Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Voyager Season Two for 26.99 at Blockbuster!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 03-17-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No joke! I just came from there and, out of sheer curiosity, had them look up Voyager Season Two and almost fell over when I found out their computer has it listed for 26.99. I pre ordered my copy on the spot, and paid for it in full.

And, in the event somebody asks, no, they CANNOT force you to pay the higher price if and when they realize they have a 101.99 DVD set priced that low in their system. Once you pay for it, even if you put five dollars down, there is nothing they can do, you are locked in at getting it at that price, even if it changes in their computer later.

For the curious, if your BB clerk has trouble finding it in their system, the part number for it is 888570.

I suggest you act fast if you're going to act at all on this, though, because they get computer updates regularly on their prices from Corporate, so this may go up to 101.99 before you know it. Don't drag your feet!

I went to a Blockbuster in Kansas City, if the question comes up.
Old 03-17-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
calhoun07,

I too live in KC - which Blockbuster did you go to?
Old 03-17-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check mine a little later(when they open).
Old 03-17-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just went and it using the part # calhoun gave us it found it for the $26.99 price. I was able to preorder it. But, I couldn't pay for it in full or even leave a deposit. So I will take it with little expectation. If it comes in and they honor the price I will be happy. If not, then I will cancel it and go to Costco and getting where it is usually the cheapest.

Ordered it a the Neptune, NJ store.
Old 03-17-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
calhoun, thanks for posting, I just made a quick trip (CR, IA) and simply asked if they had it for sale yet. The manager was looking it up for me, she said that they could special order it and it would be $26.99. I said I'd like a copy, she took my name and number and said that I wouldn't need to leave a deposit or anything, that they'd call when it came in. I asked if it was possible to prepay, because that was the best price I'd found so far and I wanted to lock it in (honest, right? ). She said sure, but I'd need a membership (mine had lapsed), so I took 3 minutes to fill out a membership, and I'm all set! The only thing that slightly concerns me is she rang up a deposit of $25.99, and then said that I'll have to pay $1 when it comes in and I pick it up. There is nothing on the receipt that reflects the $26.99 price or the balance due, but I saw her write my name and phone number in the order book, along with the $26.99 price. It is definitely worth a shot, and I'm keeping her name on the receipt in case I need to talk with her when it arrives.
Old 03-17-04, 03:31 PM

is this for a new or preplayed copy? If it is new and they dont have it, why not? isnt it released a week ago or something?
Might be a while for a preplayed one to come in.......
Old 03-17-04, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fitzcain
is this for a new or preplayed copy? If it is new and they dont have it, why not? isnt it released a week ago or something?
Might be a while for a preplayed one to come in.......
This is for a new copy, as far as I can tell. It hasn't been released yet - the street date is the first Tuesday in May.

Taking MSRP and Blockbuster's markup into account, a used copy would easily go for $15 per disc there.
Old 03-17-04, 04:38 PM

It's definintely a new copy. They would take reservations for PVed copies, but not pre-orders. My receipt clearly states presale.
Old 03-17-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TOLEN
I just went and it using the part # calhoun gave us it found it for the $26.99 price. I was able to preorder it. But, I couldn't pay for it in full or even leave a deposit. So I will take it with little expectation. If it comes in and they honor the price I will be happy. If not, then I will cancel it and go to Costco and getting where it is usually the cheapest.

Ordered it a the Neptune, NJ store.
You have to preorder it to get locked in at that price. If and when it comes in and it rings up for 101.99 (and they will change the price in the computer before it comes out, I am certain) they may not honor the original price.

Why didn't you put money down for it? Didn't they let you, or did the clerk just not know how to do it (and I know not all employees know how to do a pre order in the computer, but that's no excuse.)

As for the question earlier on where I went, it was off of Oak Street.

Shoveller--You will only have to pay a dollar for it when it comes in. It is in the computer and on your account for that price, and that is all they will charge you when it comes in. Now, just be sure they don't scan the item when you pick it up. They have to DELIVER it to your account, which doesn't require scanning the UPC code. They type in that part number and it is delivered to your account.

And, yes, this is for a NEW copy. I think the previewed price was for 16.99 or something like that (not that I've ever seen a full box set previewed at a Blockbuster, they usually sell them as individual volumes.)

Last edited by calhoun07; 05-18-04 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-17-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
You have to preorder it to get locked in at that price. If and when it comes in and it rings up for 101.99 (and they will change the price in the computer before it comes out, I am certain) they may not honor the original price.

Why didn't you put money down for it? Didn't they let you, or did the clerk just not know how to do it (and I know not all employees know how to do a pre order in the computer, but that's no excuse.)
Thanks for the heads up. I just got back and they flat out refused to accept any money. No matter how little I offered they said their manager will not allow them to accept any payment on pre-orders cause they don't want to have to refund money if they don't get any stock.

