Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Play a game with me, who are your top comic creators?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics
Old 03-28-22, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Choices so far by day

Frank Miller
Neil Gaiman, Jack Kirby
Moebius, Jacques Tardi
Carl Barks, Paul Pope
any Buscema, Hernandez, Kubert, or Romita
Alan Moore, Grant Morrison
Berkeley Breathed, Bill Watterson
Neal Adams, David Mazzuchelli
Art Adams, Mike Allred, John Byrne, Paul Chadwick, Geoff Darrow, Dave Gibbons, Mike Mignola, Walt Simonson
Gerry Conway, Paul Dini, Steve Gerber, Russ Heath, Denny OíNeil, Roy Thomas, Bruce Timm, Marv Wolfman
Darwyn Cooke, George Perez
Warren Ellis, Jeff Lemire
Brian Azzarello, Brian Michael Bendis, Brian Bolland, Brian K Vaughan, Bryan Talbot
Alan Brennert, Milton Caniff, Alan Davis, Al Gordon, Alan Grant, Alan Kupperberg, Charles Schulz
Ross Andru, Steve Ditko, Gil Kane, Todd McFarlane
Ed Brubaker, Jack Davis, Garth Ennis, Frank Frazetta
Chris Claremont, Richard Corben, Keith Giffen, Brandon Graham, Geoff Johns, Dave McKean, Dave Stevens, Al Williamson
Bill Sienkiewicz, Wally Wood, Bernie Wrightson
Daniel Clowes, Katsuhiro Otomo, Gary Panter, Chris Ware
Simon Bisley, Jonathan Hickman, Stan Lee, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Rick Remender, Matt Wagner
Hal Foster, George Herriman, Walt Kelly, Gary Larson, Alex Raymond
Kurt Busiek, Matt Kindt, David Latham, Bob Layton, Jim Lee, Jimmy Palmiotti, Joe Quesada, Jim Shooter, Tim Truman, Mark Waid, Barry Windsor-Smith
Print Wikipost

Play a game with me, who are your top comic creators?

Old 04-03-22, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,010 Likes on 712 Posts
Re: Play a game with me, who are your top comic creators?

Calvin and Hobbes is classic. I enjoy it quite a bit, but it was never that important to me. No on Watterson.

I had to Google Berkeley Breathed. I know Bloom County, but it obviously never registered enough for me to remember the name of the creator. What can I say, outside of an obsession with Garfield when I was 8 or 9, I'm not a strip guy.
Old 04-03-22, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Surprised no one as yet had mentioned Kurt Busiek. Astro City is an amazing book, I need to go back and read them all again.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,048 Likes on 864 Posts

I hadn’t really thought about comic strips, and I could do a separate top 10 of those. I could throw Watterson in my list as a temporary first-out guy, but I think I’ll just pass.

Bloom County never really clicked with me.

Originally Posted by Eric F
Surprised no one as yet had mentioned Kurt Busiek. Astro City is an amazing book, I need to go back and read them all again.
There was a thread a while ago for naming your go-to creators, but the way most of us have been playing this game so far is to react to the nominations as they’re thrown out (plus peripheral conversation, of course). That said, there has been speculation about “leaving room” for favorites who might come later, and I thought of Robert Kirkman, who produced the only two current series I was reading as they came out, and that I read from beginning to end. I would be hard pressed to leave him off my list if he were to come up.
Old 04-03-22, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,912 Likes on 1,274 Posts

Today's selections make me write in Walt Kelly.
Bronkster (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trevor throws out names every morning and we vote yea or nay. Busiek's name hasn't been offered yet. That's just how the game works.
Old 04-03-22, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
How can you be an old school 70's fan and care so much about continuity? Do you complain because Superman can fly and Batman doesn't shoot people?
I was always more of a Marvel fan than a DC fan (although that's been changing over the last couple of years). And I don't really like Golden Age comics very much, so for most titles continuity starts in the late 50's or early 60's.

