Reload this Page >

Free DVD and Game Rental Trials and Offers

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Free DVD and Game Rental Trials and Offers

Old 05-02-03, 05:09 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eHit - http://www.ehit.com/ DVD Talk Linkified

eHit.com is highly recommended for anyone into Hong Kong Cinema or foreign, Asian releases (although they do have the basic mainstream American titles to rent if you're just looking for another "netflix-like" rental facility) . Bear in mind that a few of their Chinese DVD's are a different region so be careful of DVD selection (unless you have a region-free player). They have a decent selection and the delivery rate is from 3-4 days.

Their trial period is for 2 weeks, after which, if you choose to continue, they will charge $9.95 for the remainder 2 weeks, AND THEN the typical rental fee of "$19.95 for 4 discs out at a time" will apply thereafter per month.

The discs are packed 2 per package so you will be returning and receiving 2 discs each time. Also they have this awesome "advance return" feature that allows you to request for the next 2 DVD's available on your rental queue when eligible (for more info, read the FAQ at eHit.com).

I really enjoyed their services and I would recommend ehit to everyone!
Old 05-06-03, 08:54 AM
Cool New Member

has anyone tried www.dvdovernight.com ?

their website doen'st look too bad and they also have adult titles for those interested.

the only drawback is that rentals are weekly, but some people probably perfer that.
Old 05-06-03, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by slocko
has anyone tried www.dvdovernight.com ?

their website doen'st look too bad and they also have adult titles for those interested.

the only drawback is that rentals are weekly, but some people probably perfer that.
Yes, they're excellent. I've used them many times over the past few years. Good place if you're looking for a rental here and there rather than the all you can view buffet plans.
Old 05-06-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had 2 DVDs from Filmacaddy that never arrived (they supposedly shipped on the 18th, about 2.5 weeks ago). I canceled after my free month yesterday. I received an email from Amy @ filmcaddy letting me know that they got my message and would note that I never received my DVDs, and a polite request to mail them back to them if I receive them. Good customer service, kudos for that. Don't hesitate to give them a try, maybe you will have better luck.

Still recommend greencine if you like anime, independent films, documentaries, classic movies, etc (non-blockbuster types of stuff).
Old 05-21-03, 09:48 PM
Flexplay Shill

better alternative to renting?

i posted in another thread, but do you guys know anything about the new dvds that only last for a few days after they are opened? i heard they are gonna be cheap, and almost better than renting dvds. what do you think?
Old 05-23-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised so many of you are having a good experience with Filmcaddy. I've been a trial member for 3 weeks now and have only received 4 DVDs...and 3 out of 4 of these were old releases. Only one new release sent to me so far out of a list of about a dozen.

Needlesstosay, I will be cancelling at the end of my trial membership.
Old 05-27-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FilmCaddy is problematically slow, which is compounded by the fact that they don't process returns on Saturday.
Old 05-27-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a code in Netflix's recent annual report for you stock holders out there. It's supposed to be for an "extended" free trial offer. No, i don't know exactly what the offer is.
Old 06-07-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by serene
My library(Woodbridge,NJ) charges $1 for DVD's and VHS for 3 days. Thats not bad , but they charge $2 late fee per day.
Though the Documentary and Educational videos are free , the late fee applies to them as well.

You don't know how hard I gasped when I read you go to the same library as I do!! Holy crap what a small world!! (Aren't those late fees outrageous?! They get me everytime!!)

Last edited by scroll2b; 06-10-03 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-09-03, 10:50 PM

I'm loving the Film Caddy trial, I've been getting discs quick and while The Pianist is on "Long Wait" at Netflix it's on its way to me from Film Caddy with no wait at all. I would switch but they don't have TV shows and there's a lot of them I'd like to rent. :\
Old 06-10-03, 09:26 PM

It seems that Walmart offers now only 2 DVDs out at a time during the free rental trial.
Old 06-10-03, 09:29 PM

Greencine shipped the first DVDs by the first class with 55c postage, but later started shipping everything using third class with 37c stamps postage on send and return envelopes.
Old 06-11-03, 09:08 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Can anyone confirm receiving a Wal-Mart rental from a distribution center other than Georgia. The following article states that they now have six distribution centers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press
Wal-Mart Starts Online DVD Rental Plan
Tuesday June 10, 5:50 pm ET
By Douglas Pils, Associated Press Writer
Wal-Mart Starts Online DVD Rental Plan in Attempt to Catch Up With Market Leader Netflix Inc.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- After a seven-month trial, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has begun full-scale operations in its online DVD rental business, hoping to catch up with market leader Netflix Inc.
Customers order the movies online. Wal-Mart sends them from six distribution points, reaching 90 percent of the nation within two days, the company says.

"I think customers are really responding to the convenience of renting online," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Cynthia Lin said Tuesday.

Lin said the company's increased sales of DVD players pushed the Bentonville, Ark.-based company to join Netflix and Blockbuster, which started its service last summer.

Netflix spokeswoman Lynn Brinton said Wal-Mart and Blockbuster will end up in a battle for the No. 2 spot. Netflix, based in Los Gatos, Calif., has 1 million members.

"We're not sure what Wal-Mart has, but we're sure it's a fraction of that. Until Wal-Mart hits 100,000 they won't be a threat," Brinton said.

