Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Old 04-19-24, 09:25 AM
  #301  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 761
Received 148 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Originally Posted by will travel


I miss the recent solar eclipse but I had this comic back in the day.
Love this. Jim Aparo and Norm Breyfogle are my all-time favorite Batman artists.
The following 2 users liked this post by HeIsTheZissou:
Inhumans99 (04-19-24), PhantomStranger (04-19-24)
Old 04-19-24, 09:57 AM
  #302  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Inhumans99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 4,919
Received 293 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

That is indeed a striking The Outsiders cover. The cover is crazy kinetic, and Breyfogle is also a fave artist of mine.
The following users liked this post:
HeIsTheZissou (04-19-24)
Old 04-19-24, 10:02 AM
  #303  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Inhumans99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 4,919
Received 293 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Spider, I love Ambush Bug and still have both his mini-series in my collection, along with a handful of other appearances in other titles. I remember buying the first mini-series off of the spinner racks they had in Walden Books way back in the day. My favorite color is green, so there is something about the character that just drew me to him. The stories in the mini-series are a bit of a hot mess but I still do love the character.

ETA: I am replying to an earlier post of Spider's where he put up the covers of the Ambush Bug mini-series
The following 3 users liked this post by Inhumans99:
ntnon (04-27-24), Spiderbite (04-19-24), Trevor (04-20-24)
Old 04-19-24, 02:09 PM
  #304  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,484
Received 1,204 Likes on 738 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

If you enjoy looking at a bunch of classic issues/covers in one spot that you can't, currently look at this link.

Comic Book & Art Auction Online - Buy or Sell | ComicLink
Old 04-19-24, 06:40 PM
  #305  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,615
Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Here's a fun one. The original cover art, which was lost in the mail for a while and had to be replaced, and then the replacement.

Original (repurposed for the Marvel Tales reprint years later) by John Romita. Replacement by Marie Severin (Romita inks).



The following users liked this post:
Lokimok (04-20-24)
Old 04-19-24, 10:22 PM
  #306  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,484
Received 1,204 Likes on 738 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

I definitely prefer the replacement.
Old 04-20-24, 10:17 AM
  #307  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,484
Received 1,204 Likes on 738 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

A handful of favorite Detective Comics covers of mine from around a similar time. I always wished Davis/Neary had done longer runs on Batman stuff. I always liked their art style.







The following 3 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
Lokimok (04-20-24), PhantomStranger (04-21-24), will travel (04-24-24)
Old 04-20-24, 03:48 PM
  #308  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Lokimok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 1,699
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

"We'll see about that, Satan!" might be my new catchphrase. Love that Ghost Rider cover. & the yellow background is so 70s. In that first GR cover (74), the flames are drawn the way most would draw melted cheese - so Ghost Rider is escaping a giant pizza while Dracula unleashes the power of grape soda? Just another Saturday night at my house.

I remember Jim Aparo taking some hits a few years ago, but he is pretty much my Batman artist. He was involved with most of the issues I got in those "Whitman Sampler" 3 packs from department stores as a wee lad in the 70s & when I got serious with the monthlies in the 80s, he was still there getting it done.

I'm sorry I missed that Alan Davis Detective comic. Looks fun. I don't think I started buying Detective till a few months later.


The following 2 users liked this post by Lokimok:
Spiderbite (04-21-24), will travel (04-24-24)
Old 04-21-24, 12:28 PM
  #309  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,484
Received 1,204 Likes on 738 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

I love the artwork in these but it is an extreme comic!





Old 04-22-24, 09:35 AM
  #310  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,484
Received 1,204 Likes on 738 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Anyone have any Little Archie? I had a bunch of these as a kid.





Old 04-22-24, 03:29 PM
  #311  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 23,829
Received 2,412 Likes on 1,626 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Anyone remember this UG comic? (name was changed to simply "Cherry" after the second issue due to legal threats from Kellogg's). I managed to score the first few issues back in the 80s even though I was under 18, good times!




Old 04-23-24, 08:06 AM
  #312  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,484
Received 1,204 Likes on 738 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

I had this as a kid along with all my Christian Archie comics. My dad also gave me the book as a kid along with the companion bio Run Baby Run. The books were quite graphic and violent which probably assisted my fascination with gangs and watching movies/documentaries that deal with the subject to this day. I think it had the opposite effect my dad wanted because I would only read all the graphic stuff and then quit reading once the main character got "saved." Oops.

The novel shown in the movie poster was the one I had along with the book below. Must have been a popular subject at the time because I found this other comic book for Run Baby Run while searching!

