10% is $6.75.
One may buy it at the regular price then go to the service desk and show the ad to refund the pricematch plus 10% of the difference.
Old 10-21-04, 01:09 PM

Re: i'm missing something,

Originally posted by Yug

$7.50 - 10% is $6.75.
Regular price at CC is $20. Target(misprint) sale price is 7.50. 20-7.50=12.50. 12.50X.10=1.25. 7.50-1.25=one heck of a deal 6.25. Or look at it like this. Circuit City advertises that they will price match 110% the difference. The difference here is 12.50. CC adds (10% or .10) to the difference. 12.50+1.25=13.75. Now 20-13.75=6.25. Hope that helps, I just wish my CC had copy of the 2-disc version.
Old 10-21-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked at BB website and saw nothing stating how many of the same item you can PM. I read earlier in this post that a person did 3. I would also like to get 2 or 3 with Christmas just around the corner. My dad and brother would love this DVD.

BTW....my target was out of stock.
Old 10-21-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"They're not satisfied with just screwing the competitor's for $7.50, they want the extra 10% for the pricematch guarantee."

I also heard that Target was pulling their stock because they new they had made a mistake. So rather than waste a trip to Target I figured circuit city would have a copy and they always PM without a problem. I could have cared less about the extra 10%.
Old 10-21-04, 01:48 PM

I got mine at Best Buy for $7.50, the extra 10%, 1.50 w/tax is nothing. And my CC gave me a hard time on past PMs. Still a great deal on a $20 DVÐ.

My Target only has the old version, priced at $7.50. So they corrected it early.
Old 10-21-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess it's just me that has an ethical problem with screwing over Best Buy, CC etc for Target's mistake. The one time I went after a misprint (West Side Story SE for $7.50), I got to Target early on Sunday before they put up disclaimers - the manager would not honor the misprint, but the corporate office sent me a $20 GC after I called and complained.

In any event, my copy from CH should work out to about $5.20, if I can get approved and fulfilled before the current sale ends - in most all cases, CH beats the misprints, so I don't have to waste my time and gas running to 5 different stores and waiting in lines. .

Last edited by NCYankee; 10-22-04 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 02:55 PM

I took a Target ad to my local CC and got it with the 110% difference. Came out to 6.25 +tx. the first cashier said I know that have a cheaper version which is what the ad was for. But I mentioned that the cover is completely different and then the other cashier said yeah. She remembered that it was a close-up of his face on a brown cover. And the only reason she knew was because she had done the same match earlier with approval.
Old 10-21-04, 02:56 PM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
I didn't have a problem at all.

The cute girl at Best Buy price matched GBU, Tom and Jerry, and X-Men Legends.
Old 10-21-04, 04:54 PM
Yug

Re: Re: i'm missing something,

Originally posted by aspikes
Regular price at CC is $20. Target(misprint) sale price is 7.50. 20-7.50=12.50. 12.50X.10=1.25. 7.50-1.25=one heck of a deal 6.25. Or look at it like this. Circuit City advertises that they will price match 110% the difference. The difference here is 12.50. CC adds (10% or .10) to the difference. 12.50+1.25=13.75. Now 20-13.75=6.25. Hope that helps, I just wish my CC had copy of the 2-disc version.
Thank you for the explanation.
Old 10-21-04, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Corvin
I took the DVD to the cashier and he, naturally, called for the manager. All pissed off like, the manager comes over, checks out the ad, checks the date, then tells the cashier to do it. Then he looks at me and says, "I don't know how they're doing this, but next time I'd go to Target if I were you. You just cost me fourteen dollars." Then he kind of slams the DVD on the counter and walks away.
You cost him fourteen dollars? Was he Sam Walton? Walmart is billion dollar company, known for not paying employees well. I never understand why anyone would get so angry over a price match. Why even offer price matches if you don't accept them if they're substantial?
Old 10-21-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got mine today with absolutely no hassles. Sometimes it pays to work at Best Buy with cute cashiers who don't bat an eye at my pricematching ways.

