Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Your favorite old comic books. What are your favorites?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Your favorite old comic books. What are your favorites?

Old 09-18-20, 04:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts
Re: Your favorite old comic books. What are your favorites?

Lots of nice memories in this thread. Several different time periods are my favorites.

First was the few years time span where I really first discovered comics with DC’s Plop! and then branched into their horror then superhero lines. The 100 page Super Spectaculars and Dollar Comics were my favorites. Pics if I wasn’t in a rush.
Old 09-19-20, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Lots of nice memories in this thread. Several different time periods are my favorites.

First was the few years time span where I really first discovered comics with DC’s Plop! and then branched into their horror then superhero lines. The 100 page Super Spectaculars and Dollar Comics were my favorites. Pics if I wasn’t in a rush.
Man, I forgot about Plop! My copies are long gone but I may have to rebuild that section of my collection.

The 100 pagers and Dollar Comics from DC were great. I remember picking up an issue of Adventure Comics off the newsstand while out with my family. I literally couldn't wait to read so did so on the walk home. I obviously lagged behind the rest of the family and, distracted by reading the Aquaman chapter, I almost got hit by a car while crossing the street. Alerted by the car horn, my mother turned around, grabbed me out of the road and took my comic away.

I think I'll buy this one too.

Someone also mentioned the Micronauts earlier. I don't know how I forgot that one. I still have the well worn, coverless copies of my youth, the Special Edition version of the early Michael Golden issues, and the entire collection of volumes 1 and 2 of that title.

I never had/read the entire series of the Human Fly, but I'm thinking of getting those issues too.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (09-23-20)
Old 09-22-20, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez

I never had/read the entire series of the Human Fly, but I'm thinking of getting those issues too.
I've never read any of those. I love that cover to #1, though. I wonder if Marvel will ever give it the TPB treatment. I'd bet the old issues are pretty badly yellowed and faded.
Old 09-23-20, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 208 Likes on 184 Posts

But did they have to pay a fee to the "real" Human Fly, whomever he might have been. Would they still have to pay some sort of fee?

I decided to look this up in Wiki and the character was based on Canadian stuntman Rick Rojatt. It doesn't say if he was compensated.

Last edited by DWilson; 09-23-20 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-26-20, 10:30 PM

Received 40 Likes on 13 Posts

I have strong feelings for the titles that were gateways for me:

It started with early GI JOE and Secret Wars.

I became hooked when I discovered Iron Man (Silver Centurion armor), which led to West Coast Avengers "Lost in Space-Time", which led to Avengers "Under Siege", and "Cap No More" in Captain America. Titles Mark Gruenwald led/worked-on were ones I was pretty obsessed with.

I bought pretty much any Marvel title shortly after the above. Peter David's Hulk run was mind-blowing to me. I loved the Handbook of the Marvel Universe. I was also excited to be able to find the New Universe titles easily as they were new at the time (Psi-Force and Justice were ones I especially liked, and DP7, of course [Gruenwald], was my favorite). And I can't forget I also was a big fan of the 12-issue Squadron Supreme mini (my exuberantly detailed fan letter to Mr Gruenwald promising/threatening him I'd also send a note after I found and read the Squadron Supreme graphic novel elicited a response from Gru himself with a nice note of thanks on Marvel letterhead-- and the GN; of course I sent him that promised fan letter detailing how much I liked it).

Then I saw Justice League International #18 on the stands. I was a Marvel Zombie at the time, but there is no way I couldn't buy an issue with that cover ("Guy Gardner is not having a nice day"), and I realized how blind I had been. DC had good stuff too! I devoured the JLI issues I had missed up to then and expanded into JLE, JLQ, and the related titles. Then bought most of the DC line.

Fell hard for Ostrander's Suicide Squad. Also really dug L.E.G.I.O.N. I liked the Superman titles (culminating in the Death/Return stories; it was such an exciting summer not knowing what was going to happen with those four Superman-but-not-Superman characters). The early Lobo (Giffen, Grant, Bisley) insanity...

I was accidentally sent an early Ennis/Dillon issue of Hellblazer when I was using an online subscription service, and now I was introduced to Vertigo. Not much of it clicked with me in the end, but that Hellblazer run was amazing.

I have always found my most love in super-hero comics. There is the occasional non-punchy title (Hate, Liberty Meadows, Lethargic Lad, 3 Geeks) I really liked, but I found most to be pretty tough to get into in general.

And, finally, my all-time favorite is the Legion of Super-Heroes "Five Years Later" run. Messy at times (resetting the universe-- twice-- in the first five issues), very different art, very dark (the box from Roxxas, Sun Boy's story), but completely unpredictable. There was so much story they wanted to tell, the book was just packed to the gills. It was like trying to solve a mystery reading every issue (made more difficult as I never really read the Legion previously). I was a Keith Giffen fan before, but the 5YL run put me on a mission to buy everything he worked on (a Quixotic quest, for sure-- and one I am pretty casual about; picking them up a few at a time when I see them). Not every issue/run of his has been gold, but Gif is a mad genius as far as I'm concerned and always worth picking up.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (09-28-20)
Old 09-28-20, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Five Years Later was just released in omnibus form.