Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Bestbuy: 20% off DVD coupon in Madden coupon book

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally went in to check my local store and they will only give it to you with a video game purchase so no luck for me.
Old 09-21-04, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used the 20% DVD coupon for the SW set today. The dude scanned it no problems, $34.39+tax to OP!
Old 09-21-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by stinkeye
Used the 20% DVD coupon for the SW set today. The dude scanned it no problems, $34.39+tax to OP!
And I used it for Mr. Show Season 4. I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE that coupon!
Old 09-21-04, 01:36 PM

After much arguing & finally getting them to scan the coupon, the Little Rock BB let me use it. But the manager & cashier insisted that since the coupon had expired, it wouldn't work. So if you're having problems, try to talk them into accepting it if it scans into the system.

The irony is my friend, (who I gave the coupon to), made it through without any problems at a different cashier.
Old 09-21-04, 02:11 PM

what do these books look like. I was at best buy and there were a ton of the Best Buy & GAMEPRO magazine (magazine size) that had in the front 'Madden NFL 2005'., and '$-saving coupons inside', but i don't see the 20% off. Just a bunch of $5 off to various games. I'm assuming there is a different flyer type thing that was for if you bought Madden. There was also a Madden 2005 strategy guide for sale for like 15$ in plastic wrap, but I'm assuming that is not it either.
Old 09-21-04, 02:27 PM

tublecane - there's a photo of one on page 2 of this thread. It's a small square booklet about 6" x 6" - black & white glossy cover. And the DVD coupon is found close to the end of the booklet.
Old 09-21-04, 04:04 PM

wtf? I went to best buy with a 20% coupon to buy 2 SW Trilogies (One for me, one for my brother) and to get Dogma: SE, and they would only take off one set because "The set has 3 dvds in it". I had to go to the manager, and he said the same thing. What bullshit.
Old 09-21-04, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by surfingelectrod
wtf? I went to best buy with a 20% coupon to buy 2 SW Trilogies (One for me, one for my brother) and to get Dogma: SE, and they would only take off one set because "The set has 3 dvds in it". I had to go to the manager, and he said the same thing. What bullshit.
Actually, according to their logic, you shouldn't have been able to use the coupon at all because it has 4 DVDs, not 3. Man, how frustrating. I was pretty pissed off after my debate w/the manager myself.
Old 09-21-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Even more aggrivating for me was when the cashier scanned the coupon and the discounted price came up on the register. She then changed it back and informed me I couldn't use the coupon!

Instead of getting into it I just had her price-match an ad I brought along for back-up.

She also mentioned it wasn't good for sale items, but then she said I could use it for the CD I was getting (Which was on SALE!!) Very frustrating....

Last edited by Artman; 09-21-04 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-21-04, 05:15 PM

I used one today for Star Wars no problem. Shame I don't have any more of those booklets.
Old 09-21-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used it also....no problem at all. I still have 2 coupons left....only had 3
Old 09-21-04, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by stinkeye
No problem for me either. I even got the so-called "limited" Star Wars Insider. There was a whole rack full of them....
Old 09-21-04, 07:21 PM

Well it didn't go so well for me. The dirtly slut son of a bitch whore mother fucker said "oh, it says its expired so its expired" and I;m like WTF biotch?? So I grabbed an AD went to circuit City and pricematched.

I HATE BEST BUY!!!
Old 09-21-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What we need is a big button, like they make the employees wear. But instead of some stupid corporate slogan, it should say something like, "Quit making up excuses and just honor the damn coupon." Or maybe, "Is this Best Buy, or Biggest Runaround?"

You could wear it in to the store and as soon as a cashier or manager starts giving you the run-around, pull your button forward say, "do you like my flare?"
Old 09-21-04, 09:16 PM
Cool New Member

Got SW for $34 and Mr Show $22 (20%off), then price matched Lost Boys for $10..then added got it put on my BB Rewards account.

My cashier just scanned the coupon it only would let it take 20% off on one DVD. He just read the front of the coupon (20% off 3 dvd's)..over rode the register and took the 20% off my other DVD..
Old 09-21-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally posted by pomodoro
Well it didn't go so well for me. The dirtly slut son of a bitch whore mother fucker said "oh, it says its expired so its expired" and I;m like WTF biotch?? So I grabbed an AD went to circuit City and pricematched.

