RIP Alan Grant (Batman/Judge Dredd writer) at age 73

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-22, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
RIP Alan Grant (Batman/Judge Dredd writer) at age 73

The guy pretty much was THE 90s Batman writer

Batman and Judge Dredd Writer Alan Grant Dead at 73
Primarily known for his work on Batman in the '80s and '90s and 2000 AD, Grant's career spanned five decades.

Alan Grant had the kind of comics career that quickly becomes legendary. He started in the 60s, writing romance comics. Later, he teamed up with John Wagner to work on Tarzan and 2000 AD for IPC comics. After working on numerous horror/sci-fi titles, Grant and Wagner co-wrote Judge Dredd, which Grant worked on extensively in the 80s.

In the 80s, Grant proclaimed himself an anarchist and even wrote a Batman sidekick character, Anarky, with the hope of helping spread his political views through his art. According to an interview with Planeta DeAgostini, an Italian comics publisher, Grant was expecting Anarky to take over the Robin role, but Tim Drake, the third Robin, was already in development. He attempted to buy the rights to Anarky, but DC Comics refused.

One of his favorite Batman stories, according to the interview with Planeta DeAgostini, is the fight between Batman and Etrigan. “In the final part of the series, Batman is forced to battle against Etrigan, despite knowing that the fight can only end one way…in Batman’s own death. But Etrigan changes his mind and makes a little speech to Batman: “I like you, man. I like your style. I wonder what force stirs your bile. Eh? What dark demon drives you on, to fight when even hope is gone? Cheer up. It’s over. Go your own way – free. Because there’s something deep inside you, man, that’s very much like me!”

In 1992 Grant was honored by Comic-Con International with an Inkpot Award. According to the 2000 AD site, “He continued to work for 2000 AD throughout the 1990s, mainly on Anderson, Psi Division, where his partnership with artist Arthur Ranson produced incredibly beautiful stories such as Shamballa and Satan, and the three-volume series Mazeworld, inspired by three months he spent in prison for possession of half an LSD tablet in 1969.”

Although ill for some time, Alan continued to write. His last work for 2000 AD was a Judge Anderson story in 2018 and a war story in the Battle Special in 2020.
Old 07-21-22, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Re: RIP Alan Grant (Batman/Judge Dredd writer) at age 73

If you were of a certain age, Alan Grant was the Batman writer. Frank Miller might have written The Dark Knight Returns, and Alan Moore wrote The Killing Joke, but Grant (along with Wolfman) and Aparo and Breyfogle were the guys ably cranking out their regular adventures every month. They even made this Marvel fanboy start reading DC Comics when Burton's Batman ignited a wave of Batmania.

And Grant's contribution to Judge Dredd can't be underestimated, either.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
majorjoe23 (07-21-22), Spiderbite (07-22-22)
Old 07-21-22, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

RIP, another comic great lost this year.
Old 07-21-22, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Too young. I did not read his Batman stuff, but def my fair share of Dredd in 2000AD. RIP
Old 07-22-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If you were of a certain age, Alan Grant was the Batman writer. Frank Miller might have written The Dark Knight Returns, and Alan Moore wrote The Killing Joke, but Grant (along with Wolfman) and Aparo and Breyfogle were the guys ably cranking out their regular adventures every month. They even made this Marvel fanboy start reading DC Comics when Burton's Batman ignited a wave of Batmania.

And Grant's contribution to Judge Dredd can't be underestimated, either.
Grant and Breyfogle were my favorite Batman team of all time.

This really sucks seeing so many of the writers and artists I loved as a kid and teen die.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 07-24-22 at 12:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-25-22)
Old 07-22-22, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They even made this Marvel fanboy start reading DC Comics when Burton's Batman ignited a wave of Batmania.
This is exactly when and why I started reading Batman.

Grant and Breyfogle were a great duo.
Old 07-24-22, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Grant's work on Batman is seriously underrated. I often liked it more than O'Neil's Batman stuff.
Old 07-24-22, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

As a 90s teen Grant was the guy on Batman. Grant, Breyfogle, Aparo and Lyle, all my bat creators gone.