K
Old 10-22-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Well, it was PRICE MATCH DENIED for me. The Best Buy employee's smile, along with an "Of course we'll price match." response, quickly turned to a frown with bulging eyes when I showed her the Target flyer. Fifteen minutes passed with an actual team of managers and customer service reps gathered to discuss the situation, then check the Target flyer, then check the DVD cover, then check the Target flyer again, then gather and discuss some more. I could just imagine the conversation going something like, "What can we do to get this guy out of the store???"

Finally - their big excuse? "Target is not one of our affiliated stores. It'll be easier to just go to Target rather than pricematch here." I agree that stores need to stop saying they have a pricematch policy if they really don't. I would respect them more if everyone just stuck to their own prices and stopped this "Of course we'll price match." BS.
Old 10-22-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

rennervision: I'd call corporate or send a letter. What's the point of a pricematch policy(or rather pricematch guarantee) if they honor it when they feel like it. That's total BS. They shoulg know that there are going to be deals of this magnitude(or mistakes). If they would have called Target and received "We don't have that in stock." I would understand not honoring even though the pricematch guarantee states advertisement not we'll call and make an excuse to get out of it.

"In any event, my copy from CH should work out to about $5.20, if I can get approved and fulfilled before the current sale ends - in most all cases, CH beats the misprints, so I don't have to waste my time and gas running to 5 different stores and waiting in lines. ."

And I am soooo sick of people posting this. I've heard it dozens and dozens of times and frankly don't give a rip. Everyone knows about CH and thier prices. If you don't like the HUNT of getting a good deal then good for you but I know a great deal of others that do. Plus I'd rather waste 2 minutes PM'ing then wasting hours on CH. Congrats to you but this thread is about the Target ad and PM'ing.
Old 10-22-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by C_Fletch

And I am soooo sick of people posting this. I've heard it dozens and dozens of times and frankly don't give a rip. Everyone knows about CH and thier prices. If you don't like the HUNT of getting a good deal then good for you but I know a great deal of others that do. Plus I'd rather waste 2 minutes PM'ing then wasting hours on CH. Congrats to you but this thread is about the Target ad and PM'ing.
And I am soooo sick of people bragging about having ripped off companies such as BB and CC on illegitimate price matches, then complaining when someone mentions CH. True, it's not an illegal activity, but it is relying on the incompetence of the employees who don't catch the misprint allowing you to get away with it. Don't call it a "hunt" when it is a "con". I would rather get my DVDs through legitimate channels than have to pull a fast one on some unsuspecting BB cashier - but then, as I said, that is just me.

Last edited by NCYankee; 10-22-04 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-22-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine at CC not problem!
Old 10-22-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NCYankee
And I am soooo sick of people bragging about having ripped off companies such as BB and CC on illegitimate price matches. True, it's not an illegal activity, but it is relying on the incompetence of the employees who don't catch the misprint allowing you to get away with it. Don't call it a "hunt" when it is a "con". I would rather get my DVDs through legitimate channels than have to pull a fast one on some unsuspecting BB cashier - but then, as I said, that is just me.
"My F'n hero." ~Mr. White
Old 10-22-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"illegitimate price matches"

What a joke. Are you the god that determines what is and is not legitmate? If a company post signs in every cornor of the store braggin about their wonderful price matching policy am I just to pretend it doesn't exist? Give me a break. Just because you have decided it's illegitimate does not make it so.

Oh...anyone can post "I got a better price at CH...cool" because they are cheaper for any DVD, so get over it.

"True, it's not an illegal activity, but it is relying on the incompetence of the employees who don't catch the misprint allowing you to get away with it."

How is it a misprint? Did you also decide this for everyone?

A pricematch is exactly what it says - a match on a competitors' advertised price. Nothing more nothing less.
Old 10-22-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally posted by C_Fletch
"illegitimate price matches"

What a joke. Are you the god that determines what is and is not legitmate?
A pricematch is exactly what it says - a match on a competitors' advertised price. Nothing more nothing less.
Right on, brother
Old 10-22-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Elk Grove Walmart, eh?

About a half hour from my house...
won't be wroth a price match, but it'll be worth it to see Manager Scrooge.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.