Lin wouldn't say how many subscribers Wal-Mart served during its test or how many have signed up since. During the trial period, the service cost $18.86 per month for DVDs mailed from Carrollton, Ga.

Now, there are three price plans, starting at $15.54 for unlimited monthly rentals with a maximum of two out at a time. To keep three or four movies, the subscriptions will cost $18.76 and $21.94.

Wal-Mart has 13,000 movie titles and it will have distribution points in Arkansas, California, Georgia, Indiana, Nevada and New York. Lin said the retailer plans more in the future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried them for a couple of months back in January and December and found the turnaround times to be quite erratic. I would send two discs back on the same day, yet there might be a 2-3 days difference in when they were "received" by the distribution center.
Old 06-11-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

During my Wal-Mart trial they screwed up and mailed me 7 on the same day. However, the delivery time ranged from 2 days to 10 days. That's mainly my hesitation with online rentals. Along with having to wait for them to receive them back. My experience has been a 7-14 day turn around time (that's just not acceptable).
Old 06-14-03, 09:56 AM
tle

Hitflix

Has anyone tried Hitflix.com yet?
Old 06-16-03, 11:55 PM
Cool New Member

How do different companies deal w/ scratched DVDs? When I was part of netflix there was basically no compensation. I returned the DVD and they sent another one (no cross shipping), so basically anytime I rented a movie and it was scratched it was my loss in time. Has that changed?
Old 06-17-03, 09:07 AM
Cool New Member

the one time i had a bad disk, i wrote to customer service and they gave me a bonus disk to use outside of my plan.
Old 06-17-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Singhal
I returned the DVD and they sent another one (no cross shipping), so basically anytime I rented a movie and it was scratched it was my loss in time. Has that changed?
I received an unplayable disc from Netflix only once in the past year. I think it was a Friday afternoon when I went to their website to report it as unplayable. Within 2 hours, they had notified me that a replacement disc was on the way, and I received it the next day. Excellent service.
Old 06-26-03, 06:03 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's something interesting....Netflix was recently awarded a patent for their rental distribution system (http://www.boston.com/dailynews/175/...tent_on:.shtml).

They haven't yet decided if they are going to legaly go after all the other providers such as Wal-mart and Blockbuster.
Old 06-30-03, 05:54 PM
Cool New Member

99 claims is a bit much, I hope they choke on it...
Old 07-17-03, 06:24 PM

Alrighty then, I'm checking out a few of these deals. I tried Netflix way back in the day when I first got my player and they had 30 day/4 film trials.

I just finished with Wal-Mart . I did receive movies from at least 3 different locations: California, Nevada, and Georgia. I think I got 8 in the month trial. They were not that quick. It took a few days for rentals to arrive and I would send them back immediately. Then a few more days before another would be sent. Their queue info seems good, but I would frequently see most titles on my list showing available now only to receive something from the bottom of my list when titles actually shipped.

I am trying Film Caddy now. I was very impressed by their speed. I signed up and started selecting titles for my queue, stopped for a phone call, and found two of the titles had already shipped! However, all is not roses. As previously posted, their queue offers no information regarding status of a title. And here is another significant flaw: they do not ship any special features disks! I received Spirited Away and sent an email because I only got disk 1. They replied quickly only to inform me that "At this time, bonus discs are not available as part of our rental service. The availability of checking out the bonus material discs as a standard rental, will be available in the near future."

This seems absurd to me. I will never pay for an account with them due to this issue.
Old 07-18-03, 08:10 AM
Cool New Member

netflix has improved tremondously. if you are lucky and have a warehouse near you, the turn around time is fast.

my only gripe is that they don't give you a link that lists movies currently in the theaters. i have to pull up listings on another site to see what i want to add to netflix that is currently playing in the theaters.
Old 07-24-03, 06:12 PM

How easy is it to cancel Hitflix? Greencine? The whole cancellation process done completely online or is it a couple of clicks and then get a phone number to call (No big deal for me, just wondering)?

I already did the Netflix trial (which was a long time ago) and I use dvdovernight from time to time. They are good when they have the movies you want, and I've mailed a couple of rental pairs back a day or two after the date on the envelope with no late fees (with DVDO)

----

Looking through the 2 sites, it appears you can do it completely online.

Last edited by mike1977; 07-25-03 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-25-03, 05:07 PM

i just signed up with the walmart dvd rental to give it a try and though it's only been a week i have had excelent turnaround time. and it's 30 free trial. i'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes. if it's good i'll stick with it, if not i'll go back to netflix, had them before and all was good.
Old 07-25-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LuisL
i just signed up with the walmart dvd rental to give it a try and though it's only been a week i have had excelent turnaround time. and it's 30 free trial. i'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes. if it's good i'll stick with it, if not i'll go back to netflix, had them before and all was good.
I just cancelled my trial membership with Wal-Mart just before the 30 day period ended. Why? Well, their selection isn't that great, the turnaround time was adequate at best and they ship movies in random order from your queue (very annoying). Plus, did I mention that their selection isn't that great?

All told, despite the way I ordered my queue, I only received two movies (out of eight that I received, I think) that I really wanted to see. Although the ones I wanted were supposedly available, they shipped titles lower down in the queue.

All-in-all, I'm glad I got eight free rentals. I would never have paid to see some of them, but free is free.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.