Marvel did a great job of keeping continuity until the 90's. It was a story arc that destroyed continuity that got me to STOP buying comics in the mid 90's. Peter was the original, and the clone died in ASM 149. The clone's body was burned shortly thereafter. The 90's Clone Saga was the blasphemous writings of a group of heretics who made the decision to claim that the clone wasn't the clone (but, wait, yes he was) and that he was still alive. ASM 147-150 is one of the key stories in the history of Spider-Man. Undoing that was all kinds of wrong.

So, yeah, I'm a staunch opponent to changing major events like that. (Hell, since I hadn't been buying comics I had no idea that they brought Norman Osborn back from the dead - and that wasn't the worst of that story!)

Also besides that Wikipedia reference, I have a hard time citing Moore as someone who throws away continuity at a whim, let alone make him responsible for something like One More Day. I don't remember who's on your list but if you hate Moore you have to hate Gaiman too because he messed with continuity... except both did it in a way to honor the past of the characters while simultaneously building on a mythology that the earlier creators couldn't have dreamed of. Even if you absolutely HATE retcons, this is the way to do a retcon.
I haven't read a word of any comic that Gaiman wrote. The only writing I'm familiar with from Gaiman is the Babylon 5 episode, "Day of the Dead," which is brilliant.

But from all I've read Moore is a weird guy. Like, disturbed weird. I'm just glad he had no interest in writing titles that I actually care about. But it sure seems that, based on how much people loved his work, and he made a serious change to the continuity of Swamp Thing, others were influenced by what he did and that's why we saw so many drastic, absurd changes to continuity at both Marvel and DC in the 90's and beyond.
Old 04-03-22, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Berkeley Breathed and Bill Watterson. Two comic strip creators whose work I loved when it came out, and still enjoy today.

But, no, they aren't on my list.

Oh, I read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow last night.

It's a good two-parter. Nothing earth shattering, and basically the template for DC's Elseworlds stories (OUTSIDE of continuity), but a well written two part story.

There are a couple more stories that he wrote in that collection, and I'll read those (although one of them was adapted for the Justice League cartoon, and I've seen that episode with my daughter, so I know the basics of that one).
John Pannozzi (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
But from all I've read Moore is a weird guy. Like, disturbed weird. I'm just glad he had no interest in writing titles that I actually care about. But it sure seems that, based on how much people loved his work, and he made a serious change to the continuity of Swamp Thing, others were influenced by what he did and that's why we saw so many drastic, absurd changes to continuity at both Marvel and DC in the 90's and beyond.
Your insistence on blaming Moore for the Clone Saga based on a random quote from Joe Rubenstein remains one of the more bizarre takes I've read on the internet in recent memory.
William Fuld (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Your insistence on blaming Moore for the Clone Saga based on a random quote from Joe Rubenstein remains one of the more bizarre takes I've read on the internet in recent memory.
Who before Moore threw out continuity and was universally praised for it? Is there another writer who you would say did something (anything) that led to all the continuity smashing changes of the 90's?

I honestly don't know, but I also don't know of anyone who actually changed events like that prior to Moore with Swamp Thing. The comic book industry is like Hollywood - once someone has a new idea 15 people copy it. And usually the copies are nowhere near as good as the original.

But you seem awfully defensive of Moore. As if one person NOT being all that interested in his work is going to somehow make a difference in how he or his work is viewed.

How about this, I would bet that Trevor would prefer that the Alan Moore discussion be taken elsewhere, so let's create a separate thread for that conversation.
Old 04-03-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 627 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Today's selections make me write in Walt Kelly.
Kelly would make my list, too!

Watterson? Yes. Calvin and Hobbes was classic when it was still new. Breathed? Nah.
Kurt D (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Who before Moore threw out continuity and was universally praised for it? Is there another writer who you would say did something (anything) that led to all the continuity smashing changes of the 90's?

I honestly don't know, but I also don't know of anyone who actually changed events like that prior to Moore with Swamp Thing. The comic book industry is like Hollywood - once someone has a new idea 15 people copy it. And usually the copies are nowhere near as good as the original.

