Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

George Perez reveals he has inoperable cancer (Update: Dead at 67)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

George Perez reveals he has inoperable cancer (Update: Dead at 67)

Old 01-25-22, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: George Perez reveals he has inoperable cancer

Originally Posted by movieguru
Honestly Marv Wolfman looks more frail than George Perez in this picture.
That was my first reaction too.

This is Marv from around 2017-18

It was forty years ago this summer that I first discovered NTT and became a fan of both these creators. 22 is shaping up to be another grueling year.
Old 01-26-22, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Yeah Marv is 75 now. I met him at a con a few years ago. I had him sign Batman 442, and told him the book meant a lot to me, and I was a big Tim Drake fan. He didn't even say anything
Old 01-29-22, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
John Pannozzi (02-07-22), The Valeyard (01-29-22)
Old 01-29-22, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yeah Marv is 75 now. I met him at a con a few years ago. I had him sign Batman 442, and told him the book meant a lot to me, and I was a big Tim Drake fan. He didn't even say anything
To be fair, they probably hear comments like that a few hundred times per convention. There's only so many ways they can respond, and they probably use a few of the same responses over and over again. The best way to get a genuine response from them is to come out with something unique to ask them, perhaps something outside the realm of comics.
Old 01-31-22, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair, they probably hear comments like that a few hundred times per convention. There's only so many ways they can respond, and they probably use a few of the same responses over and over again. The best way to get a genuine response from them is to come out with something unique to ask them, perhaps something outside the realm of comics.
Of course, I get that. No problem taking my cash tho.
Old 02-07-22, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update on FB
Hello fans and friends, this is an update on behalf of George. Thank you for all of your well wishes and support. Your posts and comments bring him a lot of joy.

Presently George is admitted to the hospital dealing with an infection, that’s being treated with antibiotics. We anticipate him getting to go home in the next day or so. We ask please, for privacy at this time and if you need to reach out, please use the email on the page.

Re: The CGC signing, it is presently postponed indefinitely. Should rescheduling be possible, we will send out an update.

Thank you as always for all of your love and support. This part is directly from the man himself: “The strength I have and the will to persevere comes in great part, from all of you. Thank you”

-Constance
Old 02-07-22, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Update on FB
That's not sounding too good. It says they expect him to be home in a day or so, but that the CGC signing is indefinetly postponed. Hope he can make a recovery and spend some more time with his family.

Did anyone here submit any books with CGC for his private signing?
Old 02-07-22, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 176 Posts

I submitted three. I was surprised and happy to have the opportunity especially with a custom label available. I wish him and his family the best and enjoys the time left.
Old 02-07-22, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I submitted three. I was surprised and happy to have the opportunity especially with a custom label available. I wish him and his family the best and enjoys the time left.
I submitted 15. I had many multiples of a spec issue and wanted to see how a sample of them would grade. Then I sent in some other books for my personal collection. I figured I'm going to send in the spec copies eventually, so may as well send a few in now since it's not too much more than the blue labels and it helps out his family.
Old 02-08-22, 06:21 AM
Banned

That's not sounding too good. It says they expect him to be home in a day or so, but that the CGC signing is indefinetly postponed. Hope he can make a recovery and spend some more time with his family.

Did anyone here submit any books with CGC for his private signing?
I submitted 7 books. At the end of the day, I really don't care if the CGC signing goes through. Just hope that George gets to spend a little more time with family and friends
Old 02-08-22, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I submitted 7 books. At the end of the day, I really don't care if the CGC signing goes through. Just hope that George gets to spend a little more time with family and friends
I'm not worried either way if they cancel the signing. I normally don't send in books for grading. I just sent these in because I figured he'd want to collect as much as he could for his family. I am curious how they deal with cancellations though. If they just send the books back as is or do they give you the option of just having them graded unsigned. I don't know if CGC has ever cancelled a signing after book have already been shipped before.
Old 02-09-22, 11:49 AM
Banned

I'm not worried either way if they cancel the signing. I normally don't send in books for grading. I just sent these in because I figured he'd want to collect as much as he could for his family. I am curious how they deal with cancellations though. If they just send the books back as is or do they give you the option of just having them graded unsigned. I don't know if CGC has ever cancelled a signing after book have already been shipped before.
Knowing CGC, they will give options of having the books graded for a blue label or returned for full refund.
Old 02-14-22, 11:18 AM
Banned

George’s health has deteriorated pretty fast. He already had other issues like his diabetes before the cancer struck. Just hope that his remaining days go bye as painless as possible
Old 02-14-22, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts

Crap. I was worried that not treating the cancer would just expedite his end.

