DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Blockbuster MOVIE PASS (low price) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/375794-blockbuster-movie-pass-low-price.html)

Xbox69 07-20-04 04:31 PM

Blockbuster MOVIE PASS (low price)

I was at Blockbuster to return a game this morning and I picked up a new release DVD. As I was paying the clerk explained a new offer for the MOVIE PASS. Apparently it is being discounted by $10. $14.99 from $24.99 for the 2-out plan. I decided I'd give it a try so I chose another movie. Not sure if this is just an introductory price for the 1st month or a new price overall. I'll probably be canceling before the next monthly fee becomes due. Works out to be a great deal since the Blockbuster is within walking distance and no late fees if I decide to keep a movie for more than the usual 2 days.

Peep 07-20-04 04:37 PM

I wonder if this is a local deal or a national one.

nonametofame 07-20-04 04:39 PM

sweet, thanks for the post. I just called my Blockbuster in OC, CA. I'm guessing this is a national deal

wordtoyamotha 07-20-04 04:48 PM

Same deal for my local BB. Sounds like a national deal. Discount if for the 1st month only. Pass is automatically renewed unless you cancel. Prices for the 1st month are 14.99/2 out and 19.99/3 out.

tanman 07-20-04 11:50 PM

Now that seems more like the price I would pay. If I do a good month's run that will probably be enough for all I want to see at my local blockbuster.

squi23 07-21-04 09:40 AM

I'm already on board with Wal-mart DVD rental, but this may certainly be worth it for just 1 month!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Dorsalphin 07-21-04 12:47 PM

Can someone verify whether this plan applies to multiple stores, or only the store in which you signed up for it at. I think it's a great price, but the Blockbuster closest to me really doesn't have much of a selection once you get past the recent releases. Because of this, I'm reluctant to jump on this one.

Plus, has anyone encountered problems of blockbuster only having one copy of a dvd, and that copy never being returned now that renters can keep it for as long as they want? I mean, I've had roommates who used to keep rentals days after they were due. I can't imagine how long they would've kept movies if there was no late fee involved!

I'd hate to make it through all the new releases, only to have nothing left to rent. Maybe it's too soon to ask, but is anyone having good/bad experiences out there?

tonyj 07-21-04 12:49 PM

FYI... I bought in at $24.95 last month. When I went in yesterday and saw the $14.95 deal, I asked what they'd do for someone who signed up at the old price. They gave me a $5 gift card. Don't know if it is policy at other stores, though...

Dabaomb 07-21-04 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Dorsalphin
Can someone verify whether this plan applies to multiple stores, or only the store in which you signed up for it at. I think it's a great price, but the Blockbuster closest to me really doesn't have much of a selection once you get past the recent releases. Because of this, I'm reluctant to jump on this one.

Plus, has anyone encountered problems of blockbuster only having one copy of a dvd, and that copy never being returned now that renters can keep it for as long as they want? I mean, I've had roommates who used to keep rentals days after they were due. I can't imagine how long they would've kept movies if there was no late fee involved!

I'd hate to make it through all the new releases, only to have nothing left to rent. Maybe it's too soon to ask, but is anyone having good/bad experiences out there?

each pass is store specific.

nonametofame 07-21-04 01:08 PM

luckily, my store breaks street dates and always has new releases a week early.

shaka 07-21-04 01:13 PM

We rented over 100 movies in one month, a lot of boxsets. My friend live about a block from the BBV. The pass was good only for the store where you bought your pass.

wordtoyamotha 07-21-04 01:26 PM

Signed up for this last night. Yes, yes I know they don't have the selection of Netflix but I figured I could catch up on recent titles as well as hitting their smaller selection of catalog titles.

The salesperson even encouraged me to come in more than once per day if I like.

QuikSilver 07-23-04 04:47 PM

I saw a commerical last night (I think it was MTV) that mentioned the new low price for the movie price. I am actually considering this deal.

Dabaomb 07-23-04 04:51 PM

Originally posted by QuikSilver
I saw a commerical last night (I think it was MTV) that mentioned the new low price for the movie price. I am actually considering this deal.
same here, I saw the commercial too but don't remember what channel.

bullwinkle 07-23-04 05:48 PM

I bought the pass on Monday night for $24.99, and of course on Tuesday the price went down to $14.99. I asked them about it and like the person above me, they gave me a $5 GiftCard.

PolloDiablo 07-23-04 06:56 PM

Just a heads up for you folks who have signed up for the pass in the last couple of months and had to pay the full $24.95; as some of the other people here have said you can receive a $5 giftcard rebate, but what many people don't know is that we are actually authorized to give you 2 $5 giftcards if you're not satisfied with just the one. So if you go into your Blockbuster and explain that you would like the full $10 rebated then they should give you 2 Giftcards, we are authorized to do this and if they tell you we aren't then just ask to speak to a manager.

jpdude 07-23-04 07:34 PM

My local Blockbuster store is franchise owned, not corporate.....so i'm missing out on this deal, it kinda sucks!

Erillian 07-23-04 08:11 PM

O.K. if someone wouldn'y mind clarifying.....

I signed up at the end of May and did my month than I cancelled. Can I now go and sign up again for 14.99 for one month or since I already did a month awhile ago am I not allowed to have the deal? Thanks and sorry if it has already been answered and I am too dumb to see it.

bmello 07-23-04 08:33 PM

Another question, since this deal is store specific couldn't we sign up at one store for $14.95, cancel and then go to the next store for $14.95 and so on until the promo ends.

nonametofame 07-23-04 11:00 PM

thanks for whoever posted the tip on the giftcard return. My membership ended on July 11th. Just got from BB with a $10 gift card return. I'll be putting it towards another movie pass at another blockbuster. I'll post the results later

diesteldorf 07-24-04 12:16 AM

Can someone clarify. Is it possible to have a Movie Pass that is cancelled/expired and still get the $5 or $10 card?

Then, could you come back later and sign up again for the reduced price?

Seems like double dipping, but would it work?

Peep 07-24-04 02:04 AM

Originally posted by bmello
Another question, since this deal is store specific couldn't we sign up at one store for $14.95, cancel and then go to the next store for $14.95 and so on until the promo ends.
When they were selling 2 movies out for $24.95 a month a clerk explained to me that you could have multiple plans open at different locations (or even the same plan out twice at the same location). Don't know if he was right or if that still applies. I'm guessing the multiple plans at different locations probably works.

nonametofame 07-24-04 02:07 AM

okay, quick update.....i used the $10 gc refund that I acquired at one blockbuster and was able to sign up for another movie pass at another location for $14.99

Erillian 07-24-04 06:16 AM

Now nonametofame how did you go about getting that giftcard since your pass was already expired?

marty888 07-24-04 10:04 AM

Any idea how long this $14.95 price will be available? I know I wouldn't be able to use it to best advantage for the next two weeks, so I'd ike to wait and jump in sometime early August - if it's still priced this way.