DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   DC Comics - 2021 Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/652245-dc-comics-2021-thread.html)

Red Hood 01-21-21 03:34 PM

DC Comics - 2021 Thread

Let's start with some DC comics news

The Valeyard 01-22-21 06:17 PM

Re: DC Comics - 2021 Thread

I'm looking forward to the Joker book when it comes out after Future State. Like the idea of James Gordon hunting him across the world like the Fugitive.

Also, I'm interested in the Batman/Superman title with the 30s movie serial villains and the Crime Syndicate mini-series.

Red Hood 02-16-21 03:39 PM

FYI, the book Batman: The Dark Knight has been changed to Batman: Detective.

Red Hood 02-16-21 03:44 PM

As mentioned in the other thread

Red Hood 02-16-21 03:53 PM

Forgot to post this last week. Milestone is returning in a digital first run at DC Comics

fujishig 02-16-21 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13891891)
Forgot to post this last week. Milestone is returning in a digital first run at DC Comics

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1360228782720876551?s=20

Awesome!

I have to look but I wonder if Milestone is all up on DC Universe or if it's considered a separate entity. I still fondly remember reading those early issues (even if the extra color or whatever mechanism they used to stand out didn't really stand out to me).

PhantomStranger 02-16-21 06:06 PM

Supposedly all the issues with Milestone have been worked out. I expect Milestone characters start getting a heavy push across multiple mediums.

The Valeyard 02-17-21 01:31 AM

I'm excited that Milestone is finally back! It's been a long time coming.

Interested in Batman 89 with Sam Hamm's contribution. I'll give Superman 78 a shot but that movie is sacred to me. IMO, to this date, the greatest comic movie ever made. The comic would have to be VERY GOOD for me to collect.

Red Hood 03-11-21 07:38 PM

The Valeyard 03-12-21 06:05 AM

The Infinite Frontier initiative has been great so far. I had planned on dropping some titles after Death Metal & Future State but I ended up grabbing more after reading Infinite Frontier #0. Biggest surprise was how much I enjoyed Suicide Squad #1. Wonder Woman was the big winner from this week's batch.

Red Hood 03-12-21 07:43 AM

Batman: The Adventures Continue Season 2 coming May 6 digitally and then June 11 in print. This time the focus will be the Court of Owls. I see Deadman is also going to be part of this series and I wonder if they are going to touch on the details of Batman's last encounter with Boston Brand, in which to save Wonder Woman, Deadman took over Batman's body and picked up a gun and killed Devil Ray (a Black Manta version of the character)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8430873496.jpg

https://www.gamesradar.com/court-of-...RF6k0AQ9jk9LI4

Red Hood 03-12-21 07:49 PM

Red Hood 03-12-21 08:45 PM

More info on the Green Arrow 80th Anniversary Special

Red Hood 03-23-21 03:10 PM

Don't know what to think of this. Morrison has become so mediocre as of late

fujishig 03-23-21 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13910108)
Don't know what to think of this. Morrison has become so mediocre as of late

https://twitter.com/TheBurnham/statu...077712903?s=20

It's apparently two oversized issues and not an ongoing so I'm intrigued. I'd be more intrigued if it was an Elseworlds instead and wasn't tied down to continuity... anyone know what the deal is?

The Valeyard 03-23-21 05:59 PM

The current DC books lean heavily toward building the storylines we saw during Future State. There were some mentions of the Authority in the Future State Superman books. I guess we're now seeing the lead up to all of that. Or it's one of the new Earths being showcased across the Infinite Frontier.

Recently, I loved the first year of Morrison's Green Lantern. Second year was a bit trying.

PhantomStranger 03-24-21 04:06 PM

Many were unhappy with how Green Lantern's second season turned out by Morrison.

