Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

George Perez reveals he has inoperable cancer (Update: Dead at 67)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 12-07-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 914 Likes on 591 Posts

Legendary Marvel And DC Comics Artist George Perez Reveals He Has Inoperable Cancer

On November 29th I received confirmation that, after undergoing surgery for a blockage in my liver, I have Stage 3 Pancreatic Cancer. It is surgically inoperable and my estimated life expectancy is between 6 months to a year. I have been given the option of chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy, but after weighing all the variables and assessing just how much of my remaining days would be eaten up by doctor visits, treatments, hospital stays, and dealing with the often stressful and frustrating bureaucracy of the medical system, I've opted to just let nature take its course and I will enjoy whatever time I have left as fully as possibly with my beautiful wife of over 40 years, my family, friends, and my fans.
One of the absolute all-time greats. He's going to be doing one last round of signings. I feel very fortunate to have met him when I did.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
B5Erik (12-09-21), IBJoel (12-07-21)

Popular Reply

12-08-21, 06:50 PM
Red Hood
DVD Talk Legend

Received 820 Likes on 561 Posts
Re: George Perez reveals he has inoperable cancer

I took a whole day to process this news cause it hit hard at home for several reasons. First of all, me and my wife have known George and his wife for a while. We met at a con over 15 years ago and hit it off pretty quick, specially when we were able to say George's last name correctly, which the majority of the people mispronounced in this country. I have original artwork, commissions, signed books but most importantly, a friendship with George and Carol and it hurts me to see him have cancer after years of battling many illnesses from diabetes to a heart attack to blindness in one eye due to diabetes. He deserves better in the twilight of his life after so many years of hard work entertaining us.

In addition, we have had several family member pass away from pancreatic cancer, including my mother in law, over the last 5 years. It's painful, agonizing, and not the way to go out. Hopefully, George gets enough painkillers so that he doesn't suffer in his last few months remaining on this Earth.

Personally, I consider him to be the best in the business. He worked with almost every character imaginable at Marvel and DC and both companies and it's readers were better for it. Everything he touched was gold. Avengers, Fantastic Four, Justice League, New Teen Titans, Batman, Wonder Woman, Infinity Gauntlet, War of the Gods, the intercompany crossovers and so on. His drawing of these superheroes had character and emotions that leaped out of the pages and the readers could feel it. The death of Barry Allen, Supergirl, Batman's grieving of Jason Todd's death, Eros reactions to Thano's madness, and the list goes on. There will no other like him. Cheers to a great career but most important, a great human being. He's one of the few heroes of mine that I've met and live to the expectations of being an even greater person that I imagined.
Old 12-07-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Damn, that's sad news. Fuck cancer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bronkster:
B5Erik (12-09-21), John Pannozzi (12-09-21)
Old 12-07-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 662 Likes on 453 Posts

seconded. i haven't been a comic reader in decades, but I loved his work in Teen Titans as much as John Byrne's X-men
The following 2 users liked this post by Kurt D:
Adam Tyner (12-07-21), B5Erik (12-09-21)
Old 12-07-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 250 Likes on 181 Posts

Despite all the conventions I've been to, I've never got to meet him, because his lines were always so long. This is a bummer. If he comes anywhere near me for this last round of signings, I need to get my JLA/Avengers hardcover signed.
Old 12-07-21, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 468 Likes on 389 Posts

The artist of so many important series for me
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-07-21)
Old 12-07-21, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,042 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
seconded. i haven't been a comic reader in decades, but I loved his work in Teen Titans as much as John Byrne's X-men
It's easy to forget how Wolfman and Perez's NTT were right up there with Uncanny in popularity back in the day (with that crossover blowing my little mind). Such a prolific artist, with this knack for wanting to draw dozens and dozens of superheroes on a single page. I still remember being wowed by just the sheer number of characters in each panel of Crisis. Loving the revamped Wonder Woman. Being astonished that he even tried to do both Marvel and DC's big crossover specials at the same time (even if he had to eventually bow out of pencilling Infinity Gauntlet). And that second Avengers run with Busiek was incredible.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-08-21 at 01:55 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by fujishig:
Adam Tyner (12-07-21), B5Erik (12-09-21), John Pannozzi (12-09-21), Kurt D (12-07-21)
Old 12-07-21, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 422 Likes on 212 Posts

I met him and got a bunch of Avengers stuff signed back in the late 90's or early 2000's. He was super nice and didn't have a long line, but this was probably before the convention circuit really exploded.
The following 2 users liked this post by Obi-Wanma:
Adam Tyner (12-07-21), B5Erik (12-09-21)
Old 12-07-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 662 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
It's easy to forget how Wolfman and Perez's NTT were right up there with Uncanny in popularity back in the day (with that crossover blowing my little mind). Such a prolific artist, with this knack for wanting to draw dozens and dozens of superheroes on a single page. I still remember being wowed by just the sheer number of characters Crisis. Loving the revamped Wonder Woman. Being astonished that he even tried to do both Marvel and DC's big crossover specials at the same time (even if he had to eventually bow out of pencilling Infinity Gauntlet). And that second Avengers run with Busiek was incredible.
Regarding the first crossover, I literally had dreams about it in anticipation! Great work.
Old 12-07-21, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,042 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Regarding the first crossover, I literally had dreams about it in anticipation! Great work.
Imagine if Avengers/Justice League had been published when it was supposed to have been as well...
Kurt D (12-07-21)
Old 12-07-21, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 452 Likes on 389 Posts

