Reload this Page >

NEW MEMBER: Looking for the best places to sell used DVDs

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 01-24-04, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone!

I'm a new member with about 77 DVDs and because of the constant re-releases, special editions, etcs,...I've noticed I have many different versions of the same titles. I was wondering if there was a store or website that offers good prices for used DVDs (some are even unopened).

Thanks for any help!...do any other members have this problem with re-releases?

PS...I don't know which forum this would be best suited for but I recently read on Aint it cool.com that DVDs will soon be history because of a new format called D-VHS. Anyone here ever heard of it?
Old 01-24-04, 10:36 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Hi New Member! Welcome to the DVD Talk Forums.

There are a few places online to sell used DVDs: SecondSpin.com, Spun.com, DigitalEyes.net.

You won't get a lot for them, though. If you have a new title that's still wrapped you could get more through eBay, or else through the DVD Talk Exchange forum right on this very site.

D-VHS is a throw-back medium, intended as a stop-gap measure for studios to show off their high-definition transfers before HD-DVD is released.

DVD isn't going anywhere, and D-VHS was doomed from the moment it was released. It will become obsolete whenever Blu-Ray or HD-DVD are released in the next two to three years.

In the meantime, DVD is growing market share and the future HD version will be backwards compatible.

So don't worry about your growing DVD collection. It won't be obsolete for a long long time.
Old 01-24-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.spun.com www.dvdempire.com www.dvds123.com are all decent choices. As is eBay/Half.com.

recently read on Aint it cool.com that DVDs will soon be history because of a new format called D-VHS. Anyone here ever heard of it?
No worries. D-VHS won't even come close to having an impact on DVDs. (for one thing, it's tape-based.) Every time a company issues a press release about a new product, you'll here some web site claim that it'll make your DVDs obsolete like 8-track tapes. Feel free to ignore this and enjoy your collection. DVD will be around for a long, long while.
Old 01-24-04, 10:40 AM

My favorite place to sell my used DVDs is half.com because it's so easy.
Old 01-24-04, 10:45 AM

Thanks

I appreciate you answering so quickly...

That D-VHS news gad me really worried...I have never used the DVDtalk exchange and will definately look into it...

I wanted to upgrade my current Alien collection to the new 9 DVD set.

Have you had personal experience with the DVD talk exchange?

Thanks again
Old 01-24-04, 10:46 AM

Half.com?

How are the prices when selling?
Old 01-24-04, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by thesaint
Half.com?

You can go the website and check, but keep in mind half.com charges a high commission to sell (~15%). The only thing I put on there are my textbooks cause it's still more than going to the bookstore.
Old 01-24-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always sell on Ebay......I get a good price everytime.
Old 01-24-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you want to sell them all at once..email me list and what you will take for them all shipped media mail. I have bought several collections
on this forum.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 01-24-04, 04:33 PM

I usually sell all my DVDs @ www.half.com with no problems.

Anj
Old 01-24-04, 10:44 PM

Thanks for all the advice!

Thanks IAMLEGEND (I'll email you in a couple of hours and I'll pay for shipping even - since some are sealed and some aren't)

But I'll also be checking out ebay and half.com, just to be sure of the prices.

Can anyone give me some examples of the prices they were getting when selling DVDs used at half.com and ebay?
Old 01-25-04, 01:09 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
If you get $5.00 for a used disc, consider yourself fortunate.

Most used places will pay $3-5. It doesn't seem like much (because it isn't) but try to figure out if it's worth it to you. The DVDs sitting unwatched on your shelf are worth $0 to you. You may as well cash them in for something useful.
Old 01-25-04, 01:25 AM

If your lucky enough to still have a wherehouse music store closeby (B&M) then you can do one of their 3 for 1 tradeins, which is great as you can trade 3 old, crappy titles for 1 brand new title up to a $30 value. This is a great way to get rid of your old outdated titles or bargain dvds for a new release.
Old 01-25-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Shroud
If your lucky enough to still have a wherehouse music store closeby (B&M) then you can do one of their 3 for 1 tradeins, which is great as you can trade 3 old, crappy titles for 1 brand new title up to a $30 value. This is a great way to get rid of your old outdated titles or bargain dvds for a new release.
Does this hold true to all states?
Old 01-25-04, 02:52 PM
Suspended

Doesn't Electronics Boutique (or EB Games) also offer a trade-in deal?
Old 01-25-04, 04:17 PM

I either sell via Half.Com or to a local flea market seller who pays $8 per DVD.

