DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Actual DVD movies at the Dollar Store (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/349187-actual-dvd-movies-dollar-store.html)

chemosh6969 02-24-04 05:14 PM

Actual DVD movies at the Dollar Store

I know there was the thread earlier about the 9/11 dvd, but I went there today and found real movies(if you can call them that). There were a bunch of older black and white movies I had never heard of but I found one copy of Get Christie Love!

Inside the case(if you could even call it that, it was a paper envelope), it had listings of other movies they have(or are going to have).

Satan's School For Girls
Swamp Women
I Eat Your Skin
Web of the Spider
Blood of the Dragon
Samurai Reincarnation
Black Cobra
High Risk
The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery
Boot Hill
Laser Mission

They weren't in the normal place I find the movies as these were up at the checkout counter and at first glance I thought they were cards or something until I caught the DVD Video symbol on the cover. But it seems worth checking out.

mymatchboxs 02-24-04 08:11 PM

Several Dollar Trees in the Mid-Atlantic area have other more popluar movies too, including House on Haunted Hill, various Sherlock Holmes movies starring Basil Rathmore, and some vintage TV shows. Most stores have them thrown in the metal baskets near other electronics goods, others have kept them in the cardboard display and have placed them in different locations within the store. All are in simple cardboard envelopes.

sataniko 02-25-04 07:53 AM

I think there are a couple of Dollar Trees stores in my area, I'll see if they have anything of interest

majorjoe23 02-25-04 12:08 PM

I might pick up Laser Mission for a buck.

Bill Geiger 02-25-04 02:41 PM

Yeah well, until Kingdom Of The Spiders comes out I ain't buying nothing! :)

JestersTear 02-25-04 04:38 PM

Is Laser Mission like the oldies movies, packed in an envelope?

I saw White Zombie at my local dollar tree, but not a single one of the titles mentioned in the initial post.

snorlaxnut 02-29-04 10:46 PM

I looked at my Dolalr Tree today, nothing.

GMLSKIS 03-01-04 12:31 AM

Nothing at mine.

Leechboy 03-01-04 11:02 AM

I picked up "The House on the Edge of the Park" today. For $1 its a great deal, its widescreen and has a decent transfer.

Damien666Omen 03-01-04 01:00 PM

I wouldn't watch those movies if someone paid me $1, nevermind paying $1.

You are paying $1 for wasting 90 minutes of your life pretty much LOL

JestersTear 03-01-04 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Damien666Omen
I wouldn't watch those movies if someone paid me $1, nevermind paying $1.

You are paying $1 for wasting 90 minutes of your life pretty much LOL

Go home kid, let the adults talk.

The Valeyard 03-01-04 10:23 PM

I picked up Rescue From Gilligan's Island at the Dollar Tree in Reseda, CA.

Andrew

The Valeyard 03-05-04 04:59 PM

I went to another Dollar Tree today and walked out with a pleasant surprise.

This store didn't have the same DVDs that the one in Reseda had. This Dollar Tree had DVDs from a different company (Movie Classics. The Reseda store had DVDs from DollarDVD). The packaging was also different, firm cardboard envelope as oposed to a papery one.

The transfer for Rescue from Gilligan's Island was horrid (I know, I know. What do I want for a dollar?). It looked a step below VHS. So going into the other Dollar Tree (still looking for the 9/11 Documentary) I didn't expect miracles from their stock.

But then the surprises began:

First off, the different packaging. Second, all the DVDs were public domain films and nothing I had seen at the other Dollar Tree. Third, after picking up Last Man on Earth and taking it home, I found that the transer was pretty damn decent and in Letterbox (2.35:1 but not anamorphic). It even started off with the current MGM Lion Roar. It's a bit contrasty and not "sharp" but a million times better than I expected for one thin dollar (especially after Gilligan's Island).

The transfer came from The National Film Museum Inc. that supplies Elite with their Drive-In films. Again, nothing to crow about but much better than I was expecting. I'm thinking of going back to pick up a few more of their films. They had The Terror so I'm hoping it's just as good.

