DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   The “Do You Own Any of These” Game - Round 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/657295-%93do-you-own-any-these%94-game-round-2-a.html)

Trevor 02-11-23 06:26 PM

The “Do You Own Any of These” Game - Round 2

Starting week 2 a few hours early since I’ll likely be distracted by work and then the Super Bowl tomorrow.

Do you own, or have any thoughts/memories on these Marvel comics?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8e27d1d08.jpeg

RocShemp 02-11-23 07:52 PM

Re: The “Do You Own Any of These” Game - Round 2

Not a one. (Ditto for round one as well.)

Josh-da-man 02-11-23 07:55 PM

Only own the late 80s/early 90s prestige format reprint of that Incredible Hulk book.

But I do know that's the issue of Dr. Strange that got Marvel sued by Amy Grant!

rexinnih 02-11-23 11:03 PM

Ah, Hulk 181. I have a CGC 6.5 that I remember buying as a kid for $20. Not a bad investment. Also the Nick Fury #7. Don't have it graded but would estimate between 6.0 - 7.0. Love Steranko's work. Was a pleasure to meet him a few years back at a con.

Bronkster 02-12-23 12:01 PM

Bought the Spidey and Hulk off the stands. Sold the Hulk a few years ago for just under a grand.

movieguru 02-13-23 12:19 AM

I think I had a graded copy of the Nick Fury #7 at one point, but it would have been one I sold off at some point.

rw2516 02-13-23 06:13 AM

Had the Nick Fury one bought off the stands. I was about 9 years old. Long gone..

ytrez 02-13-23 10:08 AM

I have the She-Hulk and the Doctor Strange. In the 70s, I was treated to 2 comics from the newsstand after school let out on Friday. I was getting Hulk back then but a quick check on the internet shows that it was released July 31, 1974 with a cover date of November. Since it was summer time, less access to comics.

fujishig 02-13-23 10:09 AM

Had the She-hulk and Dr. Strange but otherwise would've had to pay a mint for the others, particularly Hulk.

cultshock 02-13-23 03:45 PM

Never owned any of those particular issues (I wish I owned Hulk #181) I bought a different issue of Spidey Super Stories back in the day, but even as a kid I thought it was too simple and basic ("Easy to Read" indeed, no thanks!) so I never picked up another one.

PhantomStranger 02-13-23 04:04 PM

I've owned all three on the bottom row at some point. I believe that's Byrne's She-Hulk run, which is one of the first comics I had read which was self-aware. Meta-comics are so much more common these days but Byrne's writing was real fun on that run.

That's an era of Dr. Strange which I enjoyed. Haven't read it in decades so I don't remember many details except to say it was on my pull list.

I didn't even like Wolverine that much but recognized pretty early in my collector days that Hulk issue would eventually command serious money. One of the few comic books I ever bought for an investment over reading material.

fujishig 02-13-23 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 14234518)
I've owned all three on the bottom row at some point. I believe that's Byrne's She-Hulk run, which is one of the first comics I had read which was self-aware. Meta-comics are so much more common these days but Byrne's writing was real fun on that run.

That's an era of Dr. Strange which I enjoyed. Haven't read it in decades so I don't remember many details except to say it was on my pull list.

I didn't even like Wolverine that much but recognized pretty early in my collector days that Hulk issue would eventually command serious money. One of the few comic books I ever bought for an investment over reading material.

I want to say Byrne's run started with an Original Graphic Novel too (like New Mutants)

ytrez 02-14-23 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 14234524)
I want to say Byrne's run started with an Original Graphic Novel too (like New Mutants)

The Byrne graphic novel was released in 1985 as #18 in the Marvel Graphic Novel line. She-Hulk was a member of the Fantastic Four at this time, Which Byrne was also writing & drawing.

The series didn't start until 1989 and had a different tone than the graphic novel, becoming more meta and humorous than traditional comics. Both are great IMO, at least as handled by Byrne. I didn't stick around for long post-Byrne but Bryan Hitch did some nice art on the series.

ytrez 02-14-23 08:40 AM

A bit of trivia: Jackson Guice apparently used an album cover image of Amy Grant for the background of the Dr. Strange #15 cover (pictured above). She didn't appreciate being associated w/ mysticism or vampires and sued Marvel saying that the cover would damage her standing in the Christian community. This resulted in an out-of-court settlement with a consent decree that Marvel did not admit to any liability or wrongdoing.

fujishig 02-14-23 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 14234820)
The Byrne graphic novel was released in 1985 as #18 in the Marvel Graphic Novel line. She-Hulk was a member of the Fantastic Four at this time, Which Byrne was also writing & drawing.

The series didn't start until 1989 and had a different tone than the graphic novel, becoming more meta and humorous than traditional comics. Both are great IMO, at least as handled by Byrne. I didn't stick around for long post-Byrne but Bryan Hitch did some nice art on the series.

Ah, cool. I just remember the graphic novel is where she permanently became She-Hulk, but I guess I read it really late because I didn't realize it was published prior to his going to DC and then the regular series was only after he returned full time to Marvel. It is pretty amazing how prolific Byrne was in Marvel in those days. Uncanny with a side of Avengers and Captain America, then on to FF with a side of Alpha Flight, then after going to DC (but still doing New Universe) doing Avengers West Coast, She-Hulk, Namor, etc.

Trevor 02-14-23 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 14234824)
A bit of trivia: Jackson Guice apparently used an album cover image of Amy Grant for the background of the Dr. Strange #15 cover (pictured above). She didn't appreciate being associated w/ mysticism or vampires and sued Marvel saying that the cover would damage her standing in the Christian community. This resulted in an out-of-court settlement with a consent decree that Marvel did not admit to any liability or wrongdoing.

To make sure this was shared was the only reason I picked that cover. I was a big Amy Grant fan back in that day, but not sure if I was aware of this at the time of release. I probably own it by now, will have to check.