I'm not hopeful of getting this when it is released.
Old 03-17-04, 08:20 PM

Just got back from my local Blockbuster. I walked in and told them I wanted to preorder Item Number 888570 and wanted to pay it off in full. They quickly agreed and I walked out 4 minutes later, receipt in hand. Big thank you to Calhoun for the heads up on this.
Old 03-17-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gilgamesh1082
Just got back from my local Blockbuster. I walked in and told them I wanted to preorder Item Number 888570 and wanted to pay it off in full. They quickly agreed and I walked out 4 minutes later, receipt in hand. Big thank you to Calhoun for the heads up on this.
I was able to do this very same thing. Walked in, asked about having ST Voyager S2 for sale(pre-order), clerk was having trouble finding it(too many ST titles) - so I casually mentioned a "part #" that I thought it was(888570 - I couldn't remember if this was it exactly) and it came up. She let me pre-order it(gave name & phone #) & she even let me pay in full w/out showing my membership card(or even requiring it).

So, $26.99 + tax = $29.22 out-the-door. COOL!!!!

Thanks OP!!

Old 03-17-04, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Shoveler
She said sure, but I'd need a membership
Odd, my membership had lapsed, and they just wrote "non-member" on the pre-order form.

It seems that people are getting different reactions depending on what store they go to.

We have some people in this thread saying that they couldn't pre-pay, you saying that you paid all but $1, and the two near me gave me no option... I had to pre-pay. Of course, that could be because I do not have a membership.
Old 03-17-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully this will last until the weekend and I'll try another store as I would like to get this.
Old 03-17-04, 11:11 PM

The one near me wouldn't take payment without a membership.
Old 03-17-04, 11:31 PM
Suspended

I remember this way back when they had the Universal Monsters box set for a mad stupid low price (25 bucks for a 150+ box). Most of the people got in the door without a problem - most, not all.

Even better - Blockbuster didnt change the UM box for MONTHS and MONTHS, well after they had discovered the problem.

Either way, I think I might pick it up. 30 bucks for crap Star Trek - well, it might make a good gift for xmas. . . for my worst enemy!
Old 03-18-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried 2 stores. Neither would take payment. I'll try other stores later this week if the deal is still active. I placed pre-orders for the item anyway at the 2 stores. I only want 1 copy at that price. I'll refuse them both at the higher price, and let BlockBuster deal with unloading them. oh well.
Old 03-18-04, 08:50 AM
Cool New Member

Which BB in CR, IA was it, Shoveler? Going there at lunch!
Old 03-18-04, 10:17 AM

My BBV is not willing to sell it to me at that price. They said it is obviously a pricing error, and refused me.

So, if anyone here would be able to help me out, I will pay you the cost plus tax of the DVD.

And, upon successful receipt of the DVD set, I will pay you another $20 to cover the shipping (plus some extra $$$ for your trouble).

Please send me a private message here, or through the email link on my profile page, and we can work out the details.

Thanks!

Last edited by aperry; 03-18-04 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-18-04, 10:47 AM

w'bug, it was the Collins Road BB. Good luck!
Old 03-18-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by aperry
My BBV is not willing to sell it to me at that price. They said it is obviously a pricing error, and refused me.

So, if anyone here would be able to help me out, I will pay you the cost plus tax of the DVD.

And, upon successful receipt of the DVD set, I will pay you another $20 to cover the shipping (plus some extra $$$ for your trouble).

Please send me a private message here, or through the email link on my profile page, and we can work out the details.

Thanks!
people are so stupid. why should they care if its a pricing error? are they personaly losing money? no. with the amount of credits and free rentals they give away, i find this very amusing.

but ask for their district managers number, call him or her. tell them that an employee REFUSED to SELL you merchendise. i would pretty much gaurentte you will get a free copy of what you wanted to order
Old 03-18-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Me007gold
but ask for their district managers number, call him or her. tell them that an employee REFUSED to SELL you merchendise.
Well, no one refused to sell me the merchendise at BlockBuster. It is mine ... on preorder/special order. However, they just refused to take advanced payment. Since they have no physical merchandise yet to sell, it is not like they are withholding anything.
Old 03-18-04, 01:09 PM

I don't know that getting in touch with a District Manager would do any good though... This store is a franchise store (not a corporate store), and this is not the first time they have "strayed" from what the corporate stores are doing.

I am really learning to hate this particular store...
Old 03-18-04, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by aperry
I don't know that getting in touch with a District Manager would do any good though... This store is a franchise store (not a corporate store), and this is not the first time they have "strayed" from what the corporate stores are doing.

I am really learning to hate this particular store...
If there's no other store in your area, the DM might make arrangements for you to get it from another place.

These guys will usually bend over backwards to help you, because they realize that most shoppers don't know the difference between franchise vs. corporate, and something that the franchise store does will make a customer so angry that they will not go to the corporate ones.
Old 03-18-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 247 Likes on 181 Posts
Anyone have any differing experiences whether it is a corporate store or franchise?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.