DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Free DVD and Game Rental Trials and Offers (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/271387-free-dvd-game-rental-trials-offers.html)

knightsabers 10-24-03 01:39 AM

I'm thinking of giving Netflix a try, and I was wondering what would happen if the DVD is lost in the mail?

KS

slocko 10-24-03 11:01 AM

you reported and they give you the option to resend it or send the next one in your queue.

i had that happen, but most likely it was stolen at their Queens facility.

they caught one guy who had a 100 dvd in his back pack and another employee who had 700 dvds in his house.

it hasn't happend again since the sting operation.

KMort 11-06-03 08:23 AM

eHit.com DVD Returns

Two of my returns to eHit.com have not been logged into their system.

If anyone has had a problem with returns to eHit.com please post here.

Information on how the problem was resolved would be helpful.

Calistoga 11-14-03 11:17 AM

Wanted to give warning to anyone using Numberslate. After cancelling my trial service, and even getting an email confirmation of the cancellation, they charged my credit card a month later. It took me some researching and phone calls to track down the charge as theirs, since my card statement shows them as "Mentura, Inc." Even when I called them, they would not readily admit they were "Numberslate" until I pushed it. They are reversing the charge, but considering their horrible service (I only got 3 DVDs in the rental period, and they were very old releases), this was certainly not worth the trouble.

The Mentura, Inc phone number is 1-707-577-1412 for anyone that might need it.

coop22 11-17-03 01:11 PM

I tried the NETFLIX free offer and was going to cancel (and sign up later as i was going to be out of town briefly) and when i clicked cancel they gave me an improved monthly offer:

if you sign up for 3 months its only $15.95/month for 3 at a time
if you sign up for 6 months its only $14.95/month for 3

I'm not sure if you can get this deal anywhere else, but it was good enough for me, as I am saving $5/month of the regular rate, and was going to rejoin in two weeks time

drmoze 11-24-03 12:52 PM

Netflix is *silly* fast here in NYC. Emailed an order for 3 DVDs Sunday night (2-week trial) and they were in my mailbox Tues. afternoon. Dropped 2 in the mail Saturday, and this morning (Monday) they sent me an email at 10am saying they were received. My next 2 will be shipped today and I bet I have them tomorrow.

Very little hassle, extremely fast. I think I'll join and catch a lot of the new (and old ) DVDs that I don't quite want to buy & keep. Coop, thanks for the heads-up on the better deal too!

slocko 11-26-03 10:27 AM

i am now getting two day turn around on my netflix dvds. my warehouse in one town over.

i drop them off and the next day they are received and my new one is shipped. most of the time i receive it the following day.

Easy 12-02-03 09:13 AM

Originally posted by coop22
I tried the NETFLIX free offer and was going to cancel (and sign up later as i was going to be out of town briefly) and when i clicked cancel they gave me an improved monthly offer:

if you sign up for 3 months its only $15.95/month for 3 at a time
if you sign up for 6 months its only $14.95/month for 3

Sweet deal. Good tip. Thanks.

dfriedland 12-03-03 10:28 AM

So are there any coupons that can be used when signing up as a new member to netflix?

WoodiE55 12-06-03 01:45 AM

Video Game Rental

Govojo

Dick Diablo 12-11-03 02:21 PM

Does anyone know how to locate the 4-disc extended edition of Two Towers at Netflix? Their product description seems to indicate just the regular version when I search for Two Towers.

I just rejoined Nextflix after a three year hiatus, and their website is sorely lacking from how I remember it back in 1999-2000. I can't believe they would make it so difficult to find and rent this mainstream release.

lostmutt 12-11-03 03:19 PM

Tried Filmcaddy last month and it was awfull!!!!

4-5 days to recieve and 4-5 days to return(and the last movie I returned was recieved in 1 day!!!!(What the $#@*!!!)

Terrible search engine.
No way to tell what the wait is or what's in stock.

Not worth the trouble.

Walmart was pretty good on the other hand.
Gave you a good idea of what the wait was and only 1-2 day turnaround on movies.((Rented a total of 27 in Sept.)and NO I do not have a life!!)) :)

No real complaints there.

( I live in Atlanta GA.)

vegasbaby 12-15-03 11:23 AM

filmcaddy's site has been down for 3 days. anyone know whats going on?

mike1977 01-02-04 04:43 AM

Originally posted by Calistoga
Wanted to give warning to anyone using Numberslate. After cancelling my trial service, and even getting an email confirmation of the cancellation, they charged my credit card a month later. It took me some researching and phone calls to track down the charge as theirs, since my card statement shows them as "Mentura, Inc." Even when I called them, they would not readily admit they were "Numberslate" until I pushed it. They are reversing the charge, but considering their horrible service (I only got 3 DVDs in the rental period, and they were very old releases), this was certainly not worth the trouble.