When I have a title that I want to sell, I search for it on Half and see if they are selling for over $8. If they are, then I list mine on there. If they aren't selling for over $8, then the flea market dealer gets it.

As for success rate, I have sold over 60 DVD's in the past 2 months and I have AVERAGED getting over $11 each for them after commission.

The thing that I like about Half is that there is no fee to list the item and it stays up until it either sells or you remove it. On Ebay, the item isn't guaranteed to sell and you could find yourself out of the listing fee if it doesn't.

In addition, Half reimburses you for most of the shipping charges.

Finally, I love the fact that Half collects the money for you and direct deposits it into your checking account twice a month. There is no waiting for money orders to arrive or using Pay Pal. They just send you an e-mail telling you that you have made a sale and telling you where to ship the item. Clean and simple.
Old 01-25-04, 05:06 PM

The thing that I like about Half is that there is no fee to list the item and it stays up until it either sells or you remove it. On Ebay, the item isn't guaranteed to sell and you could find yourself out of the listing fee if it doesn't.

In addition, Half reimburses you for most of the shipping charges.

Finally, I love the fact that Half collects the money for you and direct deposits it into your checking account twice a month. There is no waiting for money orders to arrive or using Pay Pal. They just send you an e-mail telling you that you have made a sale and telling you where to ship the item. Clean and simple. [/B]
I like Half.com too. It's a shame that Ebay bought them with the intent to shut them down. I'm not sure when it will happen, but I wonder if these practices will continue when Ebay tries to merge current Half.com listings into their own auction system.

If that happens, I'd suggest using Amazon.com's used/reseller service. It works in a similar way to Half.com, and if Ebay assimilates it then Amazon might see a spike from disappointed patrons.

To their credit, at least the Half/Ebay people have given their sellers plenty of notice that this will happen.
Old 01-25-04, 07:03 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

one thing about amazon is that they make more of a commission than half.com, which is really pathetic
Old 01-27-04, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by thesaint
Half.com?

I've used Half.com a lot for selling DVD's (sold over $2200 worth in 2003). I've been able to upgrade many of my DVD's to anamorphic, special editions, etc and then sell the old version for more than I paid for the upgrades.

Like, I paid $12.80 for the new Digital Video Essentials, sold the old for $17.85. Paid $12.00 for the new El Mariachi/Desperado combo, sold the old for $16.50. Paid $9.75 for the new X-Files movie, sold the old for $11.50. Bought the new Tron for $5.00 and sold the old for $12.00....and many more examples.
Old 01-27-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Half.com is great but I think they are shutting down soon because Ebay bought them out.

Too bad. I sold a lot of stuff there.
Old 01-27-04, 09:59 AM

eBay bought them 3 years ago and they haven't shut them down yet. I see they're trying to ease people over, but they haven't shut it down yet.
Old 01-27-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JustinCleveland
eBay bought them 3 years ago and they haven't shut them down yet. I see they're trying to ease people over, but they haven't shut it down yet.
They're shutting down the site before the end of the year. During the summer, is the last update I heard.

http://news.com.com/2100-1017-991480.html?tag=fd_top
Old 01-27-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

fye/coconuts typically pays between $5 and $10 for single DVD's. but hammer you on boxsets and stuff.

some stores do credit others do cash (most coconuts are cash)
Old 01-30-04, 11:25 AM

What's the best way to unload my DVD's with cut UPC's? Will anyone take them?
Old 01-30-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
I've had good luck with Half.com also. Obviously you have a rare/OOP type thing, Ebay might be the way to go, and half.com's commission fees may seem kind of high [15% up to 50.00, and it slowly drops from there], but I have listed stuff there that has been there for over two years. And has actually sold after that long. 15% of 11.00 is worth it for that much web exposure.
They do offer a shipping credit, which is nice, and I do love the almost-insta-deposit.
Also a good way to get rid of perhaps out-of-date stuff that isn't as in-demand [I just sold a 5 year old anime VHS tape for 11.00, granted I probably paid 20 for it, but I'm not going to watch it again, and odds are no one else would take it for anything close to worth selling it for.] In fact, it last sold for 6.50 on ebay. I hope ebay keeps at least some of the functionality of Half.com.]
Amazon's commission is 15% plus .99.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.