I love this guy. As an artist and a person. He deserves to be one of those comic creators who lives well into his 90's, like Stan, John Romita, Joe Sinnott, and Steve Ditko. He's handled this with grace and courage, but he shouldn't have to handle this at all.

Life isn't fair. I get that.

It just brings this quote to mind...

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (02-14-22)
Old 02-14-22, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

George’s health has deteriorated pretty fast. He already had other issues like his diabetes before the cancer struck. Just hope that his remaining days go bye as painless as possible
Sad. It doesn't sound like there is much time left if they've cancelled the signing all together. I feel like within a few weeks, we will all hear the news we know is coming.

I haven't received an email yet from CGC. I won't bother getting them graded with blue labels right now. I just hope they don't crack open the already graded blue label I sent in for the signing.
Old 02-15-22, 09:15 PM
Banned

Old 02-16-22, 12:38 PM
Banned

This should be a 10K run at the minimum. It's going to sell out fast. And honestly, it should be more than 10k. It should be available for stores to purchase at anytime and be able to give some money to the Perez family.

HERO INITIATIVE OFFERS LIMITED REPRINT OF JLA/AVENGERS

Collection from Marvel and DC in honor of George Pérez
LOS ANGELES, CA (February 16, 2022) – For the first time in decades, the acclaimed JLA/Avengers crossover will be reprinted by Hero Initiative, the charity dedicated to helping comic book creators in medical or financial need. With only 7000 copies being printed, Hero Initiative is honoring one of George Pérez seminal bodies of work and his long-time support of Hero.

JLA/Avengers will be available in March from participating comic book stores and will be distributed via Diamond Comic Distributors. This 288-page full color, softbound volume features the original 2003 four-issue co-publishing venture between DC and Marvel, written by Kurt Busiek with art by George Pérez. The book carries a retail price of $29.99 and is limited to 7000 copies.

This collection also features 64 pages of companion content and will reprint introductions by original Avengers writer/editor Stan Lee and Justice League of America editor Julius Schwartz. A bonus in the Hero Initiative edition is a new afterword by Kurt Busiek.

George Pérez is a founding member of Hero Initiative’s board of directors and has served as chair of its Disbursement Committee.
JLA/Avengers cover
The following 3 users liked this post by Red Hood:
John Pannozzi (02-17-22), PhantomStranger (02-16-22), will travel (02-17-22)
Old 02-16-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 841 Likes on 708 Posts

Wow, I have to snag that one fast.
Old 02-16-22, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,010 Likes on 712 Posts

Is this available now? Is it only orderable through Diamond?
Old 02-16-22, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This should be a 10K run at the minimum. It's going to sell out fast. And honestly, it should be more than 10k. It should be available for stores to purchase at anytime and be able to give some money to the Perez family.

I wish they would have sold these on the Heroes Initiative website. I would have gone and preordered it on there. I don't have a box at a local comic book store, so I can't have one reserved there and I don't go in there frequently enough to try and get there on release day if they even make them available that way.
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)
Old 02-16-22, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Is this available now? Is it only orderable through Diamond?
Is available now for comic shops to order through Diamond. You can order this through your comic shop but I imagine this will be heavily allocated. Like I said, it’s a mistake to only do 7k. The demand for this is easily 50k or more.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
John Pannozzi (02-17-22), majorjoe23 (02-16-22)
Old 02-16-22, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is available now for comic shops to order through Diamond. You can order this through your comic shop but I imagine this will be heavily allocated. Like I said, it’s a mistake to only do 7k. The demand for this is easily 50k or more.
I doubt I'll be able to get a copy of it as comic book stores will likely sell them to box holders first.
Old 02-16-22, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,943 Posts

If the book is going to be that heavily allocated, I suspect that many retailers will sell the copies they receive at premium over cover price.
Old 02-16-22, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,048 Likes on 864 Posts

Yeah, I’m sure they have reasons for limiting the run, but I would like to buy that and am pretty sure I won’t find one at the LCS I visit twice a year.
Old 02-17-22, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If the book is going to be that heavily allocated, I suspect that many retailers will sell the copies they receive at premium over cover price.

This is the fear right now. It seems that stores are going to receive 2-3 copies each. Several retailers ordered 7K, so I just hope that Diamond allocates equally and not by order number. I understand that the reason they are doing 7K now is because it will be ready in 2 weeks and hopefully George will be able to see it. Still, Marvel and DC should put out a statement saying that a new reprint of this book will come out at some point. The way this has been handled is too corporate for anyone's taste.
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.