Reload this Page >

Best Price for Lost in Space Season 2, Part 1

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 09-13-04, 11:52 AM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost in Space was only in the Best Buy ad this week ($29.99) and I checked the CC website ($34.99).

I was wondering if anyone had any other prices, from Costco or any other retailer.

Thanks
Old 09-13-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are breaking Lost in Space seasons up into different parts now? That's dumb. I wonder why they decided to do that...
Old 09-13-04, 08:59 PM

Best Price is at Amazon...$27.99 + Free Ship
Old 09-14-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe its $29.99 this week at CC.
Old 09-14-04, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They think the lower per-unit price will increase impulse purchases. So, rather than just reduce the price, they halved the number of episodes -- and then they sent out the PR droids to tell us how they would have to give up on releasing any more seasons if the second season didn't sell well. Aren't monopolies the greatest? Their superpower is the ability to ignore the laws of supply and demand.
Old 09-14-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
They think the lower per-unit price will increase impulse purchases. So, rather than just reduce the price, they halved the number of episodes -- and then they sent out the PR droids to tell us how they would have to give up on releasing any more seasons if the second season didn't sell well. Aren't monopolies the greatest? Their superpower is the ability to ignore the laws of supply and demand.
I don't particularly care for their decision, but if it means that they are more likely to release the ENTIRE series, then I'm happy with it.

By splitting up the season into 2 parts, they can gauge how many of part 2 to release for that season. That's gotta be beneficial from a cost perspective. And if they can contain costs (by reducing unsold inventory) then they'll have more incentive to continue.

full seasons, split seasons, doesn't matter to me... just give me my LIS!
Old 09-14-04, 02:36 PM

Circuit City is selling this for $29.99 even though it was recently on their website selling for $34.99.
Old 09-14-04, 03:34 PM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
Originally posted by sracer
I don't particularly care for their decision, but if it means that they are more likely to release the ENTIRE series, then I'm happy with it.

By splitting up the season into 2 parts, they can gauge how many of part 2 to release for that season. That's gotta be beneficial from a cost perspective. And if they can contain costs (by reducing unsold inventory) then they'll have more incentive to continue.

full seasons, split seasons, doesn't matter to me... just give me my LIS!

I agree with you. I'll take them however they want to release 'em. I would prefer a full season, but at least these aren't each priced like a full season.

I believe that there are only three seaons total, so why would they not release the last season. It just seems like a bad business move to me to stop one season short of the end.

I doubt that'll happen though, we'll probably have to buy Season 3 Parts 1 & 2 as well.
Old 09-14-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by JEStinson3
I agree with you. I'll take them however they want to release 'em. I would prefer a full season, but at least these aren't each priced like a full season.

I believe that there are only three seaons total, so why would they not release the last season. It just seems like a bad business move to me to stop one season short of the end.

I doubt that'll happen though, we'll probably have to buy Season 3 Parts 1 & 2 as well.
Yes, there are 3 seasons. From what I understand, season 1 didn't sell as well as Fox had expected. This gives me reason to believe that Fox is hedging their bets, but honestly wanting to release all 3 seasons.

It make sense to me that they just want to produce enough for the fans who will buy them. I don't mind if that is their reasoning, and it may actually be a new model for how TV sets are released. Anything to increase the probability that full series are released (at a reasonable cost) is a good thing.
Old 09-14-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today at my Costco I saw this priced for $24.99 plus tax.
Old 09-16-04, 12:33 AM

The above reasons are interesting...but how bout the fact that the seasons back in the olden days had about 10 more episodes per year (about 30) than shows do today (about 20)...and about twice as many or more for most of the shows that originated on cable (ie: Sopranos; Sex In the City; Monk; etc.). If the studio can make a better profit by splitting up the seasons on the older shows, perhaps it will encourage even more releases.