Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Wonder Woman

Old 03-27-22, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Wonder Woman

So the current health situation with George Perez has brought renewed attention to the first comic that he did as a writer, not just as an artist - his reboot of Wonder Woman.

It is a run that is generally considered to be either the best or 2nd best run that the title has ever seen, and having read about 12 or 13 issues in the first Omnibus I definitely agree with that. But that got me interested in other eras for the character. If you go back to the 60's she's treated pretty poorly. Too much concern about her love interest has her accepting a subordinate role in those relationships, plus it kind of fits the issue of the time - women defined by their boyfriends or husbands. That doens't fit a character like Wonder Woman at all. And, like most DC titles in the 60's the title was written for kids.

But then in 1968 Denny O'Neil and Mike Sekowsky came up with a new vision for Wonder Woman. A complete reworking of the character. A radical reworking. A run that lasted five years - and a run that I didn't even know about until 6 months ago when I read a Brave and the Bold story with Batman teaming up with the, "New," Wonder Woman. Needless to say, I was confused. But while I was confused, I kind of liked the take on the character.

This was a fascinating shift. Wonder Woman chooses to stay in man's world when the other Amazons temporarily leave Earth. As part of her decision to stay, she loses her powers. She's just an ordinary woman, physically. But mentally she's still Wonder Woman, and she wants to help people and stop the bad guys. But de-powered she has to re-learn how to fight, and she is taught martial arts by an old Jedi master named Yoda, errr... A martial arts master named I-Ching. She becomes a private investigator/spy in the Emma Peel, Modesty Blaise mode, and she rather kicks ass - anyone's ass who tries to stop her.

The story goes that Gloria Steinem was pissed and lobbied DC to re-power Wonder Woman. Yeah, she's not much of a, "Superhero," without the powers, but she's super as a hero without them - and she doesn't need them to get the job done. That's what Steinem and other feminists of the day missed. This was an ordinary woman who could kick ass and take names. She could take on a guy much bigger and stronger than her and still kick his ass. Without powers. It was an intersting run for sure.

Now, that run wasn't without it's flaws. She still was subordinate to her male teacher and mentor, but that wasn't so much because of gender, but because of his age, experience, and wisdom (something else the feminists of the day missed). But the flaws really centered around gender roles of the day, which were still pretty repressive for women. She, at times (not real often, but occasionally), could seem a little childlike and lost - in need of that guidance from I-Ching. At other times she still seemed a little overly worried about her love life and things of that nature.

Still, overall, it was a good, entertaining run.

After that the Wonder Woman title became a bit generic. Not quite as backwards as it had been in the 50's and 60's, but not where Marvel would have had it. Then after Crisis on Infinite Earths George Perez rebooted the series in a big way, and that run was sophisticated and bold. It was the take of the character on which the first Wonder Woman movie was largely based. Great stuff.

Then not too long after Perez left the title John Byrne had a run on the title, and he did a good job. Not the best that he had done, but very good. He found a middle ground between the 70's and early 80's take on the character, and what Perez had done.

That's about all I'm familiar with. I know there are other good runs. I may be interested in buying a trade or hardcover to check out some of the better ones.

But it certainly is interesting how the character has changed over the years.

The following 2 users liked this post by B5Erik:
Spiderbite (03-27-22), Trevor (03-28-22)
Old 03-28-22, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 837 Likes on 705 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman

Outside of Perez, I'm not sure any of her runs have been all that popular. She works great in the Justice League and other team/event books, but DC has always had problems managing her solo adventures.

They just came out with her first Silver Age Omnibus.
Old 04-02-22, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I collected the late 80’s/90’s run for a while, I thought it was just OK. It wasn’t just Wonder Woman, I think DC has had a hard time figuring out what to do with a lot of their female characters.
Old 04-02-22, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,042 Likes on 859 Posts

I liked the Gene Colan run.
Old 04-03-22, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 837 Likes on 705 Posts

If I ever got a crack at Wonder Woman, I'd do something off the wall. Maybe stick her for a couple years in the 31st Century with the Legion. Or dump her off in the past with a couple recognizable historical figures.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
If I ever got a crack at Wonder Woman, I'd do something off the wall. Maybe stick her for a couple years in the 31st Century with the Legion. Or dump her off in the past with a couple recognizable historical figures.
Have her team up with Kamandi.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (04-03-22)
Old 04-04-22, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,145 Likes on 699 Posts

I loved Byrne's take on Superman with his Man Of Steel era but I wasn't a fan of his Wonder Woman.

I pretty much like anything Byrne does but I was bored to death by his WW stuff. Sold it as soon as I read it.
Old 04-07-22, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 120 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Have her team up with Kamandi.
Wonder Woman did meet Kamandi in JUSTICE LEAGUE #32, 2019.

Old 04-07-22, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I loved the Perez issues, particularly when he was penciling and much less so when Chris Marrinan picked up the art. I quit the book in the early #30s and came back for the John Byrne issues (starting w/ #101, I think) but I've never gotten around to reading them.

I've wanted to read the O'Neil and Sekowsky powerless run but I never get around to it.

I've picked up the odd TPD here and there but nothing has held my interest. The early Perez run was the character's heyday as far as I can determine and I've not seen anything to draw me back in since.
Old 04-07-22, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I loved Byrne's take on Superman with his Man Of Steel era but I wasn't a fan of his Wonder Woman.

I pretty much like anything Byrne does but I was bored to death by his WW stuff. Sold it as soon as I read it.
His Wonder Woman was... not as good as his Superman. At least part of it, to me, was that his artstyle somehow changed... I'm still not sure if it's because Austin or whoever wasn't inking him but his Wonder Woman looked gaunt at times. He did introduce Cassie/Wonder Girl, though Peter David and others completely changed her for later use. And I thought he had some decent Silver-agey solutions for stuff like golden age Wonder Woman and the invisible plane.