Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Sitcomics Binge Books (Stern, Frenz, Buscema, D. Henry)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 05-05-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Yeah, they may look a little goofy, but in reality these are some really FUN, well written comics with some great classic style art!

It's a new concept in comics. Instead of decompression and running a storyline out for 6 months (making it rather tedious to get through a story one issue at a time), these guys have decided to do 64 page stories of NON decompressed storytelling and put them all together in one issue, square bound like a trade.

And when you do have people like Roger Stern, Ron Frenz, Sal Buscema, and Darin Henry (Seinfeld, Futurama) creating them, you know you're talking about serious talent. My only gripe is they've gone a little overboard in the concept department (every character's name applies to business in one way or another), but aside from that little nitpick, these are some really great comics that, stylistically, are like 60's meet 70's comics, with some 80's thrown in for good measure. This is old school, fun, entertaining comic book writing and art. It's a breath of fresh air. Actually, it's not far removed from the MC2 universe that Tom DeFalco (working here as an advisor) and Ron Frenz created almost 25 years ago. They aren't aimed at kids (a lot of the plot points and characterization is actually fairly sophisticated), but like comics from the 70's kids can read them and they won't be inappropriate.

I love it.

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-05-22)
Old 05-05-22, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sitcomics Binge Books (Stern, Frenz, Buscema, D. Henry)

Here's a pretty well thought out (and just about spot-on) review...

https://www.wednesdaypull.com/post/p...ok-1-sitcomics
Old 05-06-22, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I didn't notice these right away and think I have the 3 pictured above (though maybe I have a different Blue Baron?). Anyway, they're fun books and I certainly recommend them if you're a fan of Frenz & Buscema & company.
The following users liked this post:
B5Erik (05-06-22)
Old 05-08-22, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Before he started soliciting thru Diamond, I use to buy copies of these comics directly from the owner (Darin Henry). Now I'm upgrading each title as he re-releases them - 1) To support a good line of books that feature creators that I love and 2) The upgrade to a Prestige Format-like packaging.

Old 05-16-22, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, so the next Startup hits Previews in June for an August release, and a new title, Headhunter, hits Previews in August for an October release. I'm going to hit a nearby store to pre-order those.

These things are so cool. I just wish each title came out every 3 months (well, bi-monthly would really be my preference). I can't wait for the next Blue Baron and Heroes Union, but Startup is REALLY good, and if Headhunter matches up to the other three titles it's going to be a fun read, too.