Andrew

cinemaman 03-14-04 06:18 PM

my wife just bought a bunch of the movie classics...meet john doe, fighting sullivans, penny serenade, etc.

All very decent transfers.. nothing to brag about, a little soft but definitely watchable and infinitely better than anything I got from Madacy.

For a $1 this is incredible... may go back and see what else they have..

CaseyB 03-15-04 04:10 PM

There was just a story on the local news about all the 99 Cents Only Stores now carrying DVDs. The ones they have now are in cardboard sleeves and feature 3 TV shows on each disc. The ones pictured during the story had John Barrymore and Bela Lugosi starring. :)

cinemaman 03-15-04 04:43 PM

just got the rest of the classics. watched Leave Room for Daddy. Picture not bad at all.. really enjoyed the show.

haven't checked them all out, but so far these would a good deal at $4.99 at walmart.. For $1 these are incredible.

Jah-Wren Ryel 03-15-04 08:35 PM

Originally posted by CaseyB
There was just a story on the local news about all the 99 Cents Only Stores now carrying DVDs.
How weird. Why is your local news doing an advertisement for the 99 cent store?

shawagg 03-16-04 01:45 AM

I was thinking the same thing. What town do you live in? Slow news day I guess.

CaseyB 03-16-04 02:34 AM

It was on the KCAL channel 9 news here in Los Angeles. There's a reporter that does bargain hunting and this was his find of the day. :)

DouglasRobert 03-16-04 04:56 AM

Where exactly are they located in the store?

I went up and down the aisles and couldn't find them.

CaseyB 03-16-04 05:50 AM

I'll probably be stopping by later today and I'll report back. :)

taronga 03-16-04 07:17 AM

Which dollar stores have DVDs been seen at? I had no luck at Dollar General, but I saw Lawnmower Man and a Jackie Chan film with no price stickers at Family Dollar yesterday. They looked like they'd been left on the shelf when someone decided not to buy them. I never did find the original display.

Bobhug 03-16-04 09:19 AM

More Titles at Dollar Tree

I went to Dollar Tree to see if they had any more DVDs for
$1. All of the first batch of DVDs from Dollar DVD and Movie/Television Classics were sold out, but they had a display from a different manufacturer/distributor called "Treasure Box Collection." TBC has a fairly limited catalog of just 12 titles at present, but they had a good quantity of each title, unlike Dollar DVD or Movie/Television Classics that had 2 or 3 of each title. Here's the list:

Mister Scarface - Italian crime drama w/Jack Palance
Get Christy Love - Blaxploitation TV Film
They Call Me Trinity - Spaghetti Western w/Terence Hill & Bud Spencer
Africa Screams - Abbott & Costello
The Last Time I Saw Paris - Elizabeth Taylor & Van Johnson
The Beverly Hillbillies - 4 random episodes, not specified on cover
Little Shop of Horrors - Roger Corman classic
Beyond Justice - Middle East action film w/ Rutger Hauer & Omar Sharif
The Dick Van Dyke Show - 4 random episodes, not specified on cover
Cold Sweat - Charles Bronson Euro-thriller
The Snows of Kilimanjaro - Gregory Peck & Ava Gardner
The Road to Bali - Bob Hope/Bing Crosby/Dorothy Lamour

Treasure Box Collection DVDs are packed in a cardboard folder, similar to Dollar DVD. There is no contact information for TBC anywhere on the folder.

digidoh 03-16-04 10:37 AM

Originally posted by taronga
Which dollar stores have DVDs been seen at? ...Dollar General ...Family Dollar
Yeah, that's what I was hoping when I saw the title of this thread. But if you haven't reread the past posts, it's a chain called Dollar Tree.

They have several stores in Kentucky.

http://www.dollartree.com/site/fr_locator.cfm

CaseyB 03-16-04 07:10 PM

Just got back from my local 99 Cents Only Store and they were sold out. :(