Red Hood 04-09-21 07:23 PM

Seems Tom King is working on a new Supergirl series

stingermck 04-09-21 08:03 PM

I look forward to issue long nursery rhymes and Kara attempting suicide

Red Hood 04-13-21 06:06 PM

This is what happens when people get fired and there's no one that communicates with their distributor or the retailers. The Joker #2 comes out tomorrow and out of nowhere, stores that ordered 50 copies, got this variant

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...d7084f1afb.png

Well, no one told retailers about this variant. It was sent secretly by Lunar for a book that is now priced at $5.99. Retailers are fuming because the book is selling for over $250 online and many didn't order enough copies as they didn't know this book was available. Basically, DC would have pushed the sales of this book if they had told retailers about the incentive. Same shit happened last year when the first appearance of Punchline was announced after the FOC had hit. Losing sales just because.

The Valeyard 04-14-21 11:46 PM

How many times has Image or Marvel released "surprise variants" that were randomly mixed in with a shipment. Marvel did it several times in 2019 with variant colors or alternate characters on a cover. Some stores would MAYBE get a copy if they ordered enough. Others, not a variant in site. Or how about when Walking Dead added pages to an issue that had a pink logo on the cover (or was it a pink signature?). News of these variants don't hit until the day before release because retailers didn't know they existed until after going through their inventory.

No cursing. Just retailers who mark up the price for sale the next day.

DC does it..... grab the pitchforks.

stingermck 04-15-21 05:19 AM

No shit! Surprise variants are nothing new and a good perk for a store that happened to order heavy.

DC has done some dumb stuff lately but this isn't one of them.

And if a store needs a $250 variant that bad, then close the doors.

Red Hood 04-15-21 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 13920553)
How many times has Image or Marvel released "surprise variants" that were randomly mixed in with a shipment. Marvel did it several times in 2019 with variant colors or alternate characters on a cover. Some stores would MAYBE get a copy if they ordered enough. Others, not a variant in site. Or how about when Walking Dead added pages to an issue that had a pink logo on the cover (or was it a pink signature?). News of these variants don't hit until the day before release because retailers didn't know they existed until after going through their inventory.

No cursing. Just retailers who mark up the price for sale the next day.

DC does it..... grab the pitchforks.

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 13920571)
No shit! Surprise variants are nothing new and a good perk for a store that happened to order heavy.

DC has done some dumb stuff lately but this isn't one of them.

And if a store needs a $250 variant that bad, then close the doors.

It's different in the way Marvel, Image and DC does it. Marvel and Image sends all retailers, no matter how many copies they ordered, a surprise variant every now and then. They don't do secret incentive variants. DC did it on a book that not only is overpriced out of the gate (Joker #2 $5.99) but did it only for stores that order at least 50 copies of the book. There are tons of retailers that didn't order this amount because they didn't sell that much of Joker #1 to begin with and ordering heavy on second issue like this is not a good business move. What makes this worse is that retailers could have been simply told to up their orders so they qualified for this.

DC is getting shit and deservedly so because of this. And yes, there are tons of retailers that could benefit from selling a $250 book online right now.

The Valeyard 04-17-21 06:49 AM

Agree to disagree.

Josh-da-man 04-17-21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13920612)
It's different in the way Marvel, Image and DC does it. Marvel and Image sends all retailers, no matter how many copies they ordered, a surprise variant every now and then. They don't do secret incentive variants. DC did it on a book that not only is overpriced out of the gate (Joker #2 $5.99) but did it only for stores that order at least 50 copies of the book. There are tons of retailers that didn't order this amount because they didn't sell that much of Joker #1 to begin with and ordering heavy on second issue like this is not a good business move. What makes this worse is that retailers could have been simply told to up their orders so they qualified for this.

DC is getting shit and deservedly so because of this. And yes, there are tons of retailers that could benefit from selling a $250 book online right now.

What is the point of DC doing an unannounced incentive variant like this?

If the whole point of "incentive" covers is to increase the retailer orders in order to qualify for the variant, what does DC get out doing a 1:50 variant this way? So, if a retailer was going to order 35 copies of a book, they would increase their order to 50 in order to get the variant, which they would then sell at a significant mark-up. If Johnny Retailer doesn't know there's a 1:50 variant coming out, he's only going to order those thirty-five copies.

Or does DC think that if they do enough unannounced variants that retailers will order extra copies of all of their titles?