But you seem awfully defensive of Moore. As if one person NOT being all that interested in his work is going to somehow make a difference in how he or his work is viewed.

How about this, I would bet that Trevor would prefer that the Alan Moore discussion be taken elsewhere, so let's create a separate thread for that conversation.
I'm not sure how it is for other people, but I'm fine with people not liking or holding in high esteem the same creators I do. I will speak up though if I feel like someone is drastically miscategorizing someone's work without having any familiarity with it. If some says "I was never a fan of Alan Moore, just never got into his stuff" that's fine, but if you go "oh and I think he's responsible for the Clone saga and other stuff I hate so I won't even go near him, plus he's a weirdo" well that to me prompts a discussion.

There have been tons and tons and tons of retcons before and after Moore, though, in both Marvel and DC. Usually these retcons even result in there being multiple Earths or a Crisis or event. Moore did not start this. It is a work for hire business (at least in the superhero world) and when you get hundreds of creators a shot to write their own stories, they're going to change things up, even things that are held in high regard, but I wouldn't blame Moore for that at all.

Yeah Busiek is awesome, Astro City is amazing, as is his Avengers run, Untold Tales of Spider-man, etc.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Day Seven Choices

Put your slippers on and grab that newspaper, itís Strip Sunday!

Are Bill Watterson or Berkeley Breathed in your top 10?

Does this question scare you into leaving spots open for later?
Initially when I asked if comic strips were eligible I was thinking of these two the most (while also recognizing that some would consider the legacy of schultz). Calvin and Hobbes is obviously a masterpiece, and I loved Bloom County. But the top 10 is crowded, and if I'm going to downgrade someone like Gaiman for not being prolific enough in the comics scene, I unfortunately probably have to discount Watterson, Breathed, even someone like Spiegelman.
John Pannozzi (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Alan Moore - I know the name, but not the work. I suspect I wouldn't like it much. This bit from Wikipedia turned me off from him, too...
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of writers who have no respect for continuity and throw it out the window because they think they're better than what came before, and what came before just didn't matter.

So, No to Alan Moore, too.
This is so disturbingly incorrect about Moore it hardly abides the telling. He didn't destroy what came before with Swamp Thing, he built upon it and recontextualized it in a way that not only respected the history and continuity, it improved it in such a way that not only the creators approved, so did readers.

His DC work in Vigilante, Green Lantern, Superman, Batman, and on never shit on what came before. It honored, respected, and built upon it.

Then you get to his ORIGINAL work, and well... there's a reason Alan Moore knows the score.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
John Pannozzi (04-03-22), Kurt D (04-03-22), majorjoe23 (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Day Seven Choices

Put your slippers on and grab that newspaper, itís Strip Sunday!

Are Bill Watterson or Berkeley Breathed in your top 10?

Does this question scare you into leaving spots open for later?
Love both to death. Not comics, so they are not applicable to my list.

Now if you had a list of Top 10 comic strip creators, well... that'd be #1 and #2 easy.
Old 04-03-22, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

I like Bloom County, but itís pretty dated today. Calvin & Hobbes 100% still holds up today. My 10-year-old loves to read it, but she would be lost on a lot of BC.

Waterson, Walt Kelly and Schultz would probably be the only comic strip artists I would include on my list.
John Pannozzi (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 841 Likes on 708 Posts

Busiek will be a very tough call for me when his name is eventually brought up. Astro City is one of my all-time favorite comics and I've generally loved his work with Marvel. But he's on the edge of my top ten. Another name which will be tough for me is J. Michael Straczynski.
Old 04-03-22, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Busiek will be a very tough call for me when his name is eventually brought up. Astro City is one of my all-time favorite comics and I've generally loved his work with Marvel. But he's on the edge of my top ten. Another name which will be tough for me is J. Michael Straczynski.
Yeah, for me, the writers I'm strongly considering are Stan Lee, Len Wein, Gerry Conway, and Marv Wolfman. I love JMS, but some of the stuff he wrote on ASM (radical changes/retcons - some his idea, some not) really didn't work for me. When JMS is on, there's no one better. But some of those changes that were made during his run really turned me off.