The Mentura, Inc phone number is 1-707-577-1412 for anyone that might need it.

Maybe using a Webcertificate number or something like a disposable credit card number that can only be used once for charging your real credit card account would be safer if you plan on only using them during the free trial.

CaptDS9E 01-02-04 06:51 AM

Yeah netflix is very fast here in NYC as Netflix has a place in Flushing. I signed up last week for the trial and it takes one day for dvd's to get here and 1 day to get back to them.

capt

mlvc6969 01-06-04 01:29 PM

Has anyone been able to rejoin a club they already did the free membership in under a different name or credit card, do any of the companys really pay attention to this?

mike1977 01-06-04 05:09 PM

Greencine doesn't recycle user names, but they pay attention to your house address.

derning 01-08-04 09:46 PM

Adult Netflix

<I> Removed Ad</i>

yellowaznboy 01-09-04 08:25 PM

I've never tried any of these rental services before, but I have decided to give some of the free trials a...well...trial. I've read through the entire thread, but I still have some questions:

Do these rental services allow you to rent DVD sets, such as The Whole Bean (3 disc set)? If so, are they counted as one selection, or what? Some only allow 3 discs out at one time, and am interested in how they deal with this kind of situation.

Thanks in advance!

Galileo01 01-12-04 06:53 AM

I have rented from Netflix and Greencine and if you rent a series that is separated on more that one dvd each individual dvd is its own selection. So if want to rent them you have to add each one to your queue and they will be shipped separately.

conehead433 01-18-04 09:27 PM

"I have rented from Netflix and Greencine and if you rent a series that is separated on more that one dvd each individual dvd is its own selection. So if want to rent them you have to add each one to your queue and they will be shipped separately."

With Netflix you can click the rent button on a whole season and all the discs will be added to your queue.

Samuel_M 01-19-04 01:48 PM

Hello:

I'm just curious as to whether any former members of Netflix were offered some sort of incentives/deals to rejoin? I'm seriously considering becoming a member again, and I've read how some people were able get discounted membership rates provided they committed for a certain length of time (i.e. six months at $14.95 p/mo). Is this true, and if so, how do you go about gettin' in on this?

Could anyone here offer some advice as to how I can get in on really good offer to rejoin?

Please let me know! Thank you. :)

Mr. Gore 01-21-04 05:41 AM

Originally posted by Samuel_M
Hello:

I'm just curious as to whether any former members of Netflix were offered some sort of incentives/deals to rejoin?

The only incentive Netflix has offered me to rejoin was $10 off the first month. They sent me an email about the offer last month. However, this incentive was too paltry to even consider.

As a former subscriber, Netflix would like to extend you this special offer so you can experience all of the improvements Netflix has made since you've been away. With $10 off your first month back, there has never been a better time to rejoin Netflix than now.

Peep 01-29-04 03:38 PM

Re: Free DVD Rental Trials

Originally posted by gkleinman
2 Weeks Free at NicheFlix.com</a> (DVDs from around the world)
Has anybody tried their service? I'm especially interested in multi-region discs and they seem like the only ones who offer them.

taronga 02-10-04 12:12 PM

For Wal-Mart employees (and their spouses), you can now use your 10% discount at walmart.com. It can be used with the DVD rental program.

http://www.walmart.com/associates

philo 02-13-04 06:11 PM

I signed up for the Walmart 30 day trial but I won't be renewing. Everything started out fine at first with an average of 2 days each way for movies to be sent out then returned. Now in the past couple of weeks, things have been taking much longer. One movie I will probably have to report as lost since tomorrow is the 6th day and it still hasn't arrived. Another I sent back hasn't been received yet and its been over 3 days, very unusual considering the fast turn around of my first 4 films. I have yet to lose anything in the mail so I wonder if its some sort of incompetence at Walmart's end of things. Either way these delays are something I'm not interested in continuing.

colt4523 02-20-04 11:18 PM

I just cancelled my 2 week trial membership with netflix and received the 3 and 6 month deals. Since they have a distribution center 1 1/2hrs away (Lansing), I decided to give them a try for 3 months. For the 2 week trial I got 6 movies. I just wished they would work on saturdays.

PlumPeach 02-21-04 07:10 AM

I just signed up at mentura.com for a 30 day free trial. They specialize in educational DVDs, but they also have mainstream movies. Since it's free I decided to give it a try. I'll post my experiences.

Peep 02-27-04 12:59 AM

Originally posted by DJKareBear
The discs are packed 2 per package so you will be returning and receiving 2 discs each time. Also they have this awesome "advance return" feature that allows you to request for the next 2 DVD's available on your rental queue when eligible (for more info, read the FAQ at eHit.com).

