DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Best Buy's 2 for $20 promotion, or: How I got A Clockwork Orange for free (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/377644-best-buys-2-%2420-promotion-how-i-got-clockwork-orange-free.html)

BasiaMille 07-30-04 11:35 PM

Best Buy's 2 for $20 promotion, or: How I got A Clockwork Orange for free

This may belong in the bargains forum, and if it does, I apologize. I've only ever posted in this one.

Today i was at Best Buy returning a usb hub (not important why, really) and I flipped through this week's flyer. I saw they were doing an action/sci-fi promotion, of 2 for $20. On it, I saw they were selling The Final Countdown as one of their selected titles. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the photo in the ad was for the 2-disc LE of that film.

I went over to the aisle with that film, and saw they only had one copy left of the LE, but plenty of the standard edition, which itself was labeled as $14.99.

Obviously the ad, which stated that all the DVDs listed in the 2 for $20 promotion were originally $14.99, had this standard edition in mind. But I wanted to see how far I could go with this premise.

I grabbed a copy of A Clockwork Orange (also in the promotion, and long been one of my "why don't I have this yet?" DVDs), and the Final Countdown LE, and went to customer service, flyer in hand. The girl at the counter scrutinized the ad, and saw that it did, indeed, show the LE's photograph. She tried ringing up the two DVDs, but naturally, they did not trigger the discount, as the LE was listed as $19.99.

Still, I persisted, because hey, that's what it shows in the ad, and she finally hooked me up with a manual discount right there. So in the end, I got $35 worth of DVDs for $20, or A Clockwork Orange for free.

I recommend you all go out and try this if you've been holding out on TFC LE because of its price. Who knows, you don't ask, you don't get, right?

CDE,

CS

Monkspider 07-30-04 11:45 PM

Cool, Good show. :thumbs up:

asianxcore 07-30-04 11:55 PM

how did you get it for free?

you still essentially payed 10 bucks for both DVDs (great bargin on the Final Countdown 2 disc)

if I remember right a bunch of people posted in the bargins forum on this, successfully getting the 2 disc LE, because it's pictured.

natevines 07-31-04 12:03 AM

Originally posted by asianxcore
how did you get it for free?

you still essentially payed 10 bucks for both DVDs (great bargin on the Final Countdown 2 disc)

if I remember right a bunch of people posted in the bargins forum on this, successfully getting the 2 disc LE, because it's pictured.

Yeah, I suppose if you disregard the 2 for $20 deal, it may seem as though you got Clockwork Orange for free...
but anyway, I've always wanted the 2-disc LE of Final Countdown, so I may just try this. I see nothing else I want, however :(
I DO have the old Kubrick boxset, so I might just upgrade to the new Clockwork Orange.

BasiaMille 07-31-04 12:07 AM

the Kube

I had been on the fence, having not bought the Kubrick Box (new or old) but getting the individual SE release of Dr. Strangelove and the Creative Design Art box set of 2001. I was toying with the idea of getting the CDA box for ACO, but decided against it.

I wish they would make the Kubrick documentary available for those of us who either got the old box set, or bought most of his movies piecemeal.

I mean, I'm probably never going to own Barry Lyndon.

CDE,

CS

Gerry P. 07-31-04 12:20 AM

Re: the Kube

Originally posted by BasiaMille
I wish they would make the Kubrick documentary available for those of us who either got the old box set, or bought most of his movies piecemeal.

I mean, I'm probably never going to own Barry Lyndon.

A Life in Pictures is supposed to be available soon packaged together with the accompanying book.

p.s. Barry Lyndon is awesome.

donald gregory 07-31-04 11:53 AM

I had something similar happen to me by accident while Christmas shopping last year. At Suncoast, I was picking up two movies, one was The Producers (my sister loves old movies). We'll I said it was on sale for $9.95, so I went to the check out and it rang up as $25.99.

So I pointed this out, so the sales clerk looked and saw the display that said $9.95. So she manually changed the price, then after I paid and she was bagging them, she noticed and pointed out I had a 'Special Edition', which wasn't on sale. (I hadn't noticed either until this point).

She kind of motioned 'shh' and nodded for me to leave.

True christmas spirit :)

Tarantino 07-31-04 03:22 PM

Re: Best Buy's 2 for $20 promotion, or: How I got A Clockwork Orange for free

Originally posted by BasiaMille
This may belong in the bargains forum, and if it does, I apologize. I've only ever posted in this one.

Today i was at Best Buy returning a usb hub (not important why, really) and I flipped through this week's flyer. I saw they were doing an action/sci-fi promotion, of 2 for $20. On it, I saw they were selling The Final Countdown as one of their selected titles. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the photo in the ad was for the 2-disc LE of that film.

I went over to the aisle with that film, and saw they only had one copy left of the LE, but plenty of the standard edition, which itself was labeled as $14.99.

Obviously the ad, which stated that all the DVDs listed in the 2 for $20 promotion were originally $14.99, had this standard edition in mind. But I wanted to see how far I could go with this premise.

I grabbed a copy of A Clockwork Orange (also in the promotion, and long been one of my "why don't I have this yet?" DVDs), and the Final Countdown LE, and went to customer service, flyer in hand. The girl at the counter scrutinized the ad, and saw that it did, indeed, show the LE's photograph. She tried ringing up the two DVDs, but naturally, they did not trigger the discount, as the LE was listed as $19.99.

Still, I persisted, because hey, that's what it shows in the ad, and she finally hooked me up with a manual discount right there. So in the end, I got $35 worth of DVDs for $20, or A Clockwork Orange for free.

I recommend you all go out and try this if you've been holding out on TFC LE because of its price. Who knows, you don't ask, you don't get, right?

CDE,

CS

Wow, what a huge elaborate process :rolleyes:

asabase 07-31-04 04:40 PM

You didn't get clockwork orange free, you got a free upgrade to the 2 disc version of TFC.

Snowmaker 07-31-04 07:35 PM

Well, then I guess my Batman was free.

bga 07-31-04 07:38 PM

I PM'd at CC, and got the LE Final Countdown for $9, and The Hulk for $9.50.

Ruderic 08-01-04 07:32 PM

BasiaMille stole the DVD so he got it free. Oh wait nevermind.