So it's Lee, Wein, Conway, and Wolfman as far as writers. Maybe I'm forgetting someone...
Old 04-03-22, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 627 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I like Bloom County, but itís pretty dated today. Calvin & Hobbes 100% still holds up today. My 10-year-old loves to read it, but she would be lost on a lot of BC.

Waterson, Walt Kelly and Schultz would probably be the only comic strip artists I would include on my list.
My list - were I to have one - would include those three plus Garry Trudeau for Doonsebury.
Old 04-03-22, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,912 Likes on 1,274 Posts

The list of comic strip creators that doesn't include Cathy Guisewite is a damned list.
Old 04-03-22, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

If youíre looking for a comic creator who threw out continuity and was praised for it earlier than Moore, Stan Lee is the man.

He brought back Captain American and Sub Mariner in the 60s, ignoring their 1950s material and retconning their disappearances.
Old 04-04-22, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I bought all of the collections of the Calvin & Hobbes and Bloom County strips but neither creator makes it into my top 10. Certainly on a list of comic strip cartoonists (along with Gould, Schulz, Kelly, Larson, McCay, Herriman, Segar, and Manning) but not on my all-time favorite comics creators.

Still going with:
Jack Kirby
Frank Miller
Jaime & Gilbert Hernandez
Joe Kubert
Alan Moore
Old 04-04-22, 07:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Day Seven Response and Wrap—Up

Strip creators being included really threw me for a loop. Had not expected that at all.

When I really think about it, comic strips are almost as important to shaping my life as comic books. They were partially a gateway to the usual more complex and longer story-telling form I guess. When I was a kid, literally everyone read the newspaper, or at least the comics. My parents, sister and I would read them at the breakfast table every morning. Kids and teachers would talk about them at school. We’d cut them out and make our own comic books out of them. Sure, comic books were ubiquitous too, but comic strips were much more universal. Every kid and adult read and talked about them.

I had ‘graduated’ from strips and into serious and less big-two comics as I started college, but then Calvin and Hobbes came around and blew my mind. What I can say about Bill Watterson’s touching work and brilliant line that hasn’t been said countless times before? His work has affected me more than perhaps any other comic creator.

That said, my (mostly mental) top ten list was already too full. So, for now, I’m forcing myself to not include strip creators here, even though comics are comics and strip creators deserve to be in the mix. Each day I’m closer to changing my mind on this though. I think Watterson will end up being my 10(1?).

Breathed is a favorite too, probably lower top ten if I included only comic strips.

My list so far:
Frank Miller
Jack Kirby
Carl Barks
Alan Moore
Old 04-04-22, 07:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Day Eight Choices

Let’s just get to some serious comics decisions to kick of the week.

Today I’m asking if David Mazzuchelli or Neal Adams are in your Top 10?
Old 04-04-22, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Adams is a hell yeah for me.
Old 04-04-22, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Mazuchelli is a no. Adams is a "clinging on for dear life." So instrumental in comics history and with a killer artstyle for the time, but man it's hard to separate that from the off-the-wall-ness of present day Adams, and he turned in his best work probably before I was born.
majorjoe23 (04-05-22)
Old 04-04-22, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Neil Adams makes my list so far, without question. His work on Batman is as essentially iconic to the character as that of Bob Kane, Bill Finger, Denny O'Neil, Frank Miller, etc. His Green Arrow redesign is one of the best superhero costumes ever. And of course his GA/GL work, although admittedly it's really dated by today's standards (but isn't everything).

Dave Mazuchelli I enjoyed his Batman: Year One work, but I know little of it outside of that, so pass.

So for now it's:

Frank Miller
Jack Kirby
Neil Gaiman
Grant Morrison
Alan Moore
Neil Adams

It's going to be interesting once I have to start bouncing people off.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.