The girl's face in the first comic always made me laugh, even as a kid.

I also have a memory of my Dad showing the movie at church starring Erik Estrada and Pat Boone. This was back when films were sent (on film!) and you had to own or borrow a reel projector to play it. It was quite the scandal because it came with a warning that Estrada appeared in his tighty-whities and my Dad having to announce it to the church beforehand so people would know. his way the faint-hearted wouldn't come and be offended. Many members didn't even want him to show it strictly because of that scene. I believe in the future, who distributed it made a version with that scene either cut out or censored in some way.







Old 04-23-24, 08:10 AM
  #313  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,753
Received 2,122 Likes on 1,633 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I had this as a kid along with all my Christian Archie comics. My dad also gave me the book as a kid along with the companion bio Run Baby Run. The books were quite graphic and violent which probably assisted my fascination with gangs and watching movies/documentaries that deal with the subject to this day. I think it had the opposite effect my dad wanted because I would only read all the graphic stuff and then quit reading once the main character got "saved." Oops.

The novel shown in the movie poster was the one I had along with the book below. Must have been a popular subject at the time because I found this other comic book for Run Baby Run while searching!

The girl's face in the first comic always made me laugh, even as a kid.

I also have a memory of my Dad showing the movie at church starring Erik Estrada and Pat Boone. This was back when films were sent (on film!) and you had to own or borrow a reel projector to play it. It was quite the scandal because it came with a warning that Estrada appeared in his tighty-whities and my Dad having to announce it to the church beforehand so people would know. his way the faint-hearted wouldn't come and be offended. Many members didn't even want him to show it strictly because of that scene. I believe in the future, who distributed it made a version with that scene either cut out or censored in some way.
Initially I thought you were saying your dad gave you Cherry Poptart issues and I was like WTH.
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (04-27-24)
Old 04-23-24, 08:50 AM
  #314  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,484
Received 1,204 Likes on 738 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Originally Posted by fujishig
Initially I thought you were saying your dad gave you Cherry Poptart issues and I was like WTH.


He actually did paper my walls with cheerleader pictures/posters and gave me the famous Farah Fawcett poster as a very young kid (around 5). I always thought that he was doing this for "homosexual insurance" (what I called it when older as I realized why he was doing this when I was such a young age). He ended up burning all of them in front of me when I was around 8 because we had moved to a new church, and they had an open house. Church members saw the posters, shit their pants and had him remove them. They also complained about his miniature statue of Michelangelo's David because of the exposed penis.

So what better way to get rid of these than to burn them in a fire with me watching, explaining to me they were sinful...when he was the one who provided them. I actually cried about losing the FF poster at the time. I had such a crush on her. (He kept his David statue. No fire for him!)

Anyway...enough childhood trauma stories. On with more comic book covers...in the, ahem, spirit!










The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
ntnon (04-27-24), Trevor (04-24-24)
Old 04-23-24, 09:04 AM
  #315  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,753
Received 2,122 Likes on 1,633 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Ok now I have to look up Hansi.
The following 3 users liked this post by fujishig:
ntnon (04-27-24), PhantomStranger (04-23-24), Spiderbite (04-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 04:56 PM
  #316  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,874
Received 673 Likes on 496 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
He actually did paper my walls with cheerleader pictures/posters and gave me the famous Farah Fawcett poster as a very young kid (around 5). I always thought that he was doing this for "homosexual insurance" (what I called it when older as I realized why he was doing this when I was such a young age). He ended up burning all of them in front of me when I was around 8 because we had moved to a new church, and they had an open house. Church members saw the posters, shit their pants and had him remove them. They also complained about his miniature statue of Michelangelo's David because of the exposed penis.

So what better way to get rid of these than to burn them in a fire with me watching, explaining to me they were sinful...when he was the one who provided them.
This and the Erik Estrada underwear scandal (!!) are hilarious and heartbreaking in equal measure. Religion . . . what fun!

I see Hal Lindsay’s name on one of those comics, too. I wasn’t raised with religion after the age of about four (my folks simply got sick of doing it because other people expected them to, and were never devout to begin with, so I was spared a lifetime of commitment for the better), so I first came across Lindsay back in the days of VHS, in a fascinatingly crackpot documentary from the 70’s — the most prodigious era of crackpot documentaries before today’s insane over-abundance of them — called THE LATE GREAT PLANET EARTH, narrated by none other than Orson Welles. That doc is about as much of Lindsay as I can stand to this day, although I do own the Blu-ray because he was/is just so portentously bonkers, and not surprisingly none of his “prophesies” came to pass. I didn’t realize he did comics as well, but I guess it doesn’t surprise me in light of just how many churchy comics there were back then. Surely a great conman like Hal would want in on that action to get ‘em while they’re young.