I HATE BEST BUY!!!
Did you ask them to scan it? or mention that those madden books haven't been out for too long?
Old 09-21-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saved at BB today. Got 3 SW Trilogy's for 34.39 each, Sum of All Fears for 4.99 (after $5 off Sky Captain preview disc coupon), and also used a $5 off coupon for SW Battlefront for PS2. Of course, i had to tell the dumb chic at the Customer Service desk (of all places) how to use the coupon. Does BB even train their employees????? Geez!
Old 09-22-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rockmjd23, so, you have never presented a coupon only to be refused when some dumbass employee had no clue? I suppose you stood there offfering to pay more than the real price??

The coupon is good, Best Buy misprinted the thing, its the employees who have no clue.
Old 09-22-04, 07:46 AM

Exactly, the dumb hag was so convinced of herself "oh, its expired, read it yourself", I told her that madden had come out the week before and she said that the coupons had been out a while thats why they expired, so I gave up and went to CC
Old 09-22-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It's painfully obvious that results vary store by store.

But I thought it worth mentioning since I don't see people taking full advantage of this coupon.

I went up to the check-out counter and presented my Madden coupon and asked if they price-matched. The clerk said yes, I gave her the add for CompUSA (no Fry's near me).

The scanned coupon defaulted to using Best Buys sale price rather than the $39.99 she keyed in so she did a price override.

$31.99 prior to tax. A couple minutes and I'm out the door.

YMMV - but I don't see any reason why ya'll aren't (at least) trying to fully leverage this coupon.
Old 09-22-04, 06:27 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You were rather lucky to have found a cashier who let you PM AND use the coupon, and willing to override what their computer said. Most people will only get to choose PM or coupon, but not both.
Old 09-22-04, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by madcougar
Best Buy in Pasadena on Fairmont and Beltway 8 has tons of these things. They have so many copies, I've grown tired of taking them.
Thanks for the tip Cougar!
Thanks also to the OP.
Old 09-22-04, 11:49 PM

I was only offered the choice of the 20% off coupon from $42.99 ($34.39) or Fry's $36.99 price for Star Wars, so I obviously took the 20% off coupon. I asked a couple other employees to make sure they were being fair and consistent on this policy. It seems they were all briefed not to allow the coupon on top of a price match. Of course I know that there will always be at least 1 story posted by someone saying he/she got both deals because some people get lucky.

They had tons of Madden 2005 booklets at my store too, so I took a few extras when the employee near them said that was OK. Given the misprinted expiration date, I expect I'll get some grief when I try to use them but hopefully telling them to scan in the coupon and read what the computer says will work.

Do they track which customers use the coupons if you use your Reward Zone card? It says limit 1 per customer and I'm wondering how they can enforce that limit over multiple visits?

Also, some people said this works for 3 DVDs rather than just 1. Is that another part of the error with the 20% off coupon? It's supposed to expire on 12/31/04 and it's good for 20% off 3 DVDs?
Old 09-23-04, 05:11 AM

the 20% worked for me,

but not without some problems...

had the SW dvd+2 queen dvd`s...

what did i overcome.....

dvd coupon has expired...
only 10%...
only for one of the queen dvd`s...
won`t work on the SW dvd...
can`t use it for the queen dvd,it`s not a movie but music...

after all that,and more-he finaly gave me the 3 with the 20% off...

Last edited by tommy28; 09-23-04 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-23-04, 06:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
technically, since the price match is a refund of the difference + 10%, and not just a markdown of the price, coupons couldnt be used. you can either pay BB's price and use the coupon, or get the difference from the competitors price.
Well there are two types of price-match (1) getting the store to match a competitor's advertised price (at register) (2) going to customer service and asking them to match the price and 10 percent of the difference of something you already purchased.

I did the former - which should be clear from going to the check-out counter plus the 39.99 plus the resultant math.

Look, I've been around here a long time and really dislike the one-off stories more than most. However, I haven't seen anything in print (including what you posted) or on the back of the Madden coupon that says the 20% off coupon can't be applied to sale items. That's what I did, except I applied the coupon to someone else's sale price.

Bottom line (as Madden coupons can be used until the end of December and there will be other sales where BB will not be the advertised low price) is that you can:

either try it or don't try it.

I can guarantee that if you don't try it what the results will be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.