My favorite comic book artist of all time. Such sad and terrible news. I hope and pray his remaining days on earth are filled with happiness.
The following 3 users liked this post by PhantomStranger:
B5Erik (12-09-21), John Pannozzi (12-07-21), Trevor (12-08-21)
Old 12-07-21, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Very sad to hear. Really appreciate his contribution to the industry.
The following 3 users liked this post by rexinnih:
B5Erik (12-09-21), John Pannozzi (12-07-21), Trevor (12-08-21)
Old 12-08-21, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Despite all the conventions I've been to, I've never got to meet him, because his lines were always so long. This is a bummer. If he comes anywhere near me for this last round of signings, I need to get my JLA/Avengers hardcover signed.
I cracked mine open tonight to give it a reread and totally forgot I'd had him sign it. I met him at a con in Chicago a decade or so ago. An incredibly nice guy, and I must have imposed on him to sign two books since I know I had him sign my Legion of Super-Heroes book (I have a LSH collection that I get signed by everyone I can who has ever worked on the title).

My favorite era in comics is the 80s, and George is one of a handful of artists who defined that era. I hope whatever time he has left is full of joy and free of pain.
The following 2 users liked this post by JasonF:
B5Erik (12-09-21), John Pannozzi (12-09-21)
Old 12-08-21, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This news hits hard. When I read about it, I was instantly transported back to 2000 when I took my father to the hospital for surgery related to diverticulosis and was told post-op that they found inoperable cancer and that he had 6 months to live. He too chose not to seek treatment but to live out the rest of his days at home as best he could.

Perez was an early favorite of mine after I read those Man Wolf stories in Marvel Premiere (I think that was the title). I'd look for anything he did after that and, despite the shoddy newsstand distribution I had to put up with, I'd be lucky enough to get several of his Fantastic Four and Avengers issues (still love #200). When I figured out that he jumped over to DC and landed on the Justice League, I was thrilled. Especially to get those JLA/JSA crossover issues. Somewhere into his Teen Titans run I found an actual comic book store close to my high school so I was able to pick up the back issues I'd missed on the newsstand and now have a full run of his TT. George is a legend who will go down as one of the best team book artists of all time - from Avengers to JLA to Crisis to the Avengers/JLA crossover, if you needed a lot of characters on the page while still being readable and dynamic, George was your artist.

My best to him and his family. You'll be missed, George.
The following 3 users liked this post by ytrez:
B5Erik (12-09-21), John Pannozzi (12-09-21), PhantomStranger (12-08-21)
Old 12-08-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 914 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I have a LSH collection that I get signed by everyone I can who has ever worked on the title
That is such a great idea!

I don't remember why, of all the many, many comics I have that Perez illustrated, I chose the Impossible Man-at-the-Marvel-offices issue of Fantastic Four to get signed. I could've chosen more of a landmark issue of Teen Titans for an autograph, but I was a huge Outsiders fan too, and I figured this would cover both bases.

The following 3 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
B5Erik (12-09-21), John Pannozzi (12-09-21), Red Hood (12-08-21)
Old 12-08-21, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 820 Likes on 561 Posts

I took a whole day to process this news cause it hit hard at home for several reasons. First of all, me and my wife have known George and his wife for a while. We met at a con over 15 years ago and hit it off pretty quick, specially when we were able to say George's last name correctly, which the majority of the people mispronounced in this country. I have original artwork, commissions, signed books but most importantly, a friendship with George and Carol and it hurts me to see him have cancer after years of battling many illnesses from diabetes to a heart attack to blindness in one eye due to diabetes. He deserves better in the twilight of his life after so many years of hard work entertaining us.

In addition, we have had several family member pass away from pancreatic cancer, including my mother in law, over the last 5 years. It's painful, agonizing, and not the way to go out. Hopefully, George gets enough painkillers so that he doesn't suffer in his last few months remaining on this Earth.

Personally, I consider him to be the best in the business. He worked with almost every character imaginable at Marvel and DC and both companies and it's readers were better for it. Everything he touched was gold. Avengers, Fantastic Four, Justice League, New Teen Titans, Batman, Wonder Woman, Infinity Gauntlet, War of the Gods, the intercompany crossovers and so on. His drawing of these superheroes had character and emotions that leaped out of the pages and the readers could feel it. The death of Barry Allen, Supergirl, Batman's grieving of Jason Todd's death, Eros reactions to Thano's madness, and the list goes on. There will no other like him. Cheers to a great career but most important, a great human being. He's one of the few heroes of mine that I've met and live to the expectations of being an even greater person that I imagined.
The following 10 users liked this post by Red Hood:
Adam Tyner (12-09-21), B5Erik (12-09-21), dlibby (12-09-21), John Pannozzi (12-09-21), Kurt D (12-08-21), majorjoe23 (12-09-21), Obi-Wanma (12-09-21), PhantomStranger (12-08-21), teameck (12-09-21), Trevor (12-08-21) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-09-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 208 Posts

Damn.