I’m wondering if that “New World Coming” comic was tied into the movie, or just connected to what I’ve read is Lindsay’s broader end-of-the-world shtick.

Last edited by Brian T; 04-23-24 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (04-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 05:36 PM
  #317  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 22,824
Received 643 Likes on 372 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

I had that Cross and the Switchblade comic. No recollection of where I got it - back in the early 1970s ... I may still have it.
Old 04-23-24, 07:24 PM
  #318  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,615
Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Here's something I found yesterday. I'm a big Gil Kane fan, and found a used hardcover for Kane's work on this title. Not great writing, but the art was excellent for the time. Kane really getting to let loose in a way that DC wouldn't let him (Stan Lee and Marvel later would let him build on the more dynamic art style he used in this title from a small comic company that I had never heard of before).





There are some significant facial similarities between that creature and The Abomination, which Kane would co-create just a couple years later.
The following 2 users liked this post by B5Erik:
ntnon (04-27-24), Spiderbite (04-23-24)
Old 04-24-24, 06:55 AM
  #319  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,292
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Here's something I found yesterday. I'm a big Gil Kane fan, and found a used hardcover for Kane's work on this title. Not great writing, but the art was excellent for the time. Kane really getting to let loose in a way that DC wouldn't let him (Stan Lee and Marvel later would let him build on the more dynamic art style he used in this title from a small comic company that I had never heard of before).

There are some significant facial similarities between that creature and The Abomination, which Kane would co-create just a couple years later.
Tower Comics was started by publisher Harry Shorten who struck a deal with Wally Wood to basically let Wally loose to create characters and concepts for a new superhero comics line. The most notable product from this was T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents and its related characters (Dynamo & No Man) Undersea Agent came shortly later and ran six issues, at least four of which featured Gil Kane art. I think IDW released a collection around 2015 or so.
The following users liked this post:
B5Erik (04-24-24)
Old 04-24-24, 10:34 AM
  #320  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 23,829
Received 2,412 Likes on 1,626 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Originally Posted by fujishig
Initially I thought you were saying your dad gave you Cherry Poptart issues and I was like WTH.
Coolest father ever!

Originally Posted by Spiderbite


He actually did paper my walls with cheerleader pictures/posters and gave me the famous Farah Fawcett poster as a very young kid (around 5). I always thought that he was doing this for "homosexual insurance" (what I called it when older as I realized why he was doing this when I was such a young age). He ended up burning all of them in front of me when I was around 8 because we had moved to a new church, and they had an open house. Church members saw the posters, shit their pants and had him remove them. They also complained about his miniature statue of Michelangelo's David because of the exposed penis.

So what better way to get rid of these than to burn them in a fire with me watching, explaining to me they were sinful...when he was the one who provided them. I actually cried about losing the FF poster at the time. I had such a crush on her. (He kept his David statue. No fire for him!)
Yikes, that's horrible!


And what's with the religious comics having weird prices, 39 cents?

Old 04-24-24, 11:31 AM
  #321  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,484
Received 1,204 Likes on 738 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

As a kid, The Thing was my favorite character of the FF and his struggle of being a monster and missing his pre-Thing life always resonated with me.

Old 04-24-24, 12:50 PM
  #322  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

I used to have pretty much all those Christian comics. Parents felt guilty saying no I think, so could always score those over hit or miss on the regular newsstand books. Not sure about the odd price, but pretty sure they were cheaper than the independent stuff in the local head shop!
Old 04-24-24, 02:12 PM
  #323  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 23,829
Received 2,412 Likes on 1,626 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Originally Posted by Trevor
Not sure about the odd price, but pretty sure they were cheaper than the independent stuff in the local head shop!
Oh yeah, underground comix were always quite pricey in comparison to the mainstream comics, likely due to low print runs and lack of advertising.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (04-25-24)
Old 04-25-24, 07:51 AM
  #324  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,484
Received 1,204 Likes on 738 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Was always a fan of stuff like this when I was a kid. I was always happy when I stumbled across them at yard sales or thrift stores.





The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
Trevor (04-25-24), will travel (05-01-24)
Old 04-25-24, 10:05 AM
  #325  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

I have an unrealistic dream of someday owning all of the DC horror books of the 60s-80s. I was making good work on it but slowed down about 12 years ago and the prices have gotten a bit too high to seriously consider ever finishing.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (04-25-24)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.