I read the FAQ and this is all I saw about the Advance Return:

Use advance return for faster shipping?
Our unique advance return function was built for any members that might experience long shipping and receiving. Advance return reports to us online that the mail is on its way back to us. We then ship you your next rentals.

But I can't figure out how to access it. Does it only work for people far from the distribution center? I'm still on my 2-week trial.

philo 02-28-04 10:50 PM

Just started on the NetFlix free trial and already I'm impressed. First off I couldn't believe how many films they have listed as immediately available. With Walmart, more than half my choices were unavailable and I never saw them the entire month I signed up. These were older films too. With Netflix my first 3 films arrived the day after shipping. I don't expect that to be the case all the time though. Hopefully, it will be smooth sailing.

With this online renting I've already seen plenty of films that I know I would have regretted purchasing. I'll post my experience at the end of the NetFlix trial.

Peep 02-29-04 01:13 AM

Looks like the "advance return for faster shipping" kicks in automatically and becomes an option 7 days after each disc originally shipped. Kind of cool! Hopefully my discs will make it back before then and I'll get a new shipment without having to use it.

CrumpsBrother 03-09-04 01:00 AM

Re: Re: Free DVD Rental Trials

Originally posted by Peep
Has anybody tried their service? I'm especially interested in multi-region discs and they seem like the only ones who offer them.
Peep: A little late, but hopefully the info still helps...

I signed up for the free NicheFlix offer and overall found the service to be good for hard to find stuff. Selection was decent, with most of the stuff you've read about on these boards available through them. However, their wesbite was somewhat of a pain to navigate, and worse, turnaround time was 7 days EACH WAY for me (I live in L.A.). So the max I could churn in a month would be 6 disks. Not worth it for me...

taronga 03-09-04 07:33 AM

Has anyone used MovieZip.com? There's no free trial and their selection seems rather ordinary, but I've been looking for an Ohio-based rental place since most of my mail seems to go through Cincinnati.

I tried Mentura's trial last year and was rather pleased. I might have stuck with them if they had an east coast distribution center. I'm on Netflix's trial right now and it's taking as long if not longer than Mentura.

Update: My first batch of DVDs from Netflix took 3-4 days both ways, but since then it's down to 2 days. I've renewed for 6 months for $14.95.

stingermck 03-09-04 11:16 AM

I'm on a netflix trial. Put movies in my que on Monday, arrived today on Tuesday. Impressive so far.

philo 03-11-04 12:51 AM

Just finished my 2 week trial at Netflix. Excellent turn around so far with most discs taking a day each way. Ended up with 9 during the trial. Compare that to 8 discs sent by Walmart in 30 days, and the 8th was the same movie I'd just seen.

Just about everything I've added has been available so it will be interesting to see whether this changes as I rent more.

I renewed for 3 months using the cancellation info posted above to get the reduced price. Really loving this service so far. There's been a few older titles I was surprised they didnt have but this sure beats video stores in my area. It's also saved me from many blind buys I'd have never watched again.

JangoJason 03-11-04 01:06 PM

Anyone signed up for free trail periods under assumes aliases? I am now in my 3rd free trial with netflix,..used my name and wifes name and 3 different credit cards and addresses.

On my first trial i canceled after 5 days and they extended my trail by 2 weeks.

On my 2nd trail (under wifes name) I cancelled on the last day and was only offered a discount for contunuing.

Just started my 3rd trial,..might try to end it earlier so i get an extended free trail.

Been renting Star Trek TNG,..have been able to get first 3 seasons!

gnradd21 03-12-04 11:27 PM

Originally posted by JangoJason
Anyone signed up for free trail periods under assumes aliases? I am now in my 3rd free trial with netflix,..used my name and wifes name and 3 different credit cards and addresses.

On my first trial i canceled after 5 days and they extended my trail by 2 weeks.

On my 2nd trail (under wifes name) I cancelled on the last day and was only offered a discount for contunuing.

Just started my 3rd trial,..might try to end it earlier so i get an extended free trail.

Been renting Star Trek TNG,..have been able to get first 3 seasons!

I hope no one working for Netflix is roaming the board :D . I try to keep my secrets for getting multiple free trials on the dl.

mmconhea 03-16-04 09:16 AM

Just signed up for a free month (2 out at a time) at DVDbarn.com Only one shipping location, but free.

yashan 03-16-04 07:19 PM

Has anyone in the West Coast used http://www.greencine.com ?

PlumPeach 03-16-04 09:58 PM

I just ended my free trial with Mentura. Overall I was pretty happy with the month free trial as I did get 11 DVDs during the month's time. Shipping was a little slow, but understandable since I'm in the Midwest and they're based in California. Good selection of educational DVDs, but they also have many of the mainstream titles.