I just saw this on Facebook an hour ago. I'm devastated.

I've been so into football and the start of the college basketball season that I haven't had time to log in to my facebook comic groups. I did today, and BAM!!! It hit me like a ton of bricks.

To me, George will always be part of the greats - Jack Kirby, John Romita, John Buscema, and Neal Adams. George IS one of the all time greats. Period, exclamation point!

I grew up first reading comics in the mid 70's, right at the start of George's run on the Fantastic Four. George and Joltin' Joe Sinnott remain one of my all time favorite art teams, and my 2nd favorite FF team (barely behind Big John Buscema and Joltin' Joe). I also loved his art on the Marvel Two-In One and Avengers issues I read around that time. From there I got the preview of The New Teen Titans, and then the first dozen or so issues of that title, and loved George's work there, too.

He's been a favorite of mine ever since.

I've always felt good knowing that two of my all time favorites are still with us - John Romita, and George. Romita is on borrowed time, unfortunately, due to his age, and now we know that George is in his final months. THAT JUST SUCKS!!! I know as we get older it's inevitable that we are going to lose everyone we love - an unfortunate fact of life, but even knowing that, I'm still shocked and saddened. This is just horrible news.
The following 3 users liked this post by B5Erik:
John Pannozzi (12-09-21), PhantomStranger (12-10-21), Red Hood (12-09-21)
Old 12-09-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 312 Posts

A classmate and friend from high school and I always went to the local comic book shop and picked up our books and talked with artists and writers. We reconnected recently on Facebook and he would pop in and out with messages here and there. But we both had a love of George's artwork. We had just talked about George's 'retirement' when I found out my friend passed away. He was a private guy, didn't socialize much, but he had started to open up. At his service, I found out he had pancreatic cancer and was about to go in for treatment when he died suddenly. And now word that one of his favorite artists has the same makes me sad. I was collecting New Teen Titans and Wonder Woman. George's artwork along with John Byrne were my favorites. He always had the best splash pages and covers.
The following 3 users liked this post by devilshalo:
B5Erik (12-09-21), John Pannozzi (12-09-21), Red Hood (12-09-21)
Old 12-10-21, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No one drew The Thing better than George...

The following 2 users liked this post by B5Erik:
John Pannozzi (12-11-21), Trevor (12-11-21)
Old 12-18-21, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

GREAT recent interview with Perez here...

http://www.gamesradar.com/george-per...cer-diagnosis/

Besides being a massive talent (literally, one of the best comic book artists of all time), he's also the sweetest, kindest, most generous person you could hope to meet - he genuinely made the world a better place.
The following 3 users liked this post by slop101:
Hokeyboy (01-24-22), John Pannozzi (12-20-21), Red Hood (12-18-21)
Old 12-18-21, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

http://www.gamesradar.com/george-per...cer-diagnosis/

Besides being a massive talent (literally, one of the best comic book artists of all time), he's also the sweetest, kindest, most generous person you could hope to meet - he genuinely made the world a better place.
I read that a few days ago, and the more I read about George the more I like him - as a person. What a great guy. Suddenly I feel like I missed out by not meeting him.

But I couldn't like him any more as an artist, because I've loved his art since 1975! (First, Avengers 141, then Fantastic Four 167).
Old 12-18-21, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of Fantastic Four 167 (the first FF comic I ever bought), here's the fantastic splash page for that one courtesy of George and Joltin' Joe Sinnott!

John Pannozzi (12-20-21)
Old 01-23-22, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate to say it, but George is already starting to show outward signs of his cancer. He's starting to look frail. It's so hard to watch one of my all time favorite artists go through this. I'm just glad he's having a chance to do what amounts to a, "Farewell Tour," and people can tell him how much his work has meant to them!

Old 01-23-22, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I hate to say it, but George is already starting to show outward signs of his cancer. He's starting to look frail. It's so hard to watch one of my all time favorite artists go through this. I'm just glad he's having a chance to do what amounts to a, "Farewell Tour," and people can tell him how much his work has meant to them!

https://twitter.com/jilly_adams/stat...73858957078528
Honestly Marv Wolfman looks more frail than George Perez in this picture.
Old 01-23-22, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Honestly Marv Wolfman looks more frail than George Perez in this picture.
Neither one of them looks particularly healthy. Which is a real bummer - I love those guys!
Old 01-24-22, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 453 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

www.gamesra[dar.com/george-perez-cancer-diagnosis/
I hope I can approach my death with this same amount of bravery, dignity, contentment, acceptance, and positivity:
"Despite everything, I am happy. I am feeling so much love. I can't be sad."
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
John Pannozzi (01-24-22), Paul_SD (01-25-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.