DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Star Blazers series 2 prices (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/259393-star-blazers-series-2-prices.html)

pork-chop123 12-24-02 01:25 AM

Star Blazers series 2 prices

Anyone know where you can get the series 2 box set cheaper than the $125.00 that starblazers.com is asking?

tofu 12-24-02 01:46 AM

MovieGallery.com sells it for $101 (Check dvdpricesearch.com for other vendors)

El-Kabong 12-24-02 02:34 AM

If you hang on a bit, I'm certain that DDD will probably carry it for about 90 or so. It took 'em a while, but they eventually got S1 in.

suomynona 12-24-02 07:13 AM

here.

BLATANT SITE REFERRAL REMOVED. SUO - YGM

CCPrescott 12-25-02 09:30 PM

I thought I remember DDD carrying season 1 as soon as it was released because I ordered it from them. But I could be wrong. Anyway, it might do some good to click on the contact us link and ask them to carry season 2. If they see that a lot of people want it they might stock it sooner. I know I'm one of the people that hopes they have it sooner rather than later.

Chris

Ruderic 12-25-02 10:11 PM

90 bucks is still alot for the quality of those DVDs.

beebs 12-26-02 03:42 PM

This is something you probably want for reasons other than reference quality video and sound. Lord knows, these transfers REALLY suck. But, for many I think this is the first science fiction anime they ever saw and was truly different than anything else on Television for kids at the time. Continuity, science fiction, big space battles. Certainly played off the success of Star Wars at the time.

As for bargains: I bought these disc by disc off Half.com using coupons. I think I got them all for $12-15 each, more or less, after the coupon. For the first set, I got them for right about $75 for the set, less the box.

For reference, the VHS (the horror!) quality is nearly identical... and will cost you a fraction of this from Half. I already have the rest of the series this way. Cost me like $50 after coupons for Series 2 and 3.

-Beebs

kevin75 12-26-02 03:57 PM

if you use the 15% coupon from FYE, i think that you can pick up series 2 for around $85 or so.

pork-chop123 12-27-02 04:55 PM

What is the 15% coupon?

Jah-Wren Ryel 12-27-02 05:52 PM

AMEXFYE15 - Amex usage is optional. Note automagic free shipping for orders over $49 too.

CCPrescott 12-27-02 09:45 PM

Beebs,
I don't ever see them remastering Star Blazers so getting this series on DVD would be archival for most of us. Since DVD's don't have the wear and tear that VHS has. Even if the transfers are bad.

Chris

P.S. Thanks to those posting the fye.com deal and the discount code. I'm getting it through them.

Ruderic 08-08-04 11:57 PM

This stuff is still expensive.

basaro 08-09-04 11:17 AM

I got a lot of my Star Blazers dvds from DeepDiscountDVD.com.

And if you wait until the next 20% off sale(probably december), they are less than $15 each, somewhere in the $14 range. The last two I bought from "Series 3" were $14.38 each shipped.

I bought these because I grew up on this early anime. Every day I would rush home with just enough time to catch the opening credits. While the transfers aren't great, the longevity of the dvd format was my reason to pick these up. And I had never seen most of the Bolar Wars series when I was a kid, so it was a chance to finally see them all complete. :)

aspikes 08-09-04 07:20 PM

I've been kicking myself for not purchasing Star Blazers series 1 during the DDD 20% off sale. The memories of my three older brothers and I running home from school to watch is priceless. Not only was this the greatest anime we ever watched, but we all watched it together. Man the memories! It was so cool for its time. I almost hate hear the transfer is so bad and you are right Ruderic it is still expensive. DDD has it for $ 89.98 plus free shipping and no tax. I targeted this at 50$ even but may have to bit the bullet and get at on the next DDD20% sale for 71.98.

aspikes 08-09-04 07:47 PM

Series 2 and 3 are the same price as series 1

Adrenaline 08-09-04 08:21 PM

Originally posted by aspikes
I've been kicking myself for not purchasing Star Blazers series 1 during the DDD 20% off sale. The memories of my three older brothers and I running home from school to watch is priceless. Not only was this the greatest anime we ever watched, but we all watched it together. Man the memories! It was so cool for its time. I almost hate hear the transfer is so bad and you are right Ruderic it is still expensive. DDD has it for $ 89.98 plus free shipping and no tax. I targeted this at 50$ even but may have to bit the bullet and get at on the next DDD20% sale for 71.98.
Same here, I still want to watch a couple since I haven't seen it years before I buy them.

kevin75 08-09-04 11:08 PM

i picked mine up during the 20% DDD sale last december. i would wait til then if possible. it will be much easier on your wallet. :)

Ruderic 08-10-04 06:12 PM

Just a shame that the price is so high for such a low quality transfer. Alot has to do with the fact they are so difficult to find since most B&M stores do not carry them.

honeybefly 08-12-04 03:20 PM

Series 3 is $89.99 this week at TRSI

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6.../60179/4/153/0