DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   BlockBuster - Get $8 minimum on October 3rd (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/386606-blockbuster-get-%248-minimum-october-3rd.html)

Gizmo 09-21-04 02:40 PM

BlockBuster - Get $8 minimum on DVD Trade-ins starting October 3rd

Hey all. Just got notice that starting October 3rd till November 11th, you will get $8 minimum for DVDs you trade in instead of the normal $5.

marty888 09-21-04 02:56 PM

Oh - I thought they were raising their hourly minimim wage.

(Actually, I've got a few dogs sitting around that I'd give up for $8 store credit - have to check it out.)

Stunna-88 09-21-04 03:00 PM

Nice, I've got a bunch of stuff to trade in.

Mursilis 09-21-04 03:23 PM

How is this $8 given - cash, store credit, . . . ? Thanks.

marty888 09-21-04 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Mursilis
How is this $8 given - cash, store credit, . . . ? Thanks.
Store credit, good for rentals and/or purchases.

gbub 09-21-04 03:29 PM

I must have gone to the wrong BBV the first time. A couple months ago I took in some DVDs. They scanned each one and each popped up at a different price. Some were like $4.04 and others were $6 and change. They ended up totaling a couple bucks less than what I had expected to get, but I took it anyways because the sign said "at least $5 on most DVDs".

$8 could make some rental deals. Right up the road is a Walmart. Buy a $5.50 DVD, trade it in at BBV and essentially get 2 rentals for ~$6 with tax.

OldBoy 09-21-04 03:33 PM

And what do they base the DVD on? like do they check it thoroughly to see it is in good shape? and does it matter what the title is? and what if it is missing an insert?

Myster X 09-21-04 03:44 PM

cool! I can buy Dawn of the Dead for a cheapo price.

eau 09-21-04 03:53 PM

Are the DVDs from the Walmart $5.50 bin eligible? :)

dick_grayson 09-21-04 03:56 PM

can someone explain how this works again? I asked someone at bb about it and they told me to "step off." Actually they said they weren't sure and couldn't find a manager.

the narrator 09-21-04 03:58 PM

do you have to have a blockbuster membership to trade in there?

island007 09-21-04 04:03 PM

How long is the store credit good?

conscience 09-21-04 04:31 PM

wow. $8 isn't bad.

---

You have to have a membership, and you have to sign a trade agreement basically saying that the stuff you brought in is not bootlegged, stolen, etc.

You take in your dvds and they scan them. You get atleast 5 dollars (usually the five dollars ones are dvds that they either have a lot of or no one will buy etc.)

They take almost any dvd. They take PVD's, Wal-mart etc. Don't have any dollar store dvds to try so maybe someone else has.

I have done this three times and the first two times the employees looked at the discs for scratches. The third time I did it, a different guy (I think he was a manager cause he was telling all the employees what to do) just scanned the dvds and gave me ~$90 store credit. Didn't even look at them but they were all legit.

I remember the employee telling me the store credit is good for life. And you can keep the card to put more credit on when you trade again.

gbub 09-21-04 04:57 PM

I just had them put the credit on my account, no card to keep track of. Two of the DVDs didn't have inserts, but one was a PVD. Didn't hesitate on either. Just checked that the DVDs were inside the case. I think you can get away with some pretty scratched up discs as they have their own scratch removing machines now.

The one irritation is you have to have the person who opened the account present the first time (spouse, parents). This was annoying because my wife was visiting family at the time so I had to do a new membership.

retihsuhnt 09-21-04 05:37 PM

Thanks OP for the information.

But damn if I wasnt about to go into BBV today and 'trade in' four (4) titles for the minimum of $20. Now Im waiting another 11 days so that I can get the extra $12.

Ruderic 09-21-04 05:55 PM

Will all Blockbusters follow this criteria?

Miami Joe 09-21-04 05:58 PM

I've been taking those junk free dvd's I get for buying a pizza from Papa Johns... those have been netting a cool $5 each time.

MasterCXtreme 09-21-04 06:00 PM

I wish I would've known this last week. I traded in 5 cheap-o-dvd's for Clerks X. Not bad considering I couldn't sell them anyway. But I do have some left, so thanks for the heads up!

darkside 09-21-04 06:01 PM

I'll be ready. This might be a way to get rid of some DVDs I don't watch anymore and pay for my Nintendo DS.

abintra 09-21-04 06:02 PM

How much would Shawshank bring? I don't think the old release would sell for $8 anymore so might trade that in.

Quake1028 09-21-04 06:30 PM

So you definitely get $8 for ANY dvd? Because I have some to trade in that I couldn't sell for $8 on any planet.

abintra 09-21-04 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Miami Joe
I've been taking those junk free dvd's I get for buying a pizza from Papa Johns... those have been netting a cool $5 each time.
They don't require titles to have a case with a UPC atleast?

acidburnlk 09-21-04 06:39 PM

The Blockbuster here in San Jose does not take DVD's yet and a girl working there told me that they may start to do it soon. Anyone know if there are around San Jose that actually do the DVD trade-ins as of right now?

Jah-Wren Ryel 09-21-04 08:50 PM

If you take the credit on your account instead of a gift card, chances are you can only use that credit at that same store. I've run into that with credit from other problems at BBV.

Dabaomb 09-21-04 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
If you take the credit on your account instead of a gift card, chances are you can only use that credit at that same store. I've run into that with credit from other problems at BBV.
the way around this is to buy a gift card with your store credit.

To Gizmo, this is a GREAT deal. I was planning on trading in some of my stinkers for $5 but $8 credit I'll trade in even more.

This is good for Blockbuster's misprices and their buy 3 for $25 pre-viewed deals or $14